Suggestions for good brake pad?

Old May 2nd 05, 02:21 AM
Julie P.

Default Suggestions for good brake pad?

Anyone know of a good brand of brake pads, preferably with a lifetime
warranty? My left pad is squealing, and it is Albany brand, from AutoZone,
but I've had to replace one or both of my pads about once every 18 months.
They do have a lifetime warranty though, which is nice.

Also, any recommendations for lifetime calipers? I've been through about 3
of them in 5 years. I am not sure if the caliper causes the pad to go bad,
or driving too long with the brakes squealing causes the caliper to go bad.
When I inspect the brakes usually when this occurs, the pad is all crumbled
and the piston has come out from the cylinder at an angle. I assume this
means the caliper is bad too and not salvageable.

Thanks!

Julie

Old May 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
Bruce Chang

"Julie P." > wrote in message
> Anyone know of a good brand of brake pads, preferably with a lifetime
> warranty? My left pad is squealing, and it is Albany brand, from AutoZone,
> but I've had to replace one or both of my pads about once every 18 months.
> They do have a lifetime warranty though, which is nice.
>
> Also, any recommendations for lifetime calipers? I've been through about 3
> of them in 5 years. I am not sure if the caliper causes the pad to go bad,
> or driving too long with the brakes squealing causes the caliper to go
> bad. When I inspect the brakes usually when this occurs, the pad is all
> crumbled and the piston has come out from the cylinder at an angle. I
> assume this means the caliper is bad too and not salvageable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Julie

I'd take the pad that's all crumbly back to autozone and ask for your money
back because you don't want to replace your pads with a shoddy brake lining
again. Take your money and go to Pep boys and buy some Raybestos brake
pads. The Pro-stop line is about the same price as Autozone's Albany pads.

For the caliper, depending on how cocked the piston has gotten, you may not
be able to save it. You'll just have to look and see if there's any scoring
or pitting on the piston's bore. I'm not sure if you can buy the piston
separately but you can buy a caliper rebuild kit.

Just squealing doesn't mean the pads are bad, though if it's the wear
indicator squealing, it just means your pads are getting thin. Some cars
are more prone to squealing than others especially when you start using
semi-metallic linings. I know for my brake pads, I bend the tabs over so
that it hugs the caliper which should reduce the chance that the pad will
squeal.

Good luck,

-Bruce

Old May 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
el Diablo

"Julie P." > wrote in message
> Anyone know of a good brand of brake pads, preferably with a lifetime
> warranty? My left pad is squealing, and it is Albany brand, from AutoZone,
> but I've had to replace one or both of my pads about once every 18 months.
> They do have a lifetime warranty though, which is nice.
>
> Also, any recommendations for lifetime calipers? I've been through about 3
> of them in 5 years. I am not sure if the caliper causes the pad to go bad,
> or driving too long with the brakes squealing causes the caliper to go
> bad. When I inspect the brakes usually when this occurs, the pad is all
> crumbled and the piston has come out from the cylinder at an angle. I
> assume this means the caliper is bad too and not salvageable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Julie

There are only lifetime warranties, not lifetime brake pads. They will wear
out, that's why you don't see any of the high dollar pads advertised as
lifetime. Get a set of Bendix Ceramics and stop when you want to.

Brian

Old May 3rd 05, 01:55 PM
*

el Diablo > wrote in article

> There are only lifetime warranties, not lifetime brake pads. They will

wear
> out, that's why you don't see any of the high dollar pads advertised as
> lifetime. Get a set of Bendix Ceramics and stop when you want to.

The advantages of Ceramic pads are noise and dust......

They do NOT stop better than a semi-metallic pad.

Old May 4th 05, 12:53 AM
el Diablo

"*" > wrote in message

> el Diablo > wrote in article
>>

>> There are only lifetime warranties, not lifetime brake pads. They will

> wear
>> out, that's why you don't see any of the high dollar pads advertised as
>> lifetime. Get a set of Bendix Ceramics and stop when you want to.
>>

> The advantages of Ceramic pads are noise and dust......
>
> They do NOT stop better than a semi-metallic pad.

Says you.......

Old May 4th 05, 08:12 PM
*

el Diablo > wrote in article

> "*" > wrote in message
> >

> > el Diablo > wrote in article
> >>

> >> There are only lifetime warranties, not lifetime brake pads. They will

> > wear
> >> out, that's why you don't see any of the high dollar pads advertised

as
> >> lifetime. Get a set of Bendix Ceramics and stop when you want to.
> >>

> > The advantages of Ceramic pads are noise and dust......
> >
> > They do NOT stop better than a semi-metallic pad.
> >

> Says you.......

.....and every brake pad manufacturer's technical information......if you
are able to read it!

Old May 4th 05, 11:30 PM
el Diablo

"*" > wrote in message

> el Diablo > wrote in article
>>
>> "*" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > el Diablo > wrote in article

>> > wear

> as
>> >>

>> > The advantages of Ceramic pads are noise and dust......
>> >
>> > They do NOT stop better than a semi-metallic pad.
>> >

>> Says you.......
>>

> ....and every brake pad manufacturer's technical information......if you
> are able to read it!

Ya I can read, possibly some day you will be able to comprehend what you
read.

http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/survey/brakes3.html

http://www.stealth316.com/2-brakeupgrade.htm

Old May 5th 05, 01:34 PM
*

el Diablo > wrote in article

> Ya I can read,

Apparently you can't.....

.....I said to go to the actual manufacturers' technical specs....not quote
the opinions of un-trained automotive enthusiasts or magazine "tests" -
which are usually biased towards whomever bought the biggest ad in that
particular issue.

> possibly some day you will be able to comprehend what you
> read.

I already know what the actual *BRAKING COMPONENT MANUFACTURERS* - such as
Raybestos and Wagner - are saying about the products they manufacture and
sell.....

......and the benefits that they are attributing to ceramic pads are noise
suppression and dust reduction......NOT better stopping qualities.

Old May 5th 05, 10:07 PM

Has anyone ever used the pads that Satisfied Brakes
manufactures?

They claim to manufacture under their own brand and
rebrand their parts for other suppliers.

Old May 5th 05, 11:23 PM
el Diablo

"*" > wrote in message

> el Diablo > wrote in article
>>

>> Ya I can read,

> Apparently you can't.....
>
> ....I said to go to the actual manufacturers' technical specs....not quote
> the opinions of un-trained automotive enthusiasts or magazine "tests" -
> which are usually biased towards whomever bought the biggest ad in that
> particular issue.
>

>> possibly some day you will be able to comprehend what you
>> read.
>>

> I already know what the actual *BRAKING COMPONENT MANUFACTURERS* - such as
> Raybestos and Wagner - are saying about the products they manufacture and
> sell.....
>

> .....and the benefits that they are attributing to ceramic pads are noise
> suppression and dust reduction......NOT better stopping qualities.

Guess you're a salesman huh....

Always trust the OEM sales adds!

They won't steer you wrong......

95 J30 parking brake adjustment problem suren Technology 3 March 31st 05 04:32 AM
strange brake problem Nadia Audi 9 March 2nd 05 07:38 PM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 03:21 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? HerHusband VW water cooled 0 January 1st 05 02:08 AM
Car Brake Pads Installed Incorrectly eddy eagle General 0 August 11th 04 12:27 PM