Discovery water leaks

Old August 22nd 04, 05:15 PM
kezoe

Default Discovery water leaks

I have a 300 tdi Land Rover Discovery which I suspect is losing water
albeit very slowly.

Has anybody had a water pump go on one of these and know what the
signs are? There is a trickle of water running down the front nearside
of the block when cold but I don't know if this is Water Pump failure
or the gasket between the housing of the water pump and the block.

Thanks for amy help

Old August 23rd 04, 04:35 PM
DaddyMonkey

first, clean the front of the engine.

then, disconnect the cooling fan to eliminate the 'blast' of air hitting
it.
AC off

sit back and 'watch' the engine while cold.

Old August 25th 04, 07:10 AM
fanie

All I can say is get it fixed now. I have just spent a big fortune
rebuilding my 300TDi after it lost a little water.

These engines blow up in about 5 seconds and give very little warning. It
seems quite normal to have to renew the cylinder head etc which all adds up
to big loot so be warned and get yours fixed now.

I would also suggest fitting some sort of vehicle alarm that will start
buzzing/flashing when either the oil temp/pressure and water temp/level
exceed set normal parameters as this could help avoid my situtation.

Regards
Stephen
PS I thought that it would not happen to me as I always drive with one eye
on the gauge and tend to drive slowly.

Old August 26th 04, 05:22 PM
kezoe

HHmmm, that's interesting.

When I bought the car a year ago it had to go back and have a new
cylinder head under warranty.

Makes me think only the symptom was cured and not the source of the
problem. Will heed your advice. Have since found out that there is a
replacement metal gasket available for the water pump gallery where it
enters the engine. This replaces the known troublesome paper version.