Death of r.a.s.

Old May 13th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Death of r.a.s.

Well it looks like this is a slow and painfull death.

From the 12,000 posts per month in 2000, we're now to almost less than 500.
A thread or two per day if we exclude non-related cross-postings. Perhaps
we shall all move on to rscnet, and sacrifice our freedom of speech on an
ugly web board.

I've seen my share of Usenet newsgroup death, and the decay rate here is
pretty much in the same pattern as all those previous ones. Inevitable.

R.I.P.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old May 13th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

ymenard wrote:
> Well it looks like this is a slow and painfull death.
>
> From the 12,000 posts per month in 2000, we're now to almost less than 500.
> A thread or two per day if we exclude non-related cross-postings. Perhaps
> we shall all move on to rscnet, and sacrifice our freedom of speech on an
> ugly web board.
>
> I've seen my share of Usenet newsgroup death, and the decay rate here is
> pretty much in the same pattern as all those previous ones. Inevitable.
>

> R.I.P.

I suspect two causes: that a number of ISPs are shutting down
their NNTP servers, making free news a thing of the past, and the
flame wars that seems prevalent on this and many groups. (I'm not
saying htis group is as bad for flamewars as some others, but,
hey, you know it happens here.)

I look at the list of groups I'm subscribed to, and it shrinks
every year. I'm now down to five groups. One of them is moderated,
and two are extremely low volumn paddling groups. So there's
r.a.s. and a guitar-related group. The guitar group seems to do
pretty well at keeping things easy-going. Flames sputter out in no
time.

We get what we deserve, I guess.
--
Darryl

Old May 13th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

That's sad. I remember all the flame wars you used to get into back in
the IndyCar II days. LOL

What kind of stuff has been said here lately that you can't say on RSC?

Old May 13th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

ymenard wrote:
> Well it looks like this is a slow and painfull death.
>
> From the 12,000 posts per month in 2000, we're now to almost less than 500.
> A thread or two per day if we exclude non-related cross-postings. Perhaps
> we shall all move on to rscnet, and sacrifice our freedom of speech on an
> ugly web board.
>
> I've seen my share of Usenet newsgroup death, and the decay rate here is
> pretty much in the same pattern as all those previous ones. Inevitable.
>

> R.I.P.

Look at the date messages took a plunge and then look at the messages
from that date. You will see someone named Mitch stirring up trouble and
causing many people to leave.
Old May 13th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"ymenard" > wrote in
:

> Well it looks like this is a slow and painfull death.
>
> From the 12,000 posts per month in 2000, we're now to almost less than
> 500. A thread or two per day if we exclude non-related cross-postings.
> Perhaps we shall all move on to rscnet, and sacrifice our freedom of
> speech on an ugly web board.
>
> I've seen my share of Usenet newsgroup death, and the decay rate here
> is pretty much in the same pattern as all those previous ones.
> Inevitable.
>

> R.I.P.

quality not quantity
Old May 13th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

ymenard wrote:
> Well it looks like this is a slow and painfull death.
>
> From the 12,000 posts per month in 2000, we're now to almost less than 500.
> A thread or two per day if we exclude non-related cross-postings. Perhaps
> we shall all move on to rscnet, and sacrifice our freedom of speech on an
> ugly web board.
>
> I've seen my share of Usenet newsgroup death, and the decay rate here is
> pretty much in the same pattern as all those previous ones. Inevitable.

Not sure it is so painful. What remains is generally a core of generally
sensible people that will respond quickly to a genuine request for info
and can give an educated insight into sim racing developments. Many of
the other forums is like trawling through treacle to find the relevant
bits and regardless of the moderation is full of fanboy vs hater posts.

There are just so many forums now. Taking LFS as an example RSC has
minimal activity on this now, with the official LFS forum as the
definitive place to go. We also have forums for most products - and
there are a lot of products now compared with the good old days of Papy
sim racers vs DGF

It is the fragmentation of sim racing that is taking its toll on RAS
IMHO. I am sure it will continue for some time yet though.

Cheers
Tony

Old May 13th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

rex roland wrote:

> Look at the date messages took a plunge and then look at the messages
> from that date. You will see someone named Mitch stirring up trouble and
> causing many people to leave.

Well in the peak of 2000, when we had 12000 posts in one month Bruce was
compelled to write on July 23rd 2000

> In all the years that I have been posting to RAS I have never been so
> amazed at the behaviour of some as I have been over the past several
> days.

snip

> I, for one, have nothing but contempt for the morals and behaviour of
> some who have posted here over the last week. I feel as if I've
> trodden in something rather nasty.

So maybe it is the lack of flame wars that has seen the demise in posts!
Not suggesting we want some, mind - I don't care about the number of posts.

Cheers
Tony

Old May 13th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Been using Google newsgroups forever..not all that bad. I
actually prefer it. Used to be called DejaNews,I think. Here's the link
http://groups.google.com/ Steve P

Old May 13th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Mitch killed r.a.s. a long time ago...

Old May 13th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"Tango" > wrote
> quality not quantity

Erm... I've fast readed the threads for the past months, and I see the same
thing as ever. There was and will always be quality here.

Quantity ain't just here anymore. Time to move on...

Restaurant owner gets no jail in crash death gpsman Driving 2 April 28th 06 08:56 PM
Trip to Death Valley Carl Jeep 19 April 25th 06 04:09 AM
Death toll from road accidents 390 times that from terrorism laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 43 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Investigators Blame Stupidity in Area Death Larry Bud Driving 1 May 24th 05 09:51 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM