'96 radio

Old October 31st 05, 04:46 PM
Tony

Default '96 radio

I'd like to upgrade the standard casette radio and speakers on my '96
with something that you can actually hear with the top down, and
preferably with some kind of connection for an iPod - any suggestions
out there?

ToplessTony
Old October 31st 05, 11:11 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Tony,

There's an item in the "new and hot" section on miata.net, they call it:
Audio Link from I.L. Motorsport, I believe it uses the input connection
usually used by the remote 6 disk in the back of the unit. Don't know if
this helps you. If you can do headrest speakers, I recomend the MAX-5
speakers, they're as good sounding as they are reasonable in price.

Good luck,
Chris
92BB&T

.. .

Old November 1st 05, 03:48 AM
XS11E

Tony > wrote in
:

> I'd like to upgrade the standard casette radio and speakers on my
> '96 with something that you can actually hear with the top down,

I have no problems hearing my standard casette radio and speakers in my
1992 at freeway speeds up to 75mph. Just turn up the headrest speakers
as far as the knob will allow and lean back...

BTW, I'm mostly deaf but have no trouble hearing the radio, have you
had a hearing check recently? Is it possible you might be developing
some hearing loss?

> and preferably with some kind of connection for an iPod - any
> suggestions out there?

Well, that explains the hearing loss.... ;-)

Old November 1st 05, 04:39 AM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> Tony > wrote in
> :
>
>> I'd like to upgrade the standard casette radio and speakers on my
>> '96 with something that you can actually hear with the top down,

> I have no problems hearing my standard casette radio and speakers in my
> 1992 at freeway speeds up to 75mph. Just turn up the headrest speakers
> as far as the knob will allow and lean back...
>
> BTW, I'm mostly deaf but have no trouble hearing the radio, have you
> had a hearing check recently? Is it possible you might be developing
> some hearing loss?
>
>> and preferably with some kind of connection for an iPod - any
>> suggestions out there?

> Well, that explains the hearing loss.... ;-)

I have a 96+. with stock cassette/radio and door speakers. I added
Infinity 3.5" headrest speakers and find them to be essentially useless.
As I increase the fade to the HR speakers I have to turn the volume up,
ending up pretty much where I started, unless I slouch down and press my
head against the headrest (I am not tall, by the way - only 5'9"). I can
listen to talk radio with the volume cranked to max, but music is pretty
pointless.

Old November 1st 05, 04:43 AM
XS11E

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

> I have a 96+. with stock cassette/radio and door speakers. I
> added Infinity 3.5" headrest speakers and find them to be
> essentially useless. As I increase the fade to the HR speakers I
> have to turn the volume up, ending up pretty much where I started,
> unless I slouch down and press my head against the headrest (I am
> not tall, by the way - only 5'9"). I can listen to talk radio
> with the volume cranked to max, but music is pretty pointless.

I have the stock headrest speakers, no problems. I set the door
speakers in the middle of the adjustment and the headrest speakers to
max, I've never had to turn the volume all the way up so I must confess
I'm very puzzled by what I'm reading here?????

Old November 1st 05, 12:37 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

>"XS11E" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Tony > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I'd like to upgrade the standard casette radio and speakers on my
>>> '96 with something that you can actually hear with the top down,

>> I have no problems hearing my standard casette radio and speakers in my
>> 1992 at freeway speeds up to 75mph. Just turn up the headrest speakers
>> as far as the knob will allow and lean back...
>>
>> BTW, I'm mostly deaf but have no trouble hearing the radio, have you
>> had a hearing check recently? Is it possible you might be developing
>> some hearing loss?
>>
>>> and preferably with some kind of connection for an iPod - any
>>> suggestions out there?

>> Well, that explains the hearing loss.... ;-)
>>

>I have a 96+. with stock cassette/radio and door speakers. I added
>Infinity 3.5" headrest speakers and find them to be essentially useless.
>As I increase the fade to the HR speakers I have to turn the volume up,
>ending up pretty much where I started, unless I slouch down and press my
>head against the headrest (I am not tall, by the way - only 5'9"). I can
>listen to talk radio with the volume cranked to max, but music is pretty
>pointless.

Did you do the head rest rewiring fix. The headrest speakers on my 96
were completely miswired and inaudible. They did not even produce both
stereo sides.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 1st 05, 09:23 PM
Frank Berger

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>

>>"XS11E" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Tony > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I have no problems hearing my standard casette radio and speakers in my
>>> 1992 at freeway speeds up to 75mph. Just turn up the headrest speakers
>>> as far as the knob will allow and lean back...
>>>
>>> BTW, I'm mostly deaf but have no trouble hearing the radio, have you
>>> had a hearing check recently? Is it possible you might be developing
>>> some hearing loss?

>>> Well, that explains the hearing loss.... ;-)
>>>

>>I have a 96+. with stock cassette/radio and door speakers. I added
>>Infinity 3.5" headrest speakers and find them to be essentially useless.
>>As I increase the fade to the HR speakers I have to turn the volume up,
>>ending up pretty much where I started, unless I slouch down and press my
>>head against the headrest (I am not tall, by the way - only 5'9"). I can
>>listen to talk radio with the volume cranked to max, but music is pretty
>>pointless.

> Did you do the head rest rewiring fix. The headrest speakers on my 96
> were completely miswired and inaudible. They did not even produce both
> stereo sides.

Supposedly my late '96 doesn't need the fix.

Old November 1st 05, 09:30 PM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I have a 96+. with stock cassette/radio and door speakers. I
>> added Infinity 3.5" headrest speakers and find them to be
>> essentially useless. As I increase the fade to the HR speakers I
>> have to turn the volume up, ending up pretty much where I started,
>> unless I slouch down and press my head against the headrest (I am
>> not tall, by the way - only 5'9"). I can listen to talk radio
>> with the volume cranked to max, but music is pretty pointless.

> I have the stock headrest speakers, no problems. I set the door
> speakers in the middle of the adjustment and the headrest speakers to
> max, I've never had to turn the volume all the way up so I must confess
> I'm very puzzled by what I'm reading here?????

Now I'm puzzled. On my stock late '96 cassette radio, there is a volume
adjustment and a fader. No separate settings for front and rear. Unless
you mean the volume in the middle and and fader to max headrest. At that
setting, I can pretty much not hear the headrest speakers, like I said,
unless I scrunch down. Maybe there is an impedence mismatch between the
stock door speakers and the Infinity headrest speakers. I don't know.

Old November 3rd 05, 12:56 AM
XS11E

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

>> I have the stock headrest speakers, no problems. I set the door
>> speakers in the middle of the adjustment and the headrest
>> speakers to max, I've never had to turn the volume all the way up
>> so I must confess I'm very puzzled by what I'm reading here?????
>>

> Now I'm puzzled. On my stock late '96 cassette radio, there is a
> volume adjustment and a fader. No separate settings for front and
> rear. Unless you mean the volume in the middle and and fader to
> max headrest.

According to the manual and the markings on the knobs, the on/off knob
controls volume, the rear knob with the little lever controls volume of
the headrest speakers only, it's not a fader like most radios have
because it doesn't affect the volume of the door speakers.

It's a very different radio in many ways, notice there's no dimming of
the radio lights with the dash light adjustment, you can only turn the
radio lights on and off... very weird.

Other weirdness: the cruise control loses it's speed setting if the
speed drops under 25mph, if you slow way down for some reason you can't
use the resume, you have to get up to speed and set it again. I really
don't like that at all, I'd like it to retain the setting like other
cars do.

The electrics are not like any other car I've ever had but this is my
first Mazda.
Old November 3rd 05, 04:25 PM
Frank Berger

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Frank Berger" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> I have the stock headrest speakers, no problems. I set the door
>>> speakers in the middle of the adjustment and the headrest
>>> speakers to max, I've never had to turn the volume all the way up
>>> so I must confess I'm very puzzled by what I'm reading here?????
>>>

>> Now I'm puzzled. On my stock late '96 cassette radio, there is a
>> volume adjustment and a fader. No separate settings for front and
>> rear. Unless you mean the volume in the middle and and fader to
>> max headrest.

> According to the manual and the markings on the knobs, the on/off knob
> controls volume, the rear knob with the little lever controls volume of
> the headrest speakers only, it's not a fader like most radios have
> because it doesn't affect the volume of the door speakers.

One mystery solved. This is not my OEM unit. Couldn't find a picture
on-line.

..

Replacement for stock 92 Passat radio w/ActivX Edvardo VW water cooled 2 July 26th 05 10:12 PM
Audi Radio: Delta CC in 96 Audi Cab doesn't turn on...... [email protected] Audi 4 March 19th 05 01:28 PM
2004 TJ Radio Removal? Intergate Jeep 2 February 10th 05 01:52 AM
97 explorer radio lights Don-Don Ford Explorer 1 October 27th 04 01:48 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM