Stainless steel exhaust studs - are they a good idea?

Old March 11th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bluedc

Default Stainless steel exhaust studs - are they a good idea?

I have my engine out at the moment and some of the exhaust studs are
looking a bit rough so I intend to replace them. Some of the VW shops
in the UK sell stainless steel exhaust studs - I just wanted to see if
anyone had any thoughts on these before I go ahead and swap all mine
over.

Thanks

Will
Old March 12th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> looking a bit rough so I intend to replace them. Some of the VW shops
> in the UK sell stainless steel exhaust studs - I just wanted to see if
> anyone had any thoughts on these before I go ahead and swap all mine
> over.

I've never used stainless steel studs myself. But I do know that
whatever you use in terms of threaded fasteners, you need to apply a
generous amount of anti-seize compound to the threads before you
assemble anything. It will make your life much easier in the future.

Chris
Old March 12th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
The busman

Stainless will gall and seize if you don't use anti-seize. I'm not sure what
the benefit of SST studs would be.
Andy

Old March 12th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Chris,s suggestion that anti-seize should be used is one of those
fundamental truths that should be etched in stone and hung on the garage
wall. Innumerable barked knuckles and obscenities bear testament.!
John

Old March 12th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Stafford[_3_]

I would pass on the stainless studs because they can gall and freeze and
also not reach the recommended torque specifications. You would have to
use anti-seize on them just as you should with high-carbon steel, and
you are still left with a questionable installation with stainless.
Old March 12th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Mar 12, 5:31 am, John Stafford > wrote:
> I would pass on the stainless studs because they can gall and freeze and
> also not reach the recommended torque specifications. You would have to
> use anti-seize on them just as you should with high-carbon steel, and
> you are still left with a questionable installation with stainless.

I agree with John, and the new Street Rodder Magazine has an article
with Doc Hammett, owner (along with the lovely Linda) of Totally
Stainless. Along with other pearls of wisdom (such as you CAN re-use
Nylock nuts, up to a point) he says the same thing as John about not
reaching proper torque specs, in some applications. I can also, from
first hand experience ($$$$) what happens when you have polished
stainless spring perches, for an early Ford front end, and even in
mock-up stage, with the nuts just on snug,what will happen if you
don't use anti-sieze... you end up taking them off with a torch. Ouch,
lesson learned.
Old March 13th 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"John" > wrote in message
> Chris,s suggestion that anti-seize should be used is one of those
> fundamental truths that should be etched in stone and hung on the garage
> wall. Innumerable barked knuckles and obscenities bear testament.!
> John

I only use copper or brass(my first choice) nuts on standard steel studs...
no problems removing them...

Old March 13th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/11/2010 08:15 AM, Bluedc wrote:
> I have my engine out at the moment and some of the exhaust studs are
> looking a bit rough so I intend to replace them. Some of the VW shops
> in the UK sell stainless steel exhaust studs - I just wanted to see if
> anyone had any thoughts on these before I go ahead and swap all mine
> over.
>
> Thanks
>
> Will

Far more important than that is to use anti-seize and also copper or
brass nuts, not steel.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 14th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> > Chris,s suggestion that anti-seize should be used is one of those
> > fundamental truths that should be etched in stone and hung on the garage
> > wall. *Innumerable barked knuckles and *obscenities *bear testament.!
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * John

> I only use copper or brass(my first choice) nuts on standard steel studs....
> no problems removing them...

And that works...provided you have the hardware.

For everyone else, a generous swab of anti-seize(and don't be shy
about it...) on the exhaust parts will ensure you can take it apart
down the road without breaking the studs off and then pitching a fit
when you have to buy a heli-coil kit to fix the mess.....

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old March 14th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
>> > Chris,s suggestion that anti-seize should be used is one of those
>> > fundamental truths that should be etched in stone and hung on the
>> > garage
>> > wall. Innumerable barked knuckles and obscenities bear testament.!
>> > John

>> I only use copper or brass(my first choice) nuts on standard steel
>> studs...
>> no problems removing them...

>And that works...provided you have the hardware.

it's all in what works for folks and what their preference is..... Years
ago I bought some copper exhaust nuts at the same time I bought copper
exhaust gaskets... since then I went to brass nuts that are a smaller size
than the stock nuts... you can buy them at most vw retailers, or do as I
did, I spent the five bucks the anti-seize would have cost me on 100 brass
nuts (11mm wrench size and taller than the steel stockers).....