Nose cone bushing

Old March 2nd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Rogers

Default Nose cone bushing

I have a question.
I need to replace the nose cone seal and bushing in two trikes (mine)
Can they be replaced without taking out the motor and trans. Or can I knock
out the seal and do a quick fix..

Thanks.
Michael

Old March 3rd 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Hal

On Mar 2, 8:45*am, "Michael Rogers" > wrote:
> I have a question.
> I need to replace the nose cone seal and bushing in two trikes (mine)
> Can they be replaced without taking out the motor and trans. *Or can I knock
> out the seal and do a quick fix..

The repair kit for the nosecone should include two bushings and a
seal. The front bushing holds the seal, and yes, it can be replaced
without removing the transaxle from the vehicle. Grab the old bushing
with some slip-joint pliers and twist and pull and it will come out. A
socket of the right size can be used to put the new one in. But the
inner bushing cannot be replaced this way, you have to take the
nosecone off and remove the shift rod to change it. You need to pull
the transaxle to do that. I would say pull it to fix it right. If you
want to try and get away with a quick fix you could change the seal
and the forward bushing and hope for the best. Make sure you clean up
the end of the shift rod where the set screw goes in so it does not
have any burrs on it, otherwise you might destroy the new seal during
installation.

Good luck with it.

Chris