Nascar Simulation New Video at EA

Old January 12th 05, 05:07 AM
ymenard

>"Alan Le" > wrote
> Hands on the wheel looked fine to me... like someone with a bad setup
> doing
> too much steering. Honestly, other than the 38 car going airborne from
> what
> looked like minimal contact, I didn't see anything indicating it'll be
> worse
> than, the same as, or better than NR2003.

I'm giving you an hint : Two letter word starting with E, and ending with
an A.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old January 12th 05, 06:21 AM
murph1012

Here's a bunch more words;

"Online Play: PS2 (EA SPORTS Nation)"

and

"Online Play: Xbox Live"

--
1904 - Daytona Beach Florida

Glenn H. Curtiss American aviation pioneer, makes first official 60mph
motorcycle run.
Powered by one of the first American made twin cylinder engines.

Old January 12th 05, 09:06 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:20:13 +1100, Bruce Kennewell wrote:
> Why do these releases (previews) have to be accompanied by "exciting"
> music??!

Have you ever watched a recent NASCAR TV broadcast? They do it, too
(mostly during the race recaps and crashes), so it has to be part of
the sim. I really wonder what audience they're trying to please with
that, but that's a completely different matter ;^)

Cheers uwe

Old January 12th 05, 10:18 AM
Damien Smith

And here's a few more .... '...former Papyrus employees working on the
game....."

Old January 12th 05, 02:23 PM
JP

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"Braddo" > wrote
> > http://www.easports.com/games/nascar.../exclusive.jsp

> Looks like they are cloning everything Papyrus has done. Really it's all
> there, from the GUI to the replays and all. You know, anybody could do

the
> same movie with NR2003 and tight editing, bing bang whoosh sounds and rock
> music. The way the car goes down the apron is laughable at Bristol. Take
> this the guy who was whining about N3's apron. N3 was HALF A DECADE ago.
>
> Btw if you check the static shots, the textures are very low-res. Shame
> again.
>
> Oh and that crash in the end... yikes that was ugly.
>

> --
> -- François Ménard <ymenard>
> -- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez
> Corporation - helping America into the New World...

<laughter> Yes, and Papy's collision code is soooo well done <sarcasm
mode off>

Wrecks on the EA clip looked just like a typical 03 wreck. O3 cars do
the exact same thing at Bristol's apron too.

p.s. the N3 comment was to show an example, but I guess to a blind fanboy,
the common sense/obvious can be hard to see at times.

Old January 12th 05, 02:49 PM
JP

"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >"Braddo" > wrote
> > http://www.easports.com/games/nascar.../exclusive.jsp

> Looks like they are cloning everything Papyrus has done. Really it's all
> there, from the GUI to the replays and all. You know, anybody could do

the
> same movie with NR2003 and tight editing, bing bang whoosh sounds and rock
> music. The way the car goes down the apron is laughable at Bristol. Take
> this the guy who was whining about N3's apron. N3 was HALF A DECADE ago.
>
> Btw if you check the static shots, the textures are very low-res. Shame
> again.
>
> Oh and that crash in the end... yikes that was ugly.

Btw, the entire point here is simple; NSR may well be a pos. Or it may
not. But the fact is, if it is lousy, it *won't be just because it's
different than a Papy game*. It'll be because of obvious flaws. There's
plenty of real-life items that Papy has never got right, (or took multiple
versions before they did get it right) and 03 included. What's funny, is
that if someone comes along with the correct way something should be done,
the cries of, "Hey, that's wrong ! Why ? Um, because that's not how it was
in the Papy games !" Instead of, um, because that's not how it is in real
life.

And that's the mindset you seem to have; if it's different than Papy, it's
bad/wrong, period.

Old January 12th 05, 02:50 PM

The video looks pretty good to me....Sadler's airborne looked a little
cheesy. I once had my car get stuck up in the fence and stay there in
a pre-race practice session in N2003. N2003 is and will be a great sim
but I for one am hoping EA does a good job with this game. I am ready
to try something new. Steve P

Old January 12th 05, 04:10 PM
Plowboy2

There is a movie on OLR, where Joe L, interviewed James Hawkins
(producer)...

Anywho in the interview JH stated that a major chunk of this sim's
(whatever) is based in the F1 tittled games...

SO me never having even tried the F1 stuff from EA, I want to know, is that
bad, or good?

Braddo enlightened us with:

Old January 12th 05, 06:42 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Plowboy2" wrote...
> There is a movie on OLR, where Joe L, interviewed James Hawkins
> (producer)...
>
> Anywho in the interview JH stated that a major chunk of this
> sim's (whatever) is based in the F1 tittled games...
>
> SO me never having even tried the F1 stuff from EA, I want to
> know, is that bad, or good?

It's good and bad.

If the racing series in question is well implemented, the ISI physics engine
or development thereof will yield a richer and "more natural" driving
experience than anything Papyrus have ever done.

However, unless they have really fixed some issues this time around (and,
seeing as a lot of annoying stuff that was in F1 2k1 is still in GTR and
rFactor, I'm not holding my breath), a lot of users will have some degree of
difficulty and will possibly need to manually edit files to get their
controller setup "just so" as to be able to fully enjoy the greater detail
offered by the engine.

And, again: unless spectacular advancements have been made, the multi will
be:

- not as robust and straightforward as with Papyrus titles.
- require a lot of bandwidth on the part of the host and a
stable, low ping connection on the part of the player.
- still not look quite right, even under ideal conditions(*).

I don't want to sound as if I'm dismissing it outright, because I'm not. I
truly honestly want the simracing genre to advance and be successfull and I
will give the demo a fair shot at convincing me EA NASCAR Simracing is the
next step forward. However, to do that certain things will have to be fixed
with regard to preceding titles, otherwise there will be fairly little point
in owning the latest version.

Jan.
=---
(*)Rem.: ok, this is highly subjective and if everthing else worked I could
live with it, but I have this problem with F1 2k2/F1C/GTR/rFactor
multiplayer where it appears to me as if the other cars in my field of view
are objects being moved along a similar trajectory to mine, rather than cars
being driven by the other players. Even when conditions are perfect, i.e. a
monster machine/connect as a host and all players geographically close to it
with less than 30ms pings.
On the other hand, when in GPL/NR2003 cars jitter or warp a little (it's
very rare to see a truly terrible connect nowadays), I don't get this same
level of estrangement than in the ISI sims.

Old January 12th 05, 07:00 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Phillip Malphrus, Jr" wrote...
> yeah

Nothing wrong with Papy collision code per se, as it was designed for and
works fairly well in a low ping environment (i.e. LAN multiplayer).

Online was tagged on to GPL at a late stage and, apparently, only slightly
improved for the NR200x iterations. As pings rise (and you turn on more cars
in NR200x) the design flaw of having each player calculate collisions
locally (i.e. clientside) rears its ugly head, as the time needed to
exchance info between the players leads to ever more erroneous values being
put into the simulation. This creates the infamous and always unexpected
online "explosion", even though a contact may, at first, appear minor.

Jan.
=---