changing engine belts on E36 1998

Old May 28th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
news[_1_]

Default changing engine belts on E36 1998

how hard is it to change the two belts ?

mine show some cracking.

Old May 29th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <4QF6i.3759$Au6.2402@trndny04>,
news > wrote:
> how hard is it to change the two belts ?

Pretty easy. I tend to remove the fan, but some say it can be done without.

> mine show some cracking.

They often do while being alright. It's only when you get them off you can
see if the cracks are deep or just the surface rubber.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 29th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
mcquarrie

On May 28, 5:14 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article <4QF6i.3759$Au6.2402@trndny04>,
> news > wrote:
>
> > how hard is it to change the two belts ?

> Pretty easy. I tend to remove the fan, but some say it can be done without.
>
> > mine show some cracking.

> They often do while being alright. It's only when you get them off you can
> see if the cracks are deep or just the surface rubber.
>
> --
> *A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I did mine without removing the fan - it's possible but skinny hands
are advantageous. The hardest part is moving the hydraulic tensioner
for the main belt.

Old May 30th 07, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
mcquarrie > wrote:
> I did mine without removing the fan - it's possible but skinny hands
> are advantageous. The hardest part is moving the hydraulic tensioner
> for the main belt.

Easy enough with a socket ratchet handle and the correct bit. Worst bit is
remembering how the damn thing weaves it way round the various pulleys.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Old May 30th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> mcquarrie > wrote:
>> I did mine without removing the fan - it's possible but skinny hands
>> are advantageous. The hardest part is moving the hydraulic tensioner
>> for the main belt.

> Easy enough with a socket ratchet handle and the correct bit. Worst bit is
> remembering how the damn thing weaves it way round the various pulleys.

.... and that's not very hard because there is a map posted nearby. Well, my
car has a map, and my daughter's car does too.

Old May 30th 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <Lr37i.3862$Au6.1407@trndny04>,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> > Easy enough with a socket ratchet handle and the correct bit. Worst
> > bit is remembering how the damn thing weaves it way round the various
> > pulleys.
> >

> ... and that's not very hard because there is a map posted nearby. Well,
> my car has a map, and my daughter's car does too.

Right. Don't think mine has. Whereabouts?

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Old May 30th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article <Lr37i.3862$Au6.1407@trndny04>,
> Jeff Strickland > wrote:
>> > Easy enough with a socket ratchet handle and the correct bit. Worst
>> > bit is remembering how the damn thing weaves it way round the various
>> > pulleys.
>> >

>> ... and that's not very hard because there is a map posted nearby. Well,
>> my car has a map, and my daughter's car does too.

> Right. Don't think mine has. Whereabouts?

I lied! Sorry. I went to double check the location of the sticker that shows
how the belt goes, and there isn't one. My Ford and my Mazda show this
information, but my BMW does not.

Old May 30th 07, 09:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <sv47i.5271$7R5.942@trndny07>,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> >> ... and that's not very hard because there is a map posted nearby.
> >> Well, my car has a map, and my daughter's car does too.

> > Right. Don't think mine has. Whereabouts?

> I lied! Sorry. I went to double check the location of the sticker that
> shows how the belt goes, and there isn't one. My Ford and my Mazda show
> this information, but my BMW does not.

Ah. BMW mechanics are obviously more intelligent than Ford ones?
The path is shown in the TIS, though.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Old May 30th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:38:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> waffled on about something:

>> > Right. Don't think mine has. Whereabouts?

>> I lied! Sorry. I went to double check the location of the sticker that
>> shows how the belt goes, and there isn't one. My Ford and my Mazda show
>> this information, but my BMW does not.

>Ah. BMW mechanics are obviously more intelligent than Ford ones?
>The path is shown in the TIS, though.

Whenever I pull anything apart, I have my digital camera at hand and
snap away like some kind of crazed David Bailey. Yes it does have
dirty finger prints all over it!

Tis wonderful when you're trying to work out how the wiring is
supposed to go after you've done something serious.

Of course there is a law that says whatever you really need to see
will be just slightly out of shot below the thingermewhatsit.

)

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old May 30th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:39:44 +0100, Dodgy > wrote:

>On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:38:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> waffled on about something:

>>> I lied! Sorry. I went to double check the location of the sticker that
>>> shows how the belt goes, and there isn't one. My Ford and my Mazda show
>>> this information, but my BMW does not.

>>Ah. BMW mechanics are obviously more intelligent than Ford ones?
>>The path is shown in the TIS, though.

>Whenever I pull anything apart, I have my digital camera at hand and
>snap away like some kind of crazed David Bailey. Yes it does have
>dirty finger prints all over it!
>
>Tis wonderful when you're trying to work out how the wiring is
>supposed to go after you've done something serious.

Also useful when cleaning the keyboard.... removing the connectors at the rear
of the computer to put it somewhere else ---- Remembering what the
wife/Girlfriend looks like...........