what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

Old May 28th 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

Default what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

On 28 May, 14:37, Dan Buchan > wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> I have M-sport suspension and 17" wheels on my E39 540 and the ride is
> noticeably worse than my E34 with standard suspension and 15" wheels.
> The standard BMW suspension used to be an ideal compromise between
> handling and comfort. Frankly I don't think firm suspension adds
> anything. If you corner on a rough surface it feels like the car will
> skitter off the road. The low ride height looks good but makes it more
> likely you'll ground it out on something.

It appears to be the case that the motoring press in general think the
BMW ride is pretty poor these days. Aftermarket alternatives may well
give a better ride.

Old May 28th 07, 06:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
adder1969 > wrote:
> It appears to be the case that the motoring press in general think the
> BMW ride is pretty poor these days. Aftermarket alternatives may well
> give a better ride.

The press hear say it's mainly down to the run flat tyres. Who actually
needs these damn things if they spoil day to day driving?

But I say again I'd be surprised if anyone offered softer springs than are
available from the factory - I've never seen such a thing advertised. And
there could be a very real problem with load carrying without some form of
self levelling.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 28th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dan Buchan

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article . com>,
> adder1969 > wrote:
>> It appears to be the case that the motoring press in general think the
>> BMW ride is pretty poor these days. Aftermarket alternatives may well
>> give a better ride.

> The press hear say it's mainly down to the run flat tyres. Who actually
> needs these damn things if they spoil day to day driving?

Is it definitely down to those? I haven't got run flats, just stiff
springs, and it's bumpy enough. This was the optional sport suspension.
I think this sort of thing is bought by middle aged men who fancy
themselves a bit sporty. If the new BMWs are all 'firm and sporty' it's
probably just pandering to fashion. Audis have been bumpy for ages and
people claim to like it. Personally I believe more compliant suspension
actually lets you make better progress on a typical road, but I can't
back that up with figures.

> But I say again I'd be surprised if anyone offered softer springs than are
> available from the factory - I've never seen such a thing advertised. And
> there could be a very real problem with load carrying without some form of
> self levelling.

He could let down the tyres a bit. On the E34, inflating them to the
max recommended pressure made the ride too skittish, so I ran them at
the minimum. I'm told if you put bigger than 15" wheels on the E34 it
was crap too.
Old May 30th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
X.

On 28 Mag, 23:56, Dan Buchan > wrote:

> He could let down the tyres a bit. On the E34, inflating them to the
> max recommended pressure made the ride too skittish, so I ran them at
> the minimum. I'm told if you put bigger than 15" wheels on the E34 it
> was crap too.

BTW, an anecdote: when I took my 330xd touring to the race track, I
increased tire pressure about 15%, to lower tire temperatures (I was
certain they were going to overheat). Actually that meant, IIRC,
2.8bar and 3.1bar, front and rear (!). Well, the pressure in those
tires has NEVER been put back to its previous value, initially because
of my laziness, but also because I decided it was good for road use,
as well: my driving is quite sporty (when traffic allows me to do so),
and higher tire pressure helped to make tire wear more even (but it's
still quite uneven :-D). My parents and grandparents NEVER complained
because I told them nothing, they never noticed the difference. Had I
told them about that, they would have complained...

Old May 30th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On May 30, 3:18 pm, "X." > wrote:
> On 28 Mag, 23:56, Dan Buchan > wrote:

The actual vertical acceleration
> of the driver while going over bumps IMHO is really really low, unless
> bumps are really huge.

There's a stretch of road near me where I bang my head on the roof of
the car several times when I drive down it.

There's more to the comfort than just the overall spring rate. The
damping has a lot to do with it too.
Someone else mentioned tyre sizes and that it is a big part of the
ride comfort.

Old May 30th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On May 27, 3:02 am, wrote:
> On 26 May 2007 18:05:22 -0700, Derwood > wrote:
>
> >i have removed the runflats to conventional tyres and whilst the
> >harshness has gone i can still feel a lot of bounce on seemingly
> >smooth roads. maybe i have to go to a softer coil spring or shock
> >absorber.
> >any thoughts appreciated.

> US owner?
>
> It is just fine as it is - go buy a Cadillac if you want a slush-puppy!

"tyres"? "whilst"? Not bloody likely in the US. If you're gonna try
to be a Smartassİ, at least be a good one - dumbass.
--
C.R. Krieger
a.a.bmw Chief Smartassİ

Old May 30th 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 30 May 2007 11:55:52 -0700, E28 Guyİ > wrote:

>On May 27, 3:02 am, wrote:
>> On 26 May 2007 18:05:22 -0700, Derwood > wrote:
>>
>> >i have removed the runflats to conventional tyres and whilst the
>> >harshness has gone i can still feel a lot of bounce on seemingly
>> >smooth roads. maybe i have to go to a softer coil spring or shock
>> >absorber.
>> >any thoughts appreciated.

>> US owner?
>>
>> It is just fine as it is - go buy a Cadillac if you want a slush-puppy!

>"tyres"? "whilst"? Not bloody likely in the US. If you're gonna try
>to be a Smartassİ, at least be a good one - dumbass.

Yes we have some arseholes too and, by the way, Cadillacs are on sale over here
at rock bottom prices. I could probably get a 2 or 3 year old one for about $8K
Ok $12K but that's only because nobody wants them.

The Chrysler 300C seems nice but has it REALLY got a HEMI under that hood?
Old May 30th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dan Buchan

X. wrote:
> BTW, an anecdote: when I took my 330xd touring to the race track, I
> increased tire pressure about 15%, to lower tire temperatures (I was
> certain they were going to overheat). Actually that meant, IIRC,
> 2.8bar and 3.1bar, front and rear (!). Well, the pressure in those
> tires has NEVER been put back to its previous value, initially because
> of my laziness, but also because I decided it was good for road use,
> as well: my driving is quite sporty (when traffic allows me to do so),
> and higher tire pressure helped to make tire wear more even (but it's

I used to always do that: inflate the tyres to the 'fully loaded'
pressure in the book. Sharpened up the steering no end. It worked for
all my cars until the E34!
Old May 31st 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Wed, 30 May 2007 23:46:53 +0100, Dan Buchan >
wrote:

>X. wrote:
>> BTW, an anecdote: when I took my 330xd touring to the race track, I
>> increased tire pressure about 15%, to lower tire temperatures (I was
>> certain they were going to overheat). Actually that meant, IIRC,
>> 2.8bar and 3.1bar, front and rear (!). Well, the pressure in those
>> tires has NEVER been put back to its previous value, initially because
>> of my laziness, but also because I decided it was good for road use,
>> as well: my driving is quite sporty (when traffic allows me to do so),
>> and higher tire pressure helped to make tire wear more even (but it's

>I used to always do that: inflate the tyres to the 'fully loaded'
>pressure in the book. Sharpened up the steering no end. It worked for
>all my cars until the E34!

Back in the good ol' days of police driver training, we used to run
"bald eagles" at 100 PSI (honestly) on a flooded skidpan to learn car
control.

Few things since then have been so much fun, at least while I had my
clothes on.
--
Dan.
Old May 31st 07, 07:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
X.

On 31 Mag, 01:00, Dean Dark > wrote:
> Back in the good ol' days of police driver training, we used to run
> "bald eagles" at 100 PSI (honestly) on a flooded skidpan to learn car
> control.
>
> Few things since then have been so much fun, at least while I had my
> clothes on.

LOL
My race bicycle pump allows me to inflate car tires as well... next
time my tires are shaved, I'll try the 100psi stunt in a parking lot
before replacement :-))))