'95 318i A/C

Old May 28th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Default '95 318i A/C

wrote:

>>>How much does R134a cost States side?

>>I guess you haven't figured out that Google thing yet, huh? Well I'll
>>answer you anyway. Not much. Less that $10.
>>

>>>How much is the oil and can you buy it in
>>>small quantities?

>>As Jeff already said, it comes in the refrigerant. But yes, small cans
>>can be bought and they are cheaper than the R134a.
>>

>>>How much does it cost to get a system re-gassed professionally?
>>>

>>Quite a bit. Over a hundred bucks typically.
>>

>>>Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with one of
>>>the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users. A recharge is
>>>anything from $100 (US) to $200 (US) depending on whether Main Stealer or
>>>independent.

>>Well, then, sucks to be you, huh? Just because they do things a
>>partricular way in England doesn't mean it's the only way, nor the best way.
>>

>>>Is it really worth it to mess about like this?

>>Duh, yes.

> **** off Fred.
>
> I used to live in FL and I know that we British do things differently to you
> guys over there. I would like to still be there and probably would still be
> there had my EX-wife not got home sick (notice the EX).
>
> I do think that some thing we do or the gov' try to control is stupid and
> likewise with the US gov'.
>
> 50 pounds or 100 bucks is reasonable not to get dirty, get a guarantee, have it
> tested for leaks. DIY is great for the feeling - I saved 10 bucks????
>
> Sorry? $10 (5 pounds) that's a pint of beer or 2 - just over a gallon of gas
> (imp) - 2 hours car park in London -- wouldn't even get you into London during
> the working week-day (tolls). pack cigarettes in UK.
>
> Really not worth ****ing about.

**** off yerself, pal. If you long for living in FL (bad choice IMO)
and you're able to see both sides of it, then why do come across as such
a pompous hater of everything US? And you know you do. I'm sure it's
intentional.

If you could read and comprehend I told you it would *cost* $10 for a
can of R-134. Minimum cost to have is done is $100. My elementary
school training tells me that potentially saves one $90, not $10.

$90 (that's 45 pounds) that's a keg of beer over here, enough gas to
fill one of our big-ass SUVs, half a dozen (contraband) Cuban cigars or
a night in the Holiday Inn Express (where I did not stay last night).
Quite worth ****ing about in my experience.

Plus you don't have the inconvenience of having to bring the car in to
the shop, leave it all day, get a ride home, then reverse the process to
collect it. Oh, and leak testing would be an additional charge and
there are seldom any guarantees on this kind of service work.

--
-Fred W
Old May 28th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

wrote:

>>>I guess you haven't figured out that Google thing yet, huh? Well I'll
>>>answer you anyway. Not much. Less that $10.

>>>As Jeff already said, it comes in the refrigerant. But yes, small cans
>>>can be bought and they are cheaper than the R134a.

>>>Quite a bit. Over a hundred bucks typically.

>>>Well, then, sucks to be you, huh? Just because they do things a
>>>partricular way in England doesn't mean it's the only way, nor the best way.

>>>Duh, yes.

>> **** off Fred.
>>
>> I used to live in FL and I know that we British do things differently to you
>> guys over there. I would like to still be there and probably would still be
>> there had my EX-wife not got home sick (notice the EX).
>>
>> I do think that some thing we do or the gov' try to control is stupid and
>> likewise with the US gov'.
>>
>> 50 pounds or 100 bucks is reasonable not to get dirty, get a guarantee, have it
>> tested for leaks. DIY is great for the feeling - I saved 10 bucks????
>>
>> Sorry? $10 (5 pounds) that's a pint of beer or 2 - just over a gallon of gas
>> (imp) - 2 hours car park in London -- wouldn't even get you into London during
>> the working week-day (tolls). pack cigarettes in UK.
>>
>> Really not worth ****ing about.

>**** off yerself, pal. If you long for living in FL (bad choice IMO)
>and you're able to see both sides of it, then why do come across as such
>a pompous hater of everything US? And you know you do. I'm sure it's
>intentional.

No NO I do not hate everything US - I love most of the country and a few of the
cars you produce even if they don't last very long (style wise that is).

It's just that every so often one does come across complete arseholes (and you
are going to say I'm one - if so - so are you) but all insults aside saving $90
today and having to spen another $150 tomorrow is not saving much if the
filter/drier and or condenser are kaput too and / or the seals in the pump are
shot.

Isn't it better to know rather than spen on everything but the real problem or
is that part of the fun too?

>If you could read and comprehend I told you it would *cost* $10 for a
>can of R-134. Minimum cost to have is done is $100. My elementary
>school training tells me that potentially saves one $90, not $10.
>
>$90 (that's 45 pounds) that's a keg of beer over here, enough gas to
>fill one of our big-ass SUVs, half a dozen (contraband) Cuban cigars or
>a night in the Holiday Inn Express (where I did not stay last night).

Don't blame you.

>Quite worth ****ing about in my experience.
>
>Plus you don't have the inconvenience of having to bring the car in to
>the shop, leave it all day, get a ride home, then reverse the process to
>collect it. Oh, and leak testing would be an additional charge and
>there are seldom any guarantees on this kind of service work.

I agree there is that to it if and only if it didn't need anything else. 9/10
the condenser has a minute hole and it will leak out in short time so it's
another $10 then another then another eventually you would have spent enough on
R134a to get a complete new system installed.

Old May 29th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
nintiendo.com

On May 28, 2:32 pm, wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:49:00 -0400, Fred W > wrote:
> wrote:

> >> **** off Fred.

> >> I used to live in FL and I know that we British do things differently to you
> >> guys over there. I would like to still be there and probably would still be
> >> there had my EX-wife not got home sick (notice the EX).

> >> I do think that some thing we do or the gov' try to control is stupid and
> >> likewise with the US gov'.

> >> 50 pounds or 100 bucks is reasonable not to get dirty, get a guarantee, have it
> >> tested for leaks. DIY is great for the feeling - I saved 10 bucks????

> >> Sorry? $10 (5 pounds) that's a pint of beer or 2 - just over a gallon of gas
> >> (imp) - 2 hours car park in London -- wouldn't even get you into London during
> >> the working week-day (tolls). pack cigarettes in UK.

> >> Really not worth ****ing about.

> >**** off yerself, pal. If you long for living in FL (bad choice IMO)
> >and you're able to see both sides of it, then why do come across as such
> >a pompous hater of everything US? And you know you do. I'm sure it's
> >intentional.

> No NO I do not hate everything US - I love most of the country and a few of the
> cars you produce even if they don't last very long (style wise that is).
>
> It's just that every so often one does come across complete arseholes (and you
> are going to say I'm one - if so - so are you) but all insults aside saving $90
> today and having to spen another $150 tomorrow is not saving much if the
> filter/drier and or condenser are kaput too and / or the seals in the pump are
> shot.
>
> Isn't it better to know rather than spen on everything but the real problem or
> is that part of the fun too?
>

> >If you could read and comprehend I told you it would *cost* $10 for a
> >can of R-134. Minimum cost to have is done is $100. My elementary
> >school training tells me that potentially saves one $90, not $10.

> >$90 (that's 45 pounds) that's a keg of beer over here, enough gas to
> >fill one of our big-ass SUVs, half a dozen (contraband) Cuban cigars or
> >a night in the Holiday Inn Express (where I did not stay last night).

> Don't blame you.
>
> >Quite worth ****ing about in my experience.

> >Plus you don't have the inconvenience of having to bring the car in to
> >the shop, leave it all day, get a ride home, then reverse the process to
> >collect it. Oh, and leak testing would be an additional charge and
> >there are seldom any guarantees on this kind of service work.

> I agree there is that to it if and only if it didn't need anything else. 9/10
> the condenser has a minute hole and it will leak out in short time so it's
> another $10 then another then another eventually you would have spent enough on
> R134a to get a complete new system installed.

I don't know about the $100 charge you all are talking about, but in
California it's more like $250 - $500 depending on what needs to be
done!

Old May 29th 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 28 May 2007 17:21:16 -0700, "nintiendo.com" > wrote:

>On May 28, 2:32 pm, wrote:

>> >**** off yerself, pal. If you long for living in FL (bad choice IMO)
>> >and you're able to see both sides of it, then why do come across as such
>> >a pompous hater of everything US? And you know you do. I'm sure it's
>> >intentional.

>> No NO I do not hate everything US - I love most of the country and a few of the
>> cars you produce even if they don't last very long (style wise that is).
>>
>> It's just that every so often one does come across complete arseholes (and you
>> are going to say I'm one - if so - so are you) but all insults aside saving $90
>> today and having to spen another $150 tomorrow is not saving much if the
>> filter/drier and or condenser are kaput too and / or the seals in the pump are
>> shot.
>>
>> Isn't it better to know rather than spen on everything but the real problem or
>> is that part of the fun too?
>>

>> >If you could read and comprehend I told you it would *cost* $10 for a
>> >can of R-134. Minimum cost to have is done is $100. My elementary
>> >school training tells me that potentially saves one $90, not $10.

>> >$90 (that's 45 pounds) that's a keg of beer over here, enough gas to
>> >fill one of our big-ass SUVs, half a dozen (contraband) Cuban cigars or
>> >a night in the Holiday Inn Express (where I did not stay last night).

>> Don't blame you.
>>
>> >Quite worth ****ing about in my experience.

>> >Plus you don't have the inconvenience of having to bring the car in to
>> >the shop, leave it all day, get a ride home, then reverse the process to
>> >collect it. Oh, and leak testing would be an additional charge and
>> >there are seldom any guarantees on this kind of service work.

>> I agree there is that to it if and only if it didn't need anything else. 9/10
>> the condenser has a minute hole and it will leak out in short time so it's
>> another $10 then another then another eventually you would have spent enough on
>> R134a to get a complete new system installed.

>I don't know about the $100 charge you all are talking about, but in
>California it's more like $250 - $500 depending on what needs to be
>done!

Perhaps our Tony Blair is good friends with your Arnie! (Tax and spending that
is)
Old May 29th 07, 10:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
nintiendo.com > wrote:
> I don't know about the $100 charge you all are talking about, but in
> California it's more like $250 - $500 depending on what needs to be
> done!

Some refrigerant is bound to leak over years with the common car type
system - this is intrinsic because of the exposed pulley drive and
therefore seal. Domestic units like fridges can enclose the entire
pump/motor assembly to prevent any leaks at all.

So all will need a recharge eventually. How often depends on a number of
factors other than obviously design.

If all that's needed is topping up the refrigerant $100 sounds right -
here in the UK I paid 60 gbp. If repairs are needed the sky's the limit.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 29th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tommy[_8_]

A/C?
leave to the experts!

Old May 29th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 29 May 2007 17:24:25 GMT, "Tommy" > wrote:

>A/C?
>leave to the experts!

Thank you Tommy!
Old May 30th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:46:50 -0400, Fred W > wrote:

wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2007 17:24:25 GMT, "Tommy" > wrote:
>>

>>>A/C?
>>>leave to the experts!
>>>

>> Thank you Tommy!

>Yes, Tommy is a bundle of helpful info. No wonder he agrees with you...

Seems quite sensible too. Talk about air pollution - you guys make it look like
China is a good guy! Try shutting your mouth for a few days.

need help, on my 318i 95 (FAN) [email protected] BMW 4 January 28th 07 10:58 AM
'84 318i number 9 BMW 2 April 3rd 05 02:31 AM
BMW 318i 4d AUTO Jay BMW 0 March 1st 05 11:44 AM
318i se question Toby BMW 2 December 3rd 04 03:57 PM
318i buy or not to buy Paul Williams BMW 1 December 1st 04 05:36 AM