'95 318i A/C

Old May 26th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default '95 318i A/C

I've got a '95 318i that we're doing some A/C work on. What I need to
know is how much oil to use in the compressor to keep the system
running optimally. I'm not great at auto repair and will be working
with my father-in-law. He's got the experience, just doesn't know how
much oil to use in the compressor/other areas.

Old May 27th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've got a '95 318i that we're doing some A/C work on. What I need to
> know is how much oil to use in the compressor to keep the system
> running optimally. I'm not great at auto repair and will be working
> with my father-in-law. He's got the experience, just doesn't know how
> much oil to use in the compressor/other areas.

I've got a service manual (Bentley Publishers) for that car, and the specs
they give a

R134a -- 2.2 lb ± 0.05 (1000g ± 25g)

The oil you need depends on the kind of A/C system. The Nippondenso takes
120ml and the Seiko takes 150ml.

If you are buying R134a at the local parts store, it probably has oil
already in it. You should read the can. If you are working on the AC system
and need to ask stuff like this, you should buy the book.

Old May 27th 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:15:28 GMT, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> I've got a '95 318i that we're doing some A/C work on. What I need to
>> know is how much oil to use in the compressor to keep the system
>> running optimally. I'm not great at auto repair and will be working
>> with my father-in-law. He's got the experience, just doesn't know how
>> much oil to use in the compressor/other areas.
>>

>I've got a service manual (Bentley Publishers) for that car, and the specs
>they give a
>
>R134a -- 2.2 lb ± 0.05 (1000g ± 25g)
>
>The oil you need depends on the kind of A/C system. The Nippondenso takes
>120ml and the Seiko takes 150ml.
>
>If you are buying R134a at the local parts store, it probably has oil
>already in it. You should read the can. If you are working on the AC system
>and need to ask stuff like this, you should buy the book.

Jeff

How much does R134a cost States side? How much is the oil and can you buy it in
small quantities?

How much does it cost to get a system re-gassed professionally?

Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with one of
the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users. A recharge is
anything from $100 (US) to $200 (US) depending on whether Main Stealer or
independent.

Is it really worth it to mess about like this?
Old May 28th 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with
> one of the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users.

Halfords sell it.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 28th 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>>Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with
>>one of the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users.

> Halfords sell it.

Now don't go confusing him with facts like that Dave. He has a really
good head of steam up in this argument...

--
-Fred W
Old May 28th 07, 07:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 28 May 2007 00:47:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>In article >,
> > wrote:
>> Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with
>> one of the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users.

>Halfords sell it.

Yes Dave I noticed that the other day but it is in "fool proof" containers and
only meant for a top-up not a full re-gas.

The same applies Stateside but the environmental regs are not enforced so
stringently. I believe that R134a and the newer stuff is based on LPG products
(butane and propane) which I understand has been used by some ignorant people
that then were surprised when the whole thing blew up!

The Hotpoint service guys carry aerosol containers of the stuff for when they
fix refrigerators and freezers and I have, in the past, topped up a system with
one of these when it was R12.

But really when you look at the Halfords' price for 2 it is still cheaper to get
it done professionally and tested.
Old May 28th 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:19:04 -0400, Fred W > wrote:

wrote:

>> How much does R134a cost States side?

>I guess you haven't figured out that Google thing yet, huh? Well I'll
>answer you anyway. Not much. Less that $10.
>
>> How much is the oil and can you buy it in
>> small quantities?

>As Jeff already said, it comes in the refrigerant. But yes, small cans
>can be bought and they are cheaper than the R134a.
>

>> How much does it cost to get a system re-gassed professionally?
>>

>Quite a bit. Over a hundred bucks typically.
>
>> Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with one of
>> the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users. A recharge is
>> anything from $100 (US) to $200 (US) depending on whether Main Stealer or
>> independent.

>Well, then, sucks to be you, huh? Just because they do things a
>partricular way in England doesn't mean it's the only way, nor the best way.
>

>> Is it really worth it to mess about like this?

>Duh, yes.

**** off Fred.

I used to live in FL and I know that we British do things differently to you
guys over there. I would like to still be there and probably would still be
there had my EX-wife not got home sick (notice the EX).

I do think that some thing we do or the gov' try to control is stupid and
likewise with the US gov'.

50 pounds or 100 bucks is reasonable not to get dirty, get a guarantee, have it
tested for leaks. DIY is great for the feeling - I saved 10 bucks????

Sorry? $10 (5 pounds) that's a pint of beer or 2 - just over a gallon of gas
(imp) - 2 hours car park in London -- wouldn't even get you into London during
the working week-day (tolls). pack cigarettes in UK.

Really not worth ****ing about.
Old May 28th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:15:28 GMT, "Jeff Strickland" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
groups.com...
>>> I've got a '95 318i that we're doing some A/C work on. What I need to
>>> know is how much oil to use in the compressor to keep the system
>>> running optimally. I'm not great at auto repair and will be working
>>> with my father-in-law. He's got the experience, just doesn't know how
>>> much oil to use in the compressor/other areas.
>>>

>>I've got a service manual (Bentley Publishers) for that car, and the specs
>>they give a
>>
>>R134a -- 2.2 lb ± 0.05 (1000g ± 25g)
>>
>>The oil you need depends on the kind of A/C system. The Nippondenso takes
>>120ml and the Seiko takes 150ml.
>>
>>If you are buying R134a at the local parts store, it probably has oil
>>already in it. You should read the can. If you are working on the AC
>>system
>>and need to ask stuff like this, you should buy the book.
>>

> Jeff
>
> How much does R134a cost States side? How much is the oil and can you buy
> it in
> small quantities?

I bought a double-can for under $30, that included the low side pressure
guage. I think the standard can is something like 15oz, and the double that
I bought was 30. Maybe the actual numbers are 14.5 and 29. Whatever.

They sell it at the local autoparts store. There is no capacity to evacuate
the system, and the idea with this stuff is that the system is otherwise in
good condition, but the charge of refridgerant has simply seeped out. I
don't know if refidgerant "dies" or has to seep out, in order to require the
addition of more.

> How much does it cost to get a system re-gassed professionally?

I screwed my car up a couple of years ago and had to go to the shop for
proper servicing. It seems that I paid about $100 to have the system
evacuated and recharged. Of course, the shop has the equipment needed to
capture the juice that comes out.

> Here in the UK one cannot buy gas unless one has a business account with
> one of
> the major suppliers BOC or Air Products and are registered users. A
> recharge is
> anything from $100 (US) to $200 (US) depending on whether Main Stealer or
> independent.
>
> Is it really worth it to mess about like this?

If all you need is to recharge the system, yes it is worth it. It sounds
like you need much more than a simple recharge, and without the proper
equipment, it is clearly (in my opinion) not worth it.

need help, on my 318i 95 (FAN) [email protected] BMW 4 January 28th 07 10:58 AM
'84 318i number 9 BMW 2 April 3rd 05 02:31 AM
BMW 318i 4d AUTO Jay BMW 0 March 1st 05 11:44 AM
318i se question Toby BMW 2 December 3rd 04 03:57 PM
318i buy or not to buy Paul Williams BMW 1 December 1st 04 05:36 AM