Conversion from generator to alternator - who makes a good kit?

Old September 23rd 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
barnhart_pinball[_2_]

Default Conversion from generator to alternator - who makes a good kit?

My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an
alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid-
America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the
instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.

Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?

Do you keep your external reg or do you wire around it?

Thanks for any help...

Mitch

--
Looking for a Sharpshooter backglass in good shape.
Old September 23rd 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Rogers

"barnhart_pinball" > wrote in message
.250...
> My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an
> alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid-
> America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the
> instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.
>
> Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?

Follow this link. It should answer any questions ya might ever ask.
http://trikerdon.50megs.com/intro_2.htm

Old September 23rd 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

barnhart_pinball wrote:
> My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an
> alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid-
> America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the
> instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.
>
> Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?
>
> Do you keep your external reg or do you wire around it?
>
> Thanks for any help...
>
> Mitch

I use an internally regulater alternator when I convert, all you need is
the stand, and a wire straight from the speedo warning light. You
discard the old regulator. It would not work with an externally
regulated alternator either, since an alt regulator is different from a
gen regulator.
Old September 23rd 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

barnhart_pinball wrote:
> My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an
> alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid-
> America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the
> instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.
>
> Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?
>
> Do you keep your external reg or do you wire around it?
>
> Thanks for any help...
>
> Mitch

The kits have difficulty making complete instructions
because the application differs quite a bit year-to-year.

Strongly recommend reading this very complete write-up
about the conversion:
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v....php?tid=50478

His engine is same as your '72 and the difficulty will
be similar. If you're up for it, it's much easier to
pull the engine in order to get the fan shroud raised.

Brief article on my web site about the wiring changes:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.htm
The old generator regulator (under back seat) gets
removed and the splices shown on my sketch "wire around" it.

http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
has a number of kits similar to the others you looked at.
Search: Alternator

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old September 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 22, 11:02*pm, "barnhart_pinball" >
wrote:
> My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an
> alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid-
> America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the
> instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.
>
> Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...CH0003&cartid=

This guy is honest.
Alternator Conversion Kit
Price: $ 259.95
Part #: LCH0003
Kit includes all pieces necessary to convert to a 12V alternator
charging system. Includes alternator stand, alternator, backing
plates, and alternator strap. Unlike some other stores, we do not send
Chinese alternators, only GENUINE BOSCH!

---------------------------
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....de=BOS%2DAL82X

--------------------------
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1315
Includes Bosch Alternator, 200 MPH Strap, Alternator Stand, Inner Fan
Cover, Fan Cover, Flange, and OEM Pulley.
This is where I got mine over 10 years ago.
Looks to be the same as what aircooled.net sells.

--------------------------
Also you may need to view these links:

REPLACING GENERATOR WITH
ALTERNATOR IN A TYPE I
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.htm

---------------------------

http://www.vw-resource.com/alt_pump_interference.html

If you get the Bosch alternator kit I do not think you need to be
concerned about this.
http://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_stand.html

--------------------------
http://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_generator.html

Old September 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

IIRC
Parts needed:
Alternator (1-wire preferred)
Alternator stand and gasket
V-Belt for Alternator
Alt-style Fuel pump and matching pushrod
Carb (or accelerator pump rod/lever will need to be modified or possibly
flipped over) and gasket

This can be done without removing the engine!
Hardest part is taking off the "front" nut of the generator/fan. ;-)