clatter, unearthly

Old July 28th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Art McGinn

Default clatter, unearthly

folks: this "problem" keeps coming up and i've yet to discover what
causes it. it's an unearthly clatter from the engine of our '81 vanagon
after it has been parked for a few days. after the engine runs for a
little while, the clatter fades away, as if it never happened. there
seems to be no loss of power while the racket runs its course. it sounds
like a broken valve or a valve-lifter that's not getting oil or some
other metal-on-metal activity. it sounds like a death rattle. several
years ago i had another '81 -- and it did the same thing under the same
circumstances. anybody have a similar experience?

Old July 28th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Art McGinn wrote:
> folks: this "problem" keeps coming up and i've yet to discover what
> causes it. it's an unearthly clatter from the engine of our '81 vanagon
> after it has been parked for a few days. after the engine runs for a
> little while, the clatter fades away, as if it never happened. there
> seems to be no loss of power while the racket runs its course. it sounds
> like a broken valve or a valve-lifter that's not getting oil or some
> other metal-on-metal activity. it sounds like a death rattle. several
> years ago i had another '81 -- and it did the same thing under the same
> circumstances. anybody have a similar experience?

the hydraulic lifters are bleeding out while it sits, and therefore
they7 make the valve clearance grow huge. Once you start the engine, the
oil pressure pumps them back up and everything is fine. You don't need
to worry about it, but it would be nice if you could take the lifters
out and clean them. Requires disassembly, they are made of a couple of
parts. If you do take them out (with a magnet, no need to tear down
engine. ) make sure you mark them really well or do them one by one, to
make SURE they go in the same hole they came out of.
Old July 28th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Art McGinn

jan: that's a relief to know. many thanks for your explanation. art

Old July 29th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Rogers

> Jan Andersson wrote:
>> Art McGinn wrote:
>>> folks: this "problem" keeps coming up and i've yet to discover what
>>> causes it. it's an unearthly clatter from the engine of our '81 vanagon
>>> after it has been parked for a few days. after the engine runs for a
>>> little while, the clatter fades away, as if it never happened. there
>>> seems to be no loss of power while the racket runs its course. it sounds
>>> like a broken valve or a valve-lifter that's not getting oil or some
>>> other metal-on-metal activity. it sounds like a death rattle. several
>>> years ago i had another '81 -- and it did the same thing under the same
>>> circumstances. anybody have a similar experience?

I've got a new factory long block with hydraulic lifters that will do the
came thing on #1 exhaust if the motor stops in a certain position, the rest
are fine.

Fatus Mikus

89 Caravan: Will engine clatter if Oil Pressure is Low? [email protected] Chrysler 4 February 14th 08 11:25 PM
Right front clatter type rattle Don Hamilton Jeep 3 January 7th 07 11:25 PM
"01 explorer valve clatter rovang Ford Explorer 3 July 8th 06 01:50 AM
Valve clatter? Mike G BMW 3 June 19th 06 10:55 AM
Engine clatter when cold or sitting for a few minutes Masospaghetti Technology 1 August 2nd 05 09:57 PM