E30 325i Outside temp

Old May 31st 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

Default E30 325i Outside temp

My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock in
place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable and
accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
they are prone to any faults of this kind?

Old May 31st 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

> My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock in
> place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable and
> accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
> approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
> they are prone to any faults of this kind?

It's in the front brake duct, behind the spoiler. When they fail you
normally just get a constant very low reading, such as -37C.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old June 1st 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On May 31, 5:17 pm, John Burns > wrote:
> > My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock in
> > place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable and
> > accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
> > approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
> > they are prone to any faults of this kind?

> It's in the front brake duct, behind the spoiler. When they fail you
> normally just get a constant very low reading, such as -37C.

Burns is right - and it is not uncommon for the sensor to fail. Used
ones go for $10-$20 on ebay.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old June 2nd 07, 12:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock
>> in
>> place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable
>> and
>> accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
>> approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
>> they are prone to any faults of this kind?

> It's in the front brake duct, behind the spoiler. When they fail you
> normally just get a constant very low reading, such as -37C.

In that case it has not failed - simply reads low. Thanks for the info about
the location - I'll check its condition.

David

Old June 2nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"David Haggas" > wrote in message

> "John Burns" > wrote in message
>>> My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock
>>> in
>>> place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable
>>> and
>>> accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
>>> approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
>>> they are prone to any faults of this kind?

>> It's in the front brake duct, behind the spoiler. When they fail you
>> normally just get a constant very low reading, such as -37C.

> In that case it has not failed - simply reads low. Thanks for the info
> about the location - I'll check its condition.
>
> David

It's either a thermistor or a thermocouple (the former is my guess), and
these devices can fail in such a fashion that the resistance they attain at
a certain temp is incorrect. The circuits they are in are prone to reacting
to corroded connections too. As a general rule, the resistance they have is
higher at cold temperatures, so corrosion on the contacts can lead to lower
readings on the display.

A thermocouple and a thermistor behave similarly, although they achieve
results in a different manner. I do not think it is important which device
is used in your car. I think your problem is either a poor connection due to
the location of the connector, or the device itself is failing. As was
pointed out earlier, they generally are a go-no-go kind of device, so paly
with the connector for a few minutes, and replace the device next week if it
still does not read correctly.

Old June 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> It's either a thermistor or a thermocouple (the former is my guess), and
> these devices can fail in such a fashion that the resistance they attain
> at a certain temp is incorrect. The circuits they are in are prone to
> reacting to corroded connections too. As a general rule, the resistance
> they have is higher at cold temperatures, so corrosion on the contacts can
> lead to lower readings on the display.
>
> A thermocouple and a thermistor behave similarly, although they achieve
> results in a different manner. I do not think it is important which device
> is used in your car. I think your problem is either a poor connection due
> to the location of the connector, or the device itself is failing. As was
> pointed out earlier, they generally are a go-no-go kind of device, so paly
> with the connector for a few minutes, and replace the device next week if
> it still does not read correctly.

Thankyou for that Jeff. Todays temperature was around 23 and the reading was
8.5 which points to the above. Investigations pending.

Old June 3rd 07, 10:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> My 1990 325 has a factory outside temperature display/date/digital clock
>> in
>> place of the analogue clock or OBC. It has always been highly reliable
>> and
>> accurate since I bought the car 17 years ago but recently it is showing
>> approx 10C below the actual temp. Anyone know where the sensor is and if
>> they are prone to any faults of this kind?

> It's in the front brake duct, behind the spoiler. When they fail you
> normally just get a constant very low reading, such as -37C.
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
> Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html
> www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

On the older ones it was a constant high of 84F / 29 or 30C.

New old car: '87 BMW 325i cab BBO BMW 2 August 30th 06 12:27 PM
'87 325i cab Dave Plowman (News) BMW 1 August 22nd 06 05:34 PM
Want 2 Buy A 93 BMW 325i? Sophia Williams BMW 1 February 27th 06 01:07 PM
e30 325I bmwdominican BMW 6 January 11th 06 08:25 PM
325i vs G35 Brent Wege BMW 4 October 14th 04 03:00 AM