e34 535 electrics

Old June 2nd 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
FairKop

Default e34 535 electrics

howdy,
i have an annoying quirk on my '89 535 sport. Every time i start the car
up, the display language changes. This means i can only understand any
messages 2 out of every 7 times! english(uk)+english(us). It's more
irritating than problematic and i suppose it's helping my foreign language
skills! Any ideas?

Old June 2nd 07, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

"FairKop" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> howdy,
> i have an annoying quirk on my '89 535 sport. Every time i start the car
> up, the display language changes. This means i can only understand any
> messages 2 out of every 7 times! english(uk)+english(us). It's more
> irritating than problematic and i suppose it's helping my foreign language
> skills! Any ideas?

-----

What language shows up upon reconnection with the battery power after all
power has been removed for a time? There could be a power supply to the
cluster problem. Or the battery needs changing due to low charge. Once the
car is running, the alternator (generator) runs the system and it gets the
power it needs. Anyone else on this one?

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old June 2nd 07, 01:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
FairKop

language defaults to german after i reconnect the battery. The car starts
at the first turn of the key every time so i think the battery is ok.
In connection with this language problem, my cd player also resets to
default settings every time i turn the car off. The two things mut be
linked?
cheers

Old June 2nd 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:36:07 -0400, "FairKop" > wrote:

>language defaults to german after i reconnect the battery. The car starts
>at the first turn of the key every time so i think the battery is ok.
>In connection with this language problem, my cd player also resets to
>default settings every time i turn the car off. The two things mut be
>linked?
>cheers

Know any Germans that want to buy a car?
Old June 2nd 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"FairKop" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> language defaults to german after i reconnect the battery. The car starts
> at the first turn of the key every time so i think the battery is ok.
> In connection with this language problem, my cd player also resets to
> default settings every time i turn the car off. The two things mut be
> linked?
> cheers

Not THAT battery, the display has a small battery that makes it remember
stuff like language settings.

Maybe it IS "that" battery.

I recently saw a Lexus version of the Toyota Highlander that used the clock
to notify the driver that the battery was getting low. The car started and
ran fine, but the clock would not remain set to the correct time -- my
friend had to set his clock or watch it blink 12:00 -- every time he got in
his car.

Anyway, I suggested that he have the battery checked since it was the
original equipment part, and the car was closing in on 4 years old. It turns
out, the battery wasd near the end of its useful life, and the clock knew
it.

YOUR car is more than 4 years old, so it is on at least the second battery,
perhaps the third. If the battery is near end-life, there's a good chance
the displays (On Board Computer, Radio) could be sending you messages ...

Old June 2nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "FairKop" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> language defaults to german after i reconnect the battery. The car starts
>> at the first turn of the key every time so i think the battery is ok.
>> In connection with this language problem, my cd player also resets to
>> default settings every time i turn the car off. The two things mut be
>> linked?
>> cheers
>>

> Not THAT battery, the display has a small battery that makes it remember
> stuff like language settings.
>
> Maybe it IS "that" battery.
>
> I recently saw a Lexus version of the Toyota Highlander that used the
> clock to notify the driver that the battery was getting low. The car
> started and ran fine, but the clock would not remain set to the correct
> time -- my friend had to set his clock or watch it blink 12:00 -- every
> time he got in his car.
>
> Anyway, I suggested that he have the battery checked since it was the
> original equipment part, and the car was closing in on 4 years old. It
> turns out, the battery wasd near the end of its useful life, and the clock
> knew it.
>
> YOUR car is more than 4 years old, so it is on at least the second
> battery, perhaps the third. If the battery is near end-life, there's a
> good chance the displays (On Board Computer, Radio) could be sending you
> messages ...

Agree, it sounds like your instrument cluster might be starting to act up.
Given that your car is an 89, there were problems with the instrument
cluster in cars that year which may requires replacement. Unlike the earlier
E28 and E24, which had batteries in the cluster, you can NOT change the
battery on your dash board. It might be possible to change the capacitors:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm

If that doesn't work, expect to replace your instrument cluster - $$$

Good Luck!

Old June 3rd 07, 01:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
FairKop

cheers guys,
it's probably easier and cheaper just to learn a few words of
french,italian,german and spanish!

tow bar electrics derek Jeep 5 March 8th 06 10:43 PM
Tow Bar Electrics Peugeot 406 Audi 1 February 17th 06 02:20 PM
Strange electrics on GTV lanky Alfa Romeo 2 December 23rd 05 11:46 AM
Strange electrics on GTV lanky Alfa Romeo 0 December 20th 05 09:07 PM
156 - quirky electrics Dave Savage Alfa Romeo 1 October 21st 04 05:18 PM