5 series Touring(wagon), mid 1990's

Old May 28th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 5 series Touring(wagon), mid 1990's

looking for a 5 series wagon, used, from 1993 to 1995 models.....any
info on reliability/things to avoid with these models? or are they
pretty much good to go provided that it was maintained
correctly?....appreaciate the feedback.

thanks

Old May 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

taken mine on a few 3000+ trips, done a total of 280,000 and been fine while
i had it

has occ tick over problem, but this seems common with the age and type of
car.

gearbox is fine, electrics fine, only prop is v occ led display saying
brake light broblem, there isnt but someone says the wires get stressed in
the boot lid so its common

i love mine, just not sporty enough so going back to my salloon when i can
oups.com...

Old May 28th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

> wrote
> looking for a 5 series wagon, used, from 1993 to 1995 models.....any
> info on reliability/things to avoid with these models? or are they
> pretty much good to go provided that it was maintained
> correctly?....appreaciate the feedback.

I've heard - seen here and other web places - that the sunroofs
are very problematical. Seen a couple of people who have had
problems with the self-leveling suspension.

Other than that, the E34 is really bullet-proof.

FloydR

Old May 28th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JB[_2_]

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> > wrote
>> looking for a 5 series wagon, used, from 1993 to 1995 models.....any
>> info on reliability/things to avoid with these models? or are they
>> pretty much good to go provided that it was maintained
>> correctly?....appreaciate the feedback.

> I've heard - seen here and other web places - that the sunroofs
> are very problematical. Seen a couple of people who have had
> problems with the self-leveling suspension.

I'd agree with those comments 200%! If the sunroof(s) actually close ok,
leave them closed for good. You *really* don't want to have to work on them,
ever. Any self levelleing problems can be remedied by retrofitting standard
springs/shocks. Cheaper by $$$$ too.

> Other than that, the E34 is really bullet-proof.

Indeed. Probably the most reliable and well built vehicles I've ever owned
or worked on.

JB

Old June 1st 07, 10:58 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On May 28, 5:48 pm, "JB" > wrote:
> "Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message

> > > wrote
> >> looking for a 5 series wagon, used, from 1993 to 1995 models.....any
> >> info on reliability/things to avoid with these models? or are they
> >> pretty much good to go provided that it was maintained
> >> correctly?....appreaciate the feedback.

> > I've heard - seen here and other web places - that the sunroofs
> > are very problematical. Seen a couple of people who have had
> > problems with the self-leveling suspension.

> I'd agree with those comments 200%! If the sunroof(s) actually close ok,
> leave them closed for good. You *really* don't want to have to work on them,
> ever. Any self levelleing problems can be remedied by retrofitting standard
> springs/shocks. Cheaper by $$$$ too.
>
> > Other than that, the E34 is really bullet-proof.

> Indeed. Probably the most reliable and well built vehicles I've ever owned
> or worked on.
>
> JB

is there a particular year to avoid? I have mostly seen 1993's and
1995's.....

Old June 1st 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JB[_2_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> > I've heard - seen here and other web places - that the sunroofs
>> > are very problematical. Seen a couple of people who have had
>> > problems with the self-leveling suspension.

>> I'd agree with those comments 200%! If the sunroof(s) actually close ok,
>> leave them closed for good. You *really* don't want to have to work on
>> them,
>> ever. Any self levelleing problems can be remedied by retrofitting
>> standard
>> springs/shocks. Cheaper by $$$$ too.
>>
>> > Other than that, the E34 is really bullet-proof.

>> Indeed. Probably the most reliable and well built vehicles I've ever
>> owned
>> or worked on.
>>
>> JB

> is there a particular year to avoid? I have mostly seen 1993's and
> 1995's.....

Not really. I'd personally avoid only cars with the double sunroof and
especially the self-levelleing suspension. It *will* eventually fail and
cost $$$$.
I'd probably go for a cheap older 92/93 car with >200k miles on it too as
most of the nasty work will have been done by then (bushes/shocks/ track
control arms/steering components/radiator/water pump etc..). The M50 engines
are very relaible if looked after. My old 520i touring had 397k miles on it
when I sold it 3 years ago and it's still alive today.

JB