5 Series Satnav Query

Old May 10th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Schrodinger's cat

Default 5 Series Satnav Query

I'm looking at the new 5 series on the BMW (UK) site. They offer a choice of
either Satnav - Business or Satnav - Professional.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two?

Thanks

Martin

Old May 10th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:10:11 +0100, "Schrodinger's cat" >
wrote:

>I'm looking at the new 5 series on the BMW (UK) site. They offer a choice of
>either Satnav - Business or Satnav - Professional.
>
>Can anyone explain the difference between the two?
>
>Thanks
>
>Martin

No idea but one could be CD based and the Business that I have in my E65 730d Se
is DVD based. The CD version uses (I think) 5 or 7 CDs whereas the DVD version
uses 1 DVD that covers the whole of Euroland without swapping discs when you
move into a different area.

I find it absolutely fantastic so I suggest that you go for the business setup
and get the DVD version - apparently the DVD updates cost nearly £300 each so
must be worth it.

On criticism though you cannot program it from outside the car on a PC and no
speed camera locations and updates only via DVD.
Old May 10th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Schrodinger's cat

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:10:11 +0100, "Schrodinger's cat"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at the new 5 series on the BMW (UK) site. They offer a choice
>>of
>>either Satnav - Business or Satnav - Professional.
>>
>>Can anyone explain the difference between the two?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Martin

> No idea but one could be CD based and the Business that I have in my E65
> 730d Se
> is DVD based. The CD version uses (I think) 5 or 7 CDs whereas the DVD
> version
> uses 1 DVD that covers the whole of Euroland without swapping discs when
> you
> move into a different area.
>
> I find it absolutely fantastic so I suggest that you go for the business
> setup
> and get the DVD version - apparently the DVD updates cost nearly £300 each
> so
> must be worth it.
>
> On criticism though you cannot program it from outside the car on a PC and
> no
> speed camera locations and updates only via DVD.

Thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated.

Old May 12th 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Steve Garey

I think one is with a full map display and the other is just an arrow
display

Old May 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Schrodinger's cat

"Schrodinger's cat" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at the new 5 series on the BMW (UK) site. They offer a choice
> of either Satnav - Business or Satnav - Professional.
>
> Can anyone explain the difference between the two?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

BMW responded to my query. The reply is copied below.

They are both DVD based systems but the professional version has a
bigger\split screen. It also has a 3D map a la Tomtom.

HTH

Martin

Thank you for you email to BMW Customer Information.

Firstly may I apologise for the delay in responding to your previous email.

Business Navigation has a 6.5" colour display screen and is a DVD based
navigation system with detailed coverage of Europe. Navigation directions
are shown by a 2-D map, directional arrows and voice output.

Business Navigation includes TMC (Traffic Messaging Channel), a traffic
monitoring device which will show any traffic problems on screen, and show
an alternative route. Please see the picture of Business Navigation below:

<IMAGE REMOVED>
Professional Navigation is a far more detailed system, on a larger (16:9)
screen (the map size is 8:8). This system has full navigation capabilities,
displayed on a high colour 3-D map. The screen has split functionality,
meaning the map and other info such as audio settings can be displayed at
the same time.

Professional Navigation includes TMC (Traffic Messaging Channel), a
traffic monitoring device which will show any traffic problems on screen,
and show an alternative route. Please see the following picture, which shows
TMC and the larger screen display:

<IMAGE REMOVED>

Both Navigation systems have the ability to display local information such
as Hotels, Petrol Stations and many more POI's (Points of Interest).

Professional Navigation can be put onto the vehicle as an option or can be
specified as part of the Media package. The media package is a £2365 option,
which compromises of Bluetooth Phone Preparation, 6 Disc CD Changer, BMW
Assist, Voice Control and Professional Navigation.

Business Navigation is only available as an option and not part of the
media package.

If specified as an option, Business Navigation is £1265 and Professional
Navigation is £1825.

Another SatNav query - Does anyone know if the SatNav DVD from the new 3 series works in a new 5 Series? John Perry BMW 0 February 17th 07 01:54 PM
Honda Alpine satnav pinouts meb Honda 4 April 17th 06 08:23 PM
SA-609 Satnav system help David BMW 0 September 9th 05 07:49 PM
CR-V SatNav DVD backup MP Honda 2 June 8th 05 09:50 PM
UK A4 Cab. after market satnav - any experience? Paul Peard Audi 0 April 24th 05 11:56 PM