what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

Old May 30th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
X.

Default what type of suspension is on the e60 525i

On 28 Mag, 23:56, Dan Buchan > wrote:

> I think this sort of thing is bought by middle aged men who fancy
> themselves a bit sporty. If the new BMWs are all 'firm and sporty' it's
> probably just pandering to fashion. Audis have been bumpy for ages and
> people claim to like it. Personally I believe more compliant suspension
> actually lets you make better progress on a typical road, but I can't
> back that up with figures.

Actually I am VERY surprised to read this thread. I mean, suspension
setup depends on personal taste... and personal taste depends also on
where you live (different roads, better road maintenance, stricter
policemen etc). Italy is certainly not famous for its fantastic road
maintenance (but fortunately policemen here are not very strict so at
least you can drive fast :-D). Personally, I think that comfort
differences on modern cars are just a mental thing... people spending
their driving time listening to bumps as if they were choosing a new
hi-fi :-). If you were deaf, 95% of your perceived harshness would go
away, because the asphalt hits the tires, but between the tires and
your ass you have TWO suspension systems (the suspensions of the car
and the seat, whose damping is very considerable), so basically if you
didn't think you are breaking the car whenever you hear a bump you
would see that suspension setup is just fine... even too soft, to tell
the truth (there's plenty of roll). The actual vertical acceleration
of the driver while going over bumps IMHO is really really low, unless
bumps are really huge.

However, I don't see the point of wanting softer bmws, I mean, you can
buy a mercedes or a jaguar or even a citroen if you're not so sport-
oriented and you want more of a compromise... there's no such thing as
a perfectly comfortable car with decent handling.... not as long as
you are so demanding as far as comfort is concerned!

Old May 30th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
X. > wrote:
> there's no such thing as
> a perfectly comfortable car with decent handling.... not as long as
> you are so demanding as far as comfort is concerned!

The Jag XJ series gets damn close. But having owned one I still prefer my
5 Series. On standard suspension and the small wheels it was originally
designed for. ;-)

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 30th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:30:40 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>In article . com>,
> X. > wrote:
>> there's no such thing as
>> a perfectly comfortable car with decent handling.... not as long as
>> you are so demanding as far as comfort is concerned!

>The Jag XJ series gets damn close. But having owned one I still prefer my
>5 Series. On standard suspension and the small wheels it was originally
>designed for. ;-)

What year are we talking about Dave? Last XJ I drove 2006 4.2 sovereign was
really rubbish compared to the BMW 7 series in standard trim (not sport) in fact
I found it weird on the steering - Jags have always had light steering but this
one seemed to want to drive it's self or rather it was more point and aim. Very
soft ride but held the road Ok but didn't feel as stable as the BMW
Old May 30th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dan Buchan

X. wrote:
> However, I don't see the point of wanting softer bmws, I mean, you can
> buy a mercedes or a jaguar or even a citroen if you're not so sport-
> oriented and you want more of a compromise... there's no such thing as
> a perfectly comfortable car with decent handling.... not as long as
> you are so demanding as far as comfort is concerned!

BMWs were always so good because they combined almost the comfort of a
Mercedes with good 'feel' and tightness, but from personal experience I
think sport suspension is a shade too far. Good fun when you want to
fling it about, and at a decent speed, but a low speeds over less than
smooth roads it's merely uncomfortable. But it's personal taste, as you
say.

Haven't ridden in or driven an ugly boat on wheels, er, E60, so can't
comment on what those are like, but people seem to be saying they're a
bit firm.