Back from the dead

Old October 1st 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Back from the dead

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:42:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Some of you might remember me, John. I had two Bugs and a kit car. One of the Bugs was a '58 I bought from Mikah.
>

> Well, it is like coming back from somewhere else to be posting here and I hope I am welcome to do some more.
>

> After a couple heart attacks and other health interruptions, I finally retired and just a month ago I went to the storage place and took the wraps off the '58 and all four tires were cracked, broken and collapsed. That's how long it has been. Of course the engine will not start. WTF? A neglected 54 year-old car won't start?
>

> The paint is very badly oxidized. It was covered by a very good cover which tells you how log it was put away.
>

> So now it's in the driveway on blocks shaming me every time I leave the house.
>

> Oh, and look at what I found way in the back of the shed.
>
> http://www.digoliardi.net/skirts1.jpg

Wow, I felt a strange sensation just then, like my mouse clicked on Google groups by some unseen force......? ;-)

(That and Max alerted me with a samba PM....)

Cool to see some old names here...... from "back in the day".

Still have my '57 BTW, 13,500 miles on the clock. I'll be taking it to Transporter day at Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline MA next Sunday...

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/348805.jpg
Old October 1st 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:49:35 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:42:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > Some of you might remember me, John. I had two Bugs and a kit car. One of the Bugs was a '58 I bought from Mikah.

> > Well, it is like coming back from somewhere else to be posting here and I hope I am welcome to do some more.

> > After a couple heart attacks and other health interruptions, I finally retired and just a month ago I went to the storage place and took the wraps off the '58 and all four tires were cracked, broken and collapsed. That's how long it has been. Of course the engine will not start. WTF? A neglected 54 year-old car won't start?

> > The paint is very badly oxidized. It was covered by a very good cover which tells you how log it was put away.

> > So now it's in the driveway on blocks shaming me every time I leave the house.

> > Oh, and look at what I found way in the back of the shed.

> > http://www.digoliardi.net/skirts1.jpg

> Wow, I felt a strange sensation just then, like my mouse clicked on Google groups by some unseen force......? ;-)
>

> (That and Max alerted me with a samba PM....)
>

> Cool to see some old names here...... from "back in the day".
>

> Still have my '57 BTW, 13,500 miles on the clock. I'll be taking it to Transporter day at Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline MA next Sunday...
>

> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/348805.jpg

Still looks incredible John. Still one of my favorites from the vintage side of the hobby.

Max
Old October 1st 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 9/30/2012 7:49 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:42:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> Some of you might remember me, John. I had two Bugs and a kit car. One of the Bugs was a '58 I bought from Mikah.
>>

>> Well, it is like coming back from somewhere else to be posting here and I hope I am welcome to do some more.
>>

>> After a couple heart attacks and other health interruptions, I finally retired and just a month ago I went to the storage place and took the wraps off the '58 and all four tires were cracked, broken and collapsed. That's how long it has been. Of course the engine will not start. WTF? A neglected 54 year-old car won't start?
>>

>> The paint is very badly oxidized. It was covered by a very good cover which tells you how log it was put away.
>>

>> So now it's in the driveway on blocks shaming me every time I leave the house.
>>

>> Oh, and look at what I found way in the back of the shed.

http://www.digoliardi.net/skirts1.jpg

> Wow, I felt a strange sensation just then, like my mouse clicked on Google groups by some unseen force......? ;-)
>
> (That and Max alerted me with a samba PM....)
>
> Cool to see some old names here...... from "back in the day".
>
> Still have my '57 BTW, 13,500 miles on the clock. I'll be taking it to Transporter day at Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline MA next Sunday...
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/348805.jpg

WHOA! Hi John and Darn Good to have you back!

Been a while..... The beetle looks as awesome as ever.
Tell us what you've been up to. Terry did a pretty thorough job with his
status report just earlier today, lol.

In the past 6 years, the only aircooled VW work I have done, is one oil
change. That was a beat up, worn down, but "all there" original 67, 2nd
owner. It was earlier this year. I still dream about shipping old "Goth"
here some day. It's slowly deteriorating at my parents' house in Finland. :/

Jan
Old October 1st 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 9/30/2012 7:55 AM, Max Welton wrote:

> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/baja/MVC-120F.JPG
>
> Max

If you don't mind my asking (or even if you do), how much does having
your own website cost per month?

Randall
Old October 1st 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:53:17 PM UTC-6, Randall wrote:
> On 9/30/2012 7:55 AM, Max Welton wrote:
>

> > http://www.maxwelton2k.net/baja/MVC-120F.JPG

> > Max

> If you don't mind my asking (or even if you do), how much does having
>
> your own website cost per month?
>

> Randall

Not much. I use fatcow ( http://www.fatcow.com/ ) and also have two domains.

Max
Old October 1st 12, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW[_2_]

> wrote in message
Wow, I felt a strange sensation just then, like my mouse clicked on Google
groups by some unseen force......? ;-)

(That and Max alerted me with a samba PM....)

Cool to see some old names here...... from "back in the day".

Still have my '57 BTW, 13,500 miles on the clock. I'll be taking it to
Transporter day at Lars Anderson Museum in Brookline MA next Sunday...

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/348805.jpg

Hi John!

More of the old gang - I'm starting to feel like a teenager again! I might
have to talk the Mrs into letting me get some more VW's. We did have 7 cars
at one stage, but only one was a VW then. I'll need another barn too. This
one is full of "stuff" that's no longer allowed in the house, once you're
married :-)

Allan.

Old October 1st 12, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
vwluvrs[_2_]

Yeah, Johns still around; recently helped me out with a blinker assembly for the 56 oval I was renovating...
Old October 1st 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 01/10/12 06:44, vwluvrs wrote:
> Yeah, Johns still around; recently helped me out with a blinker assembly for the 56 oval I was renovating...

wow ! good to see some of these old names again !
Old October 3rd 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Well, I'll try to give a bit more of an update..... I moved to a new house in '04, one with a separate "shop" building. A dream come true. It was featured in a one page article in Hemmings a few years ago.

http://zarwerks.com/zaradmin/hemming...0article.jp g

I have since expanded it 8 feet in the back and side, I have another 8x 30ft storage bay. It is my dream come true shop, heat, A/C tunes, beer fridge, etc...

After 10 years and many very fun miles of driving, I sold the '50 Sunroof last year. It is in CA now, lowered on Porsche rims, etc. as seems to be the LAW over there. No worries though, I know the guy who bought it, nice guy, his split, he can do what he wants with it.

I still have the '51 and it is still LONG way from being done, but I did get back on it a while back and started with the chassis again. It is a very rare "11E" standard split Beetle with a sunroof.. and cable brakes. Only about 6 others in the world that I can find evidence of. It is VERY rusty, a long road back.

I still dabble with Zarwerks(.com) but truth be told, I think we will be closing down the website. I do well with, and will continue doing early semaphore restorations, Jacketed K manifold restorations and still making cloth wiring harnesses. Pleased to say that of the 5 splits at Solvang in '10, 4 had my wires in them, including the best of show winner. One of my harnesses was also in Heb that was sold to Japan for WELL into 6 figures.

I am (still) a hardcore vintage (stock) nut. I have been to the last 3 Bad Cambergs and the last Hessisch in Germany. I have recently bought my tickets for Hessisch 2013 (it is only every 4 years). Like last time, I will fly to Brussels and will be given a '49, cable brake split in original paint and original interior, and will caravan about 250 miles each way to Hessisch with maybe, oh, 150 other vintage VW across Europe. If you are a hardcore vintage nut there is NOTHING like it.

Here is a video I did from the '09 Hessisch show. I had cheapy video camera and a suction cup mount we had a blast with it. The HUGE collection of cars you see is BBT Bob's. One of the nicest guys on the planet (of course I would say that about someone who gave me old cars to drive across Europe!)

Here is a video I did when I had my '50 sunroof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_hAFqEpNo&feature=plcp

(watch for the semaphores!)

Lastly of note I guess, I bought my wife her own vintage car for a 20th anniversary gift a few years back. No not a VW, but a car I have always loved, a '69 Mercedes 280SL. A turnkey "write a check" purchase that we have really enjoyed driving around. We took it on the ferry to Martha's Vinyard this past may for a weekend.

I still travel for business fairly often and have seen a lot of this globe. I am a Network Engineer for a major manufacturer of Healthcare Electronics.

Well that's it for now. Nice to hear from all the rest of you. I'll try to check back here now and then....

JH

Old October 3rd 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Max Welton

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:19:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> [...]
>

> Here is a video I did when I had my '50 sunroof:
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_hAFqEpNo&feature=plcp
>

> (watch for the semaphores!)
>

> Lastly of note I guess, I bought my wife her own vintage car for a 20th anniversary gift a few years back. No not a VW, but a car I have always loved, a '69 Mercedes 280SL. A turnkey "write a check" purchase that we have really enjoyed driving around. We took it on the ferry to Martha's Vinyard this past may for a weekend.
>

> I still travel for business fairly often and have seen a lot of this globe. I am a Network Engineer for a major manufacturer of Healthcare Electronics.
>

> Well that's it for now. Nice to hear from all the rest of you. I'll try to check back here now and then....

You certainly haven't stood still. Good update!

You may remember the Karmann Ghia I was driving when you came out to CA for the Kelley Park weekend? Shortly after the 2003 Berg Cruise, I took it off the road and it sat in a corner of my barn. Until last year.

Since then it has been stripped, all the bodywork addressed and new paint applied.

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body...ht%20front.jpg

The car is now in the slow process of reassembly. Just about everything that came off the car is not good enough to go back on. ;-)

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7311.jpg

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7318.jpg

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7330.jpg

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7440.jpg

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7496.jpg

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/ghia/body/IMG_7511.jpg

The engine will be a 90.5x82 2110 with MegaSquirt FI, throttle bodies from an 1999 Honda Interceptor VFR800 and hydraulic lifters. I'll be applying everything I learned from my Megasquirt type-3 project to this engine.

Max