2nd gear vs. reverse?

Old March 12th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lamumba

Default 2nd gear vs. reverse?

Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old March 12th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Komet17

"Lamumba" > wrote in message
> Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.
> --

Well, for one thing, you'd be going backwards instead of forwards...

Old March 13th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lamumba

In article >,
"Komet17" > wrote:

> "Lamumba" > wrote in message
> > Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> > what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.
> > --

> Well, for one thing, you'd be going backwards instead of forwards...

even tho I'm pushing 68 ,I've got some fine reflexes. How 'bout some
help?
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old March 13th 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Lamumba wrote:
> Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.

Loosen the two 13mm bolts at the base of the shifter, then slide the
base to the right about 1/4" and tighten the bolts down again. See what
you got and adjust again until you are pleased with the result.

Trivia: Sometimes the shifter bushings get worn and sloppy, making it
harder to find the right gear too. There's a joint with 2 bushings under
the rear seat, inside the tunnel under an oval cover plate. Another
bushing is just rearwards of the shifter mounting hole on the tunnel;
the shift rod passes through a nylon bushing that is supported in a
metal bracket, hanging off the top of the tunnel.
Old March 13th 11, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Lamumba wrote:
>> Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
>> what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.

> Loosen the two 13mm bolts at the base of the shifter, then slide the
> base to the right about 1/4" and tighten the bolts down again. See what
> you got and adjust again until you are pleased with the result.
>
> Trivia: Sometimes the shifter bushings get worn and sloppy, making it
> harder to find the right gear too. There's a joint with 2 bushings under
> the rear seat, inside the tunnel under an oval cover plate. Another
> bushing is just rearwards of the shifter mounting hole on the tunnel;
> the shift rod passes through a nylon bushing that is supported in a
> metal bracket, hanging off the top of the tunnel.

Hmmm maybe it was to the left. It always confuses me unless I have my
hands on it.
Old March 14th 11, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Peter[_16_]

On Mar 12, 10:08*pm, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> Jan Andersson wrote:
> > Lamumba wrote:
> >> Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> >> what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.

> > Loosen the two 13mm bolts at the base of the shifter, then slide the
> > base to the right about 1/4" and tighten the bolts down again. See what
> > you got and adjust again until you are pleased with the result.

> > Trivia: Sometimes the shifter bushings get worn and sloppy, making it
> > harder to find the right gear too. There's a joint with 2 bushings under
> > the rear seat, inside the tunnel under an oval cover plate. Another
> > bushing is just rearwards of the shifter mounting hole on the tunnel;
> > the shift rod passes through a nylon bushing that is supported in a
> > metal bracket, hanging off the top of the tunnel.

> Hmmm maybe it was to the left. It always confuses me unless I have my
> hands on it.

left would be the direction, 1/4 inch is a tad too much though, mark
where its at right now with a scribe around the outside edge (so you
can put it back if you make it worse), then loosen and adjust. One
distinct possibility is though that your shift plate is worn and
causing the missed shift.
Old March 14th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 14/03/11 12:33, Peter wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:08 pm, Jan >
> wrote:
>> Jan Andersson wrote:

>>> Loosen the two 13mm bolts at the base of the shifter, then slide the
>>> base to the right about 1/4" and tighten the bolts down again. See what
>>> you got and adjust again until you are pleased with the result.

>>> Trivia: Sometimes the shifter bushings get worn and sloppy, making it
>>> harder to find the right gear too. There's a joint with 2 bushings under
>>> the rear seat, inside the tunnel under an oval cover plate. Another
>>> bushing is just rearwards of the shifter mounting hole on the tunnel;
>>> the shift rod passes through a nylon bushing that is supported in a
>>> metal bracket, hanging off the top of the tunnel.

>> Hmmm maybe it was to the left. It always confuses me unless I have my
>> hands on it.

> left would be the direction, 1/4 inch is a tad too much though, mark
> where its at right now with a scribe around the outside edge (so you
> can put it back if you make it worse), then loosen and adjust. One
> distinct possibility is though that your shift plate is worn and
> causing the missed shift.

Good advice, it seems to be very picky about position, couple of millimeters
make a noticeable change.

I noticed this first time when I tried to adjust bay window bus gear shift
lever and again with typ14. Eventually I had bolts almost tight and I moved
the base plate around with hammer and a chisel, tenths of a millimeter at
the time.

Bus was OK after adjustments, Ghia is not so good, but all gears work so
can't complain too much.

I'll have to check those bushings, I'll assume that they are totally worn out.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2
Old March 14th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Tuomas wrote:
> On 14/03/11 12:33, Peter wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 10:08 pm, Jan >
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmm maybe it was to the left. It always confuses me unless I have my
>>> hands on it.

>> left would be the direction, 1/4 inch is a tad too much though, mark
>> where its at right now with a scribe around the outside edge (so you
>> can put it back if you make it worse), then loosen and adjust. One
>> distinct possibility is though that your shift plate is worn and
>> causing the missed shift.

> Good advice, it seems to be very picky about position, couple of
> millimeters make a noticeable change.
>
> I noticed this first time when I tried to adjust bay window bus gear
> shift lever and again with typ14. Eventually I had bolts almost tight
> and I moved the base plate around with hammer and a chisel, tenths of a
> millimeter at the time.
>
> Bus was OK after adjustments, Ghia is not so good, but all gears work
> so can't complain too much.
>
> I'll have to check those bushings, I'll assume that they are totally
> worn out.

Yes 1/4 inch may be too much, you could lose 4th or 3rd gear. Experiment
until you got it perfect.

Bus bushings are a bigger pain to replace, I think I did it once on my
78 bay. Sure there's more of them than in a bug
Old March 15th 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lamumba

In article >,
Lamumba > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Komet17" > wrote:
>
> > "Lamumba" > wrote in message
> > > Just recently, I've almost hit reverse on a downshift to 2nd.
> > > what is the adjustment like? . it's a Type 1 1969 Cabriolet.
> > > --

> > Well, for one thing, you'd be going backwards instead of forwards...

> even tho I'm pushing 68 ,I've got some fine reflexes. How 'bout some
> help?

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. Wish me luck.
--
Karma, What a concept!