Dealer Attitudes

Old November 7th 04, 07:56 PM
Bill Jones

Default Dealer Attitudes

"James" > wrote in message
>I took one for a test drive last week. Just walked in and asked to take it
>for a test drive. They said sure thing and the sales lady and I took it for
>a spin. It was the only one they had on the lot. It wasnt the best color
>but it was sure fun to drive and it sure got a lot of looks.
>
> James
> 03 Cobra
> 99 GT

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that a lot of dealers are going to say "no" when
folks come in for test drives. I'm just saying test drives in general are
tricky with performance cars, because many of the test drives are going to
involve the throttle pressed to the floor, and who wants to buy a new car
that's had that kind of treatment? Would you?

-Bill J.
95 GT

Old November 7th 04, 08:48 PM

Yeah, but even so you should give SOME slack before you start pulling ****
like that. At least talk with the guy a couple times & see if he's really
interested in the car or not without flat out saying "you can't drive it
unless you are ready to buy it". That's a load of **** to me. I can see both
sides... but *still*, if they want to keep customers coming back & happy..
they need to change their attitude a bit.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> opined in news >
> > I can very easily see that actually happening several times more, Ken.
> > Dealers think they have some so unbelievably special that people should

bow

Old November 8th 04, 02:59 AM
Dana H. Myers

Ken Zwyers wrote:
> The thing is, he was talking about my test driving it three months from now,
> when the inventory has grown a bit. They only had one in stock right now,
> and aren't letting anyone drive it - and I can fully understand that.
>
> My point was, he was pushing for a commitment from me right now, which I
> won't give.

Salespeople operate that way. It works with an amazing number of
people. The couple of times I've have had a saleperson try that tactic
on me, I've simply said "Hey, if you want to be my salesperson,
you've got to sell to me the way I want to be sold to, and this
isn't working right now". In one case I remember, the salesperson
apologized and then repeated the same exact tactic, and I politely
said "it's not working" and walked out. In all the other cases,
the conversation improved considerably. Show expect and expect
respect, it's a simple contract, sometimes you just have to
remind them.

Dana

Old November 8th 04, 04:37 AM
Brent P

In article <rEvjd.58274$HA.24939@attbi_s01>, Ken Zwyers wrote:
> Arlington Heights Ford, Arlington Heights, IL

Figures it would be that one. I've gotten similiar treatment there.