Question about Bentleys

Old August 11th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
nickra

Default Question about Bentleys

Been looking at 20 year old or so Bentleys, often selling for as
little as $60K. Is there a newsgroup or club or even magazine/
newsletter that specializes in this area, especially in the U.S.? I'm
looking into the pros and cons of such a purchase.

Old August 11th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Aug 10, 4:56 pm, nickra > wrote:
> Been looking at 20 year old or so Bentleys, often selling for as
> little as $60K. Is there a newsgroup or club or even magazine/
> newsletter that specializes in this area, especially in the U.S.? I'm
> looking into the pros and cons of such a purchase.

By and Large, RRs will drive you into the poor house. The cost for a
"fine car not too old" as compared to a new Lexus might make it look
good.
(I've owned neither, BTW)
Everytime you see one, just ask the owner. (I do)
Of course, beware if said owner offers to sell it to you for "A great
price."

If you have access to the BBC magazine Top Gear, I think that they did
an article in the 1990s.

Good luck. (You might be the one to have it.)

Old August 11th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny[_2_]

I will have to agree with Stude for the most part.

I once considered buying a 1962 Rolls Royce for about $15,000. I was
in my 20's and I'm very capable of any type of mechanical work. I do
most auto repairs myself. The guy selling it really wanted to sell it
but he told it to me straight. If I was planning on using this car for
daily transportation - which I was - I'd better also have another back-
up car. Even in "perfect shape" they are finicky vehicles which
require specialized knowledge and equipment to work on. They need a
lot more pampering than the average driver is willing or capable of
providing.

After all, they are British cars. That means Lucas electrics, oddball
complicated mechanicals, and special tools - not American and not
Metric.

Unless you are capable of doing most things yourself, and have th e
tools, I would first locatre a RR service center in your area and
visit it. Talk to the head mechanic about your particular vehicle.
Check the internet like you're doing now with RR specific sites. It
will be invaluable.

I have a friend who is a Rolls Royce mechanic and I have a friend who
owns a limo service with one Rolls in the stable. The mechanic tells
me to stay away, the girl with the limo will never buy another one.

$60,000 is a lot of money to spend on a car that will not likely be as
servicable as on for half that amount.

Having said that, I love cars. I drive a `1956 Cadillac as my daily
driver. It's more work than a new one but I'm willing to put up with
some of the drawbacks simply because I absolutely love the car. If you
really want the Bentley and the inconviences and high costs don't
worry you, I say go for it. You only live once and you shouldn't look
back some day thinking "I wish I had bought that Bentley when I had
the chance or when I was young enough to enjoy it.

BTW, theRolls I was considering was about 25 years old at the time so
it wasn't a relic then. It was probably in similar condition to the
one you're looking at know.

Old August 11th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Aug 11, 10:00 am, Otto Skorzeny > wrote:
> I will have to agree with Stude for the most part.
>
> I once considered buying a 1962 Rolls Royce for about $15,000. I was
> in my 20's and I'm very capable of any type of mechanical work. I do
> most auto repairs myself. The guy selling it really wanted to sell it
> but he told it to me straight. If I was planning on using this car for
> daily transportation - which I was - I'd better also have another back-
> up car. Even in "perfect shape" they are finicky vehicles which
> require specialized knowledge and equipment to work on. They need a
> lot more pampering than the average driver is willing or capable of
> providing.
>
> After all, they are British cars. That means Lucas electrics, oddball
> complicated mechanicals, and special tools - not American and not
> Metric.
>
> Unless you are capable of doing most things yourself, and have th e
> tools, I would first locatre a RR service center in your area and
> visit it. Talk to the head mechanic about your particular vehicle.
> Check the internet like you're doing now with RR specific sites. It
> will be invaluable.
>
> I have a friend who is a Rolls Royce mechanic and I have a friend who
> owns a limo service with one Rolls in the stable. The mechanic tells
> me to stay away, the girl with the limo will never buy another one.
>
> $60,000 is a lot of money to spend on a car that will not likely be as
> servicable as on for half that amount.
>
> Having said that, I love cars. I drive a `1956 Cadillac as my daily
> driver. It's more work than a new one but I'm willing to put up with
> some of the drawbacks simply because I absolutely love the car. If you
> really want the Bentley and the inconviences and high costs don't
> worry you, I say go for it. You only live once and you shouldn't look
> back some day thinking "I wish I had bought that Bentley when I had
> the chance or when I was young enough to enjoy it.
>
> BTW, theRolls I was considering was about 25 years old at the time so
> it wasn't a relic then. It was probably in similar condition to the
> one you're looking at know.

My only car is a '64 Studebaker, OHV six, "3 on the tree" with OD, AM
radio and heater as only options. It's "blindfold simple" to work on
and a great onversation starter.
We have a '06 Camry, too. Loaded, comfortble and dead reliable.
A Chevy Nova HT of the same era would be a good choice, but the parts
are not quite so easy to get as Stude parts. Volvo seats might be an
improement and disk brakes, which the first owner of my car didn't
get, will aid with your confidence. A sedan would allow 3 point
harness - you choose what you want.

Old August 14th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
mark

I was wondering how does somebody deal with a car that gets
approximately 12MPG when gas is so expensive as a daily driver, money to
burn.

Old August 15th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

mark wrote:

> I was wondering how does somebody deal with a car that gets
> approximately 12MPG when gas is so expensive as a daily driver, money to
> burn.

In the words of the head of RR back during the 70s gas crunch, "In our opinion,
individuals who own Rolls Royces are unlikely to worry about the cost of petrol."

It's like a yacht. If you have to worry about the cost, you have no business
buying one.

George Patterson
If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess
to anything.