Exhaust for 1641

Old April 17th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Exhaust for 1641

Hello Group!

As you may know, the original engine in my 1303 suffered from knocking
bearings so I have bought a decent AR-code 1300 to replace it with.
The original engine was an AR-code 1300 that a previous owner fitted
1641 barrels and pistons too, along with a progressive Weber, new
heads and a Monza 4-tip exhaust. The Weber was giving me awful fuel
consumption, so I replaced it with a stock Solex 34-pict3.

My plan is to transfer the 1641 barrels, pistons and carb from the old
engine to the new one before fitting it, along with new piston rings.

My question is regarding the exhaust - what would be suitable?
Considering that my engine specification isn't far from an original
factory 1584cc, would a standard exhaust be okay? Or would I be
better off fitting something a bit better? (Such as: http://tinyurl.com/3e5cy9).

Ideally I would like to retain something stock looking.

Old April 17th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

> Hello Group!
>
> As you may know, the original engine in my 1303 suffered from knocking
> bearings so I have bought a decent AR-code 1300 to replace it with.
> The original engine was an AR-code 1300 that a previous owner fitted
> 1641 barrels and pistons too, along with a progressive Weber, new
> heads and a Monza 4-tip exhaust. The Weber was giving me awful fuel
> consumption, so I replaced it with a stock Solex 34-pict3.
>
> My plan is to transfer the 1641 barrels, pistons and carb from the old
> engine to the new one before fitting it, along with new piston rings.
>
> My question is regarding the exhaust - what would be suitable?
> Considering that my engine specification isn't far from an original
> factory 1584cc, would a standard exhaust be okay? Or would I be
> better off fitting something a bit better? (Such as:
http://tinyurl.com/3e5cy9).

> Ideally I would like to retain something stock looking.

One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
And you can't assume that just because a muffler is fitted with the
flanges to make the connection that exh gas will actually flow.

Lack of preheat (hot spot) will cause bad stumbling problems
with the 34PICT, as if it didn't have enough problems of its own :-)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old April 18th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

On 17 Apr, 14:40, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
> of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
> And you can't assume that just because a muffler is fitted with the
> flanges to make the connection that exh gas will actually flow.
>
> Lack of preheat (hot spot) will cause bad stumbling problems
> with the 34PICT, as if it didn't have enough problems of its own :-)

Thanks Jim,

I have to say, that was one of the main reasons why I was favouring
the stock setup. Plus the fact that they fit first time, and work
just as Volkswagen intended :-)

The Monza on there before was horrific - the manifold was a pain to
position correctly, and I was never convinced it had sealed properly
either. Thank goodness on this car I have nearly got rid of all the
infamous "previous owner syndrome"!

My main concern was that fitting a stock exhaust to a slightly-larger-
than-stock engine would throttle it somewhat.

New piston rings for a 1641 are half the price of a set of new 1584
B&P's...

Old April 18th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Howard Rose wrote:
> On 17 Apr, 14:40, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>> One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
>> of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
>> And you can't assume that just because a muffler is fitted with the
>> flanges to make the connection that exh gas will actually flow.
>>
>> Lack of preheat (hot spot) will cause bad stumbling problems
>> with the 34PICT, as if it didn't have enough problems of its own :-)

> Thanks Jim,
>
> I have to say, that was one of the main reasons why I was favouring
> the stock setup. Plus the fact that they fit first time, and work
> just as Volkswagen intended :-)
>
> The Monza on there before was horrific - the manifold was a pain to
> position correctly, and I was never convinced it had sealed properly
> either. Thank goodness on this car I have nearly got rid of all the
> infamous "previous owner syndrome"!
>
> My main concern was that fitting a stock exhaust to a slightly-larger-
> than-stock engine would throttle it somewhat.
>
> New piston rings for a 1641 are half the price of a set of new 1584
> B&P's...

The Austrian Porsche Rally team also did a few T1's. 126Hp from a 1599cc
with stock style exhaust, probably empty inside, but still stock style
with peashooters and all!

Monza exhaust is one of the worst flowing exhaust still on sale, along
with Brozol or Cofab (SP?).

J.

1641 cc Drag car Freddy Badgett VW air cooled 0 April 8th 07 11:35 PM
v-8 exhaust Chip Jeep 5 May 29th 06 03:45 AM
1776cc or 1641? greenman1923 via CarKB.com VW air cooled 7 March 7th 06 02:22 PM
Exhaust for 83 YJ Steve Foley Jeep 3 August 9th 05 05:25 PM
1600 -> 1641 Ant VW air cooled 31 June 28th 05 03:20 PM