I Hate FLAPS

Old April 17th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Cletus[_2_]

Default I Hate FLAPS

Why is everybody out to sell, sell ,SELL? instead of helping a
longtime customer? I lost respect for the local vw parts house a few
years ago when they insisted I'd be better off with one piece windows
rather then re build my stock doors to combat leaks. Then I decided
ok, they were ok for valve cover gaskets etc, things they couldn't
screw up, but no more big stuff, I mean they never heard of a SVDA
but are more than happy to sell you a chrome 009. So the the other
day I needed some bushings for the front end of my super, so I grab my
WCM catalog and point to what I need, ok 5 bucks each, But the dude
didn't mention I would need a $700 press to install them!! I wondered
why he was smirking as he handed them to me, at the same time looking
past me to the kid who was buying $500 worth of chrome for his
Rabbit. I just hate going into these places when I have been driving
VW's longer than these kids have been alive!! thanx for listening,
that is all.

Old April 17th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> but are more than happy to sell you a chrome 009. So the the other
> day I needed some bushings for the front end of my super, so I grab my
> WCM catalog and point to what I need, ok 5 bucks each, But the dude
> didn't mention I would need a $700 press to install them!! I wondered
> why he was smirking as he handed them to me, at the same time looking
> past me to the kid who was buying $500 worth of chrome for his

Well usually you can farm out the hydraulic press work for rather
cheap. It cost me an hour labor(which I thought was a little steep...)
to have the drop-arm removed from my steering gearbox, 4 bushings
pushed out, and two ball joints removed/reinstalled on my 74 super.
But even at about $65 bucks for labor, that's still a lot less than a
$700 press...

Chris

Old April 17th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
john

As you just learned, you can hire out the press work cheap.

But in the spirit of your lament - decades ago I was rebuilding a Harley
a little at a time. I'd look at the manual over breakfast, choose a
page to follow that evening. I can't tell you how often I'd get
half-way through the page when it would say, "Now use Harley-Davidson
special tool #@%&^%%$". Eventually I wised up and found I didn't need
it after all, but bought it anyway to make life easier for the next
rebuild. Hah! Like I'll ever rebuild a Harley Big Twin again!
Old April 17th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

David Gravereaux wrote:
> Ditto for me. Two inner tie rod bushings pressed-out for $20 at a local tire shop.

FWIW, after replacing the inner control arm bushings (my mistake above) with stock
replacements on my `73 Super, I later replaced them again with the stiffer
neoprene "sportier" ones that didn't require a press to install.

Highway shimmies solved!

--
"I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside."
--- Calvin