6V to 12 conversion q.

Old May 10th 13, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 6V to 12 conversion q.

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > ...put an old Bus-axle in it. It wouldn't want to wheelie when
> > climbing a hill {...} like a Bug-axle will.

> Those were the ones with the reduction gears at the wheel end of
> the axles?

Yes and you had to put the ring on the opposite side of the pinion
if you were converting a Bug transmission + differential to Bus.

^^that's the key to the whole thing, see it?

> > Are you talking about cutting the clutch housing out so the
> > 12v flywheel and ring gear would fit?

> Yes, but {I} wasn't cutting out the entire housing.
> <snip>
> Maybe earlier transmissions,... would have require more grinding.

Yeah, that was the case with mine, a little bit all the way around
and more at the four bolt/stud holes.

> It was mostly tedious.

LOL! ...not on a dune buggy it wasn't.

> Put the engine in....

....then pull it right back out again and take a look.

Set the engine on an old metal milk-basket out of the way. xD

> I think we test fit it four or five times until it finally would
> spin without hitting anything.

Same here.

> > Had the kids help me {collect} the shavings and piled 'em
> > up and set 'em on fire too. LOL

> I just vacuumed them out.
> - Bill

That would have been kind of "exiting" if the magnesium shavings
would've caught fire inside your vacuum cleaner.

Wow, forgot all about this tool I made, it's shining moment was
prob'ly that clutch bellhousing...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/burr-motor.jpg

It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it's running (~7500rpm).

Alvin in AZ
Old May 10th 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

wrote in message ...
> Bill Leary > wrote:
>>> ...put an old Bus-axle in it. It wouldn't want to wheelie when
>>> climbing a hill {...} like a Bug-axle will.

>> Those were the ones with the reduction gears at the wheel end of
>> the axles?

> Yes and you had to put the ring on the opposite side of the pinion
> if you were converting a Bug transmission + differential to Bus.
>
> ^^that's the key to the whole thing, see it?

Yes. But, in my case, (1) this was a street car (2) I wasn't that
mechanically adept and (3) it never occurred to me.

>>> Are you talking about cutting the clutch housing out so the
>>> 12v flywheel and ring gear would fit?

>> Yes, but {I} wasn't cutting out the entire housing.
>> <snip>
>> Maybe earlier transmissions,... would have require more grinding.

> Yeah, that was the case with mine, a little bit all the way around
> and more at the four bolt/stud holes.

It's *possible* I'm forgetting having to grind anywhere else. This was
decades ago.

>> It was mostly tedious.

> LOL! ...not on a dune buggy it wasn't.

I imagine that would make it easier. Still, several of us owned more or
less contemporary bugs and we'd gotten to where we could get an engine out
or back in in minutes.

>> Put the engine in....

> ...then pull it right back out again and take a look.
>
> Set the engine on an old metal milk-basket out of the way. xD

Oh, we just left it on the piece of plywood on the floor jack. The guy
holding the light held onto the engine with his other hand so it wouldn't
fall off. And we had the car parked with the back tires on cinder blocks,
which got it to a convenient height to slip the engine under the body at the
back.

>> I think we test fit it four or five times until it finally would
>> spin without hitting anything.

> Same here.

The mechanic talked as if it wasn't all *that* unusual, but to this day,
I've never encountered anyone else who actually did it.

>>> Had the kids help me {collect} the shavings and piled 'em
>>> up and set 'em on fire too. LOL

>> I just vacuumed them out.

> That would have been kind of "exiting" if the magnesium shavings
> would've caught fire inside your vacuum cleaner.

Exciting? I suppose so. I don't recall being aware that the transmission
housing was made of (with?) magnesium. Well, maybe "exiting" is the right
word too. I imagine we'd have been out of that garage pretty damn fast if
that had happened.

> Wow, forgot all about this tool I made, it's shining moment was
> prob'ly that clutch bellhousing...
>
> http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/burr-motor.jpg

Seems handy. We just used an electric drill with a grinding wheel in it.

> It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it's running (~7500rpm).

I imagine. What's the motor from? I can see "BARTLETT EQUIPMENT CO." on
it, but can't read anything else.

- Bill

Old May 14th 13, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > That would have been kind of "exiting" if the magnesium shavings
> > would've caught fire inside your vacuum cleaner.

> Exciting? I suppose so. I don't recall being aware that the
> transmission housing was made of magnesium. Well, maybe "exiting"
> is the right word too. I imagine we'd have been out of that
> garage pretty damn fast if that had happened.

Drag that baby outta the garage spray water on it the Mg takes the
oxygen away from the H2 as if you were puring liquid oxygen on the
fire. See? Exciting. LOL

> > Wow, forgot all about this tool I made, it's shining moment was
> > prob'ly that clutch bellhousing...
> > http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/burr-motor.jpg

> We just used an electric drill with a grinding wheel in it.

Yeah, since it ain't-aluminum, it prob'ly cut pretty good.

> > It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it's running (~7500rpm).

> I imagine. What's the motor from? I can see "BARTLETT EQUIPMENT
> CO." on it, but can't read anything else.
> - Bill

It sez something like "brake relining" on it. ??
Either used to clean the steel shoes or cut the drums??
I just got the motor from a yard sale really cheap cause the front
ball bearing was noisy.

-----------------

Engine cases are magnesium too. xD

Alvin in AZ
Old May 14th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:29:37 AM UTC-7, Jorge wrote:
> a neighbor with a '60 bug asked me how difficult it is to go 12 volt.
>
> I thought the starter was the worst of it.
>
> tho you can spin a 6v starter with 12volt. isn't it easier to rebush the
>
> tranny and find a bendix that fits the ring gear?
>
> where can one get this?
>
> TIA

Been running the original 1958 6v starter in alfie for over 10 years since his conversion to 12v, with no issues..
In my 54 I did the same thing, and sold the car after 15 years..
The car spins and starts instantly!

4x4 conversion Amber 4x4 2 July 8th 07 09:51 PM
E85 conversion: Can it be done? supergeorge VW air cooled 11 April 28th 06 12:51 AM
CNG conversion Not Me Technology 1 April 21st 05 09:57 PM
H23 conversion? VAMP MADNESS Honda 0 January 5th 05 07:44 AM
6 to V8 conversion William Oliveri Jeep 7 December 7th 04 12:38 AM