Removing ignition switch without key.

Old February 16th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Removing ignition switch without key.

Hi,
66 mustang...Can I remove the ignition switch without the key (keys are
lost) as I am having trouble. I have a new tumbler with keys and switch
assembley but cant seem to twist the assembly out from behind the
dash.? Avoiding drilling it out but maybe I have to.

Old February 16th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On 15 Feb 2006 19:39:40 -0800, "Brendan" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>66 mustang...Can I remove the ignition switch without the key (keys are
>lost) as I am having trouble. I have a new tumbler with keys and switch
>assembley but cant seem to twist the assembly out from behind the
>dash.? Avoiding drilling it out but maybe I have to.

You should not have to drill out anything. Have to check, but I
believe it's a lot easier than that...
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old February 16th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Donty ou just remove bezel.? I know you have to a small pin or something in
to remove the assemble and you need key for that.

news

Old February 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Ray or Bobbi Adams" > wrote in message
> Donty ou just remove bezel.? I know you have to a small pin or something
> in
> to remove the assemble and you need key for that.

No, the OP is correct. The bezel just holds in the ignition switch "module"
to the car. The key barrel can't be removed from the ignition switch
"module" without the key. They are two separate pieces that are combined.

To re-key a classic, you have to have the original key for the ignition. Not
for the other locks obviously, but specifically for the ignition.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old February 16th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote:

>Hi,
>66 mustang...Can I remove the ignition switch without the key (keys are
>lost) as I am having trouble. I have a new tumbler with keys and switch
>assembley but cant seem to twist the assembly out from behind the
>dash.? Avoiding drilling it out but maybe I have to.

I just went through both Chilton and Haynes manuals and essentially,
it says to remove the cyl you have to insert the key, turn it, and
slip a wire into the hole....

Then, to replace the switch, it says the same thing, followed by...

....then press on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn
counter clockwise. Remove the bezel, switch and spacer. Next, remove
the nut from the back of the switch. Remove the accessory and gauge
feed wires from the accessory terminal. Pull the insulated plug from
the rear of the switch. Follow reverse order to install the new
switch.

If you are replacing the switch and cylinder, then destruction of the
old is not important. It seems I recall a large screwdriver being
used. Lets see if anyone has any information on that before going
with it. ANYONE?

Old February 17th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I thought the thieves used a slide hammer? Then they put a big screwdriver
in to start the car?
Fred

Old February 17th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Easier to jerk a couple of wires.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:16:31 GMT, "Fred V." >
wrote:

>I thought the thieves used a slide hammer? Then they put a big screwdriver
>in to start the car?
>Fred

.. .

Old February 17th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You need the correct key and a paper clip wire to stick in the little hole
while in acc..,however the theives use a slide hammer equipped with a
tapered screw in the keyhole and then a screwdriver,,Seems like they had no
problem everytime they attempted(and failed) to steal my mustang with the
transmission lock.
Ken
"Spike" > wrote in message
> Easier to jerk a couple of wires.
>
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:16:31 GMT, "Fred V." >
> wrote:
>
>>I thought the thieves used a slide hammer? Then they put a big screwdriver
>>in to start the car?
>>Fred

. ..

Old February 17th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"kenG2" > wrote in message
. ..
> You need the correct key and a paper clip wire to stick in the little hole
> while in acc..,however the theives use a slide hammer equipped with a
> tapered screw in the keyhole and then a screwdriver,,Seems like they had

no
> problem everytime they attempted(and failed) to steal my mustang with the
> transmission lock.
> Ken

Without the key on an old car like that you can pick the lock and avoid a
lot of trouble. I'm no locksmith but I've done it lots of times.

Al

Old February 25th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Spike" > wrote in message
: Easier to jerk a couple of wires.

No... no it isn't.
Three twists to screw it in
One - MAYBE two yanks on the slide and POW you are gone.

Provided the SOB starts right up and runs.

KJK