Ex-Starforce Publisher turns to STEAM!

Old November 17th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Default Ex-Starforce Publisher turns to STEAM!

wrote:
> I think you need to go back into your shed in the woods and keep up on your
> manifesto.....
>
> I had Steam for a long time when i played HL2 and Counterstike. Never had an
> issue with them and wasn't worrying myself to death about them spying on me or
> something.
>
> Usually the only people who yell the loudest about privacy and freedom, are
> those that have something to hide... like copying games.

I don't agree with his view of Steam, but your last sentence gives me the creeps.
"You're with me, or you're a terrorist!" Right?

And you could at least have removed his outburst...
Old November 18th 06, 09:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
Ralph Hoenig

This whole copy protection thing is kind of rediculous, if you ask me.

Iīm with Brad Wardell on the issue. I have taken the liberty to cut and past
a part of an interview he gave to Gamasutra.

<Start of quote>

GS: Speaking of single player, how do you feel about copy protection?
BW: I've always been pro copy protection in the general sense, but I don't
like the way game companies approach it. It's like the game industry has
lived in this cocoon that the rest of the software industry has already
broken out of. I don't like having to keep a CD in my drive or having
something installing spyware on my computer to tell me what I should be
doing. When I want to run Photoshop or Word I don't have to put a CD in the
drive. Microsoft and Adobe aren't installing drivers on my machine to
monitor what I'm doing. "Oh look, you have a CD burner on your machine, I
won't work." That's the sort of thing I really object to. I think so many
game publishers are behind the time. The software industry went through this
as well. Remember dongles?

GS: Oh yeah. I used a lot of 3D Studio back in the day.

BW: There were all kind of goofy things on all kinds of software, but they
grew out of that. They realized that the goal of copy protection isn't to
stop people from pirating but to increase sales. That's an important
distinction. I don't like people pirating my game.

GS: Naturally.

BW: I find it annoying on principle. The question is "would they have bought
the game anyway?" If they wouldn't have bought the game, then why should I
be concentrating on them? I should be concentrating on maximizing my overall
sales. Don't inconvenience legitimate users but inconvenience illegitimate
users. Some percentage of them will buy the game.

GS: You don't waste that time and money stopping someone who won't buy your
product anyway.

BW: Right. Did you hear that twenty eight percent of gamers won't even buy a
game? This was a study put out by one of the copy protection companies as
proof of why copy protection isn't negative. This study says that ONLY
twenty eight percent of gamers won't buy a game with copy protection. I was
thinking "HOLY COW, that's a disaster!"

<End of quote>

The industry screaming all over the place is much like the music business
crying about people stealing their songs. Yes, there is a lot of trading
going on, yes, if those people had all bought the music legaly, they would
have earned a *huge* amount of money.

Hello!

Many of those trading songs back and forth wouldnīt have bought the music
anyway, īcause they simply donīt have the money (does anybody think 12 year
old kids would spend 100 bucks a month for music, if there werenīt any
trading portals around?).

So whatever you do, you wonīt earn that kind of mony. Investing in copy
protection, that doesnīt prevent illegal copies, wonīt increase sales, and
****es off a substatial part of your customers is a big NO-NO, businiss
wise. Perhaps the suits will somewhen get to understand this. In the
meantime, the customers have the right to choose what they buy. If you donīt
like the copy protection, donīt buy the game *and* let guys in the shop you
regularly buy your games *know* why you donīt buy it. If there is enough
complaint, maybe they will react.

I, for example, am playing pc-games for at least 15 years and have bought
some 300+ games over that time. Lets assume a game, on the average, costs
30?, then I have spent 9000? on games. Would you, as a business person, want
to throw that kind of money away, because, well "we have to use a more
agressive copy protection. I know it wonīt keep our game from being cracked,
and yes, it wonīt help our sales, but hey, everyone does it"

Old November 18th 06, 12:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
zeez

Claude Leclerc wrote:
> Partly incorrect ;-).
>
> With HL2 I went to a friend with Internet connection and was able to install
> and set it up for off-line play.
> It worked for about a month and, I don't know why, it ask me back to
> connect.
> (If someone know why it would ask to go back online, it could be usefull if
> I disconnect from the Web again)
> I had 2 solutions:
> - Moving my PC again to my friends place.
> - Desinstall.
>
> I selected the easiest.

Any system that forces you to have to "talk" to a provider to keep it
running is a VERY
BAD THING. Aside from the privacy issues, what if the company goes
belly up, dosen't release an unlock patch, and you get to sit with a
dead game that you can no longer play?

Old November 18th 06, 03:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
JAB

zeez wrote:
> Claude Leclerc wrote:
>> Partly incorrect ;-).
>>
>> With HL2 I went to a friend with Internet connection and was able to install
>> and set it up for off-line play.
>> It worked for about a month and, I don't know why, it ask me back to
>> connect.
>> (If someone know why it would ask to go back online, it could be usefull if
>> I disconnect from the Web again)
>> I had 2 solutions:
>> - Moving my PC again to my friends place.
>> - Desinstall.
>>
>> I selected the easiest.
>>

> Any system that forces you to have to "talk" to a provider to keep it
> running is a VERY
> BAD THING. Aside from the privacy issues, what if the company goes
> belly up, dosen't release an unlock patch, and you get to sit with a
> dead game that you can no longer play?

"Aside from the privacy issues, ..." care to explain this one a bit more?
Old November 18th 06, 03:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
KCB

"zeez" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Claude Leclerc wrote:
>> Partly incorrect ;-).
>>
>> With HL2 I went to a friend with Internet connection and was able to
>> install
>> and set it up for off-line play.
>> It worked for about a month and, I don't know why, it ask me back to
>> connect.
>> (If someone know why it would ask to go back online, it could be
>> usefull if
>> I disconnect from the Web again)
>> I had 2 solutions:
>> - Moving my PC again to my friends place.
>> - Desinstall.
>>
>> I selected the easiest.
>>

> Any system that forces you to have to "talk" to a provider to keep it
> running is a VERY
> BAD THING. Aside from the privacy issues, what if the company goes
> belly up, dosen't release an unlock patch, and you get to sit with a
> dead game that you can no longer play?

There's already a Steamless HL2 out there, so that argument gets tossed.

Old November 18th 06, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
==--==

>>STEAM reaches are not as obvious as Starforce.<<

You should try to at least once describe some problem with Steam. Aside
from just accusing -- where is your proof that Steam is doing ANYTHING????

I've had no problems with Steam since day1

(I would "prefer" that the online interface closed with the game - but I
understand why they do that and it is not too difficult for me to right
click and close manually)

==--==

ups.com...

Old November 18th 06, 11:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
bp

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:07:24 +1100, Rod >
wrote:

>On 16 Nov 2006 23:41:57 -0800, "pc games" >
>wrote:
>
>>Ex-Starforce Publisher turns to STEAM!
>>
>>SimBin a well known and PROUD Starforce Publisher has UPGRADED
>>its copy-protection system to a even more AGRESSIVE one, and
>>off course it had to be STEAM, the top of the line in AGRESSIVE
>>copy-protection.
>>
>>SimBin's "RACE - The Official WTCC Game" will be STEAM INFECTED!
>>http://www.race-game.org/

>Excellent.
>
>I'm currently loading Medieval 2 and I will be loading RACE. I'm
>personally saving $25 per game due to having to pay US price.
>Local price for games is around $75US!

Good for you
All I get is a full retail price, no CD, and many times no
documentation all at the same price as the store version that has all
that other stuff.

Old November 18th 06, 11:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
Hank the Rapper

pc games wrote:
> Ex-Starforce Publisher turns to STEAM!

Wow! What else can he turn into?

Old November 19th 06, 02:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,rec.autos.simulators
Tim O

wrote:

>SimBin's "RACE - The Official WTCC Game" will be STEAM INFECTED!
>http://www.race-game.org/

I have HL2, and I'm not really pro or anti-STEAM yet, but I see this
game being released on STEAM as a positive. I like race sims, and many
of the World Touring and Rally sims are difficult to find in the US.
Since the market isn't huge here, some are delayed by months after a
European market push, and some don't make it here at all.

This is one case where I welcome the availability to download. I've
never once used a download service for a retail game. This might be
the one.

What's this about starforce in Vista ? [email protected] Simulators 17 November 14th 06 07:32 PM
'01 JGC weird tranny behavior...left turns only... tom Jeep 5 September 23rd 06 06:12 PM
GTR 2 and TOCA 3 demos use Starforce protection! CMORE Simulators 18 August 2nd 06 03:22 PM
Starforce again mike Simulators 0 January 11th 06 05:15 AM
Starforce Mike Beauchamp Simulators 1 October 17th 04 11:55 PM