Microsoft wheel

Old November 12th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dennis Croll

Default Microsoft wheel

windows xp system

Sidewinder force feedback wheel USB
software version 4.0

I installed the software. In the Sidewinder Control panel I select the wheel
and it recognizes it but when I select properties I get an error message
that memory is full or a component may be missing. So I uninstalled the
software then reinstalled it. and the same thing. I installed nascar 2003
and got the wheel to work but the six buttons on the wheel don't work. The
button setup is in the Sidewinder control, properties I think but I cant get
there. Anyone having this problem.

Old November 13th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rookie[_2_]

Have you tried to run windows XP update?

The reason I ask is, I have the MS FF with the serial cable hooked up on a
second pc and the software won't install on XP. So I ran windows update and
there was a install for the wheel and it works fine.

Old November 13th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Known issue. No known resolution that I know of.

MS hasn't updated the sidewinder software, EVER, for this wheel, yet they
gave it HWQL certification for XP even though it still says for 95/98 only
when installed.

I guess when you own the hardware 'quality' lab you can do whatever you
want.

-Larry

Old November 13th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rolf Wesemann

I had some problems with my MSFF wheel and I got them solved by installing
DXTweak2 Software (from Logotech, but works with any wheel). Maybe this
helps you too. You have to google to find it, but it's easy to find.
Rolf

Old November 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

Larry wrote:
> Known issue. No known resolution that I know of.

The game port Sidewinder wheel works fine with XP as long as you
actually have a game port - the game port to USB adapters won't work.

The Sidewinder software however will not work with XP. From memory it
even tells you that if you try to install it.

Just plug the wheel in, fire up the PC and add a "Microsoft SideWinder
(Auto Detect)" game controller through the Control Panel.

You can't program the buttons without the Sidewinder software but most
games these days let you do that through their own configs.

I passed my old game port Sidewinder to a friend who has been using it
successfully with XP and NR2003, LfS, rFactor, etc. for a few years.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old November 13th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RAID!!!

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:29:48 +1100, Mr Q wrote:

> You can't program the buttons without the Sidewinder software but most
> games these days let you do that through their own configs.

Yea, I don't install the software for my MS wheel either as XP comes with
the drivers built in but that means I have to always used combined axis
pedals too.
Old November 14th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Technically you all are at least half wrong from my experience in Sidewinder
and monitoring this beard of the last 5 years...

I have knowledge that something in windows XP service pak2 screws up the
installation, (something to do with scripting that was an open hole for
security). If you have a PreService pack 2 install disk, install the wheel
before you do win updates. Hell I even got this wheel (sidewinder FF wheel)
working under RC1 of vista, by installing the wheel before I did the
upgrades for xp, then installed the trial version of Vista as an
"upgrade"...

Yes, in any case, XP did warn you it was not software for "your version of
windows", but we go ahead and install it and all the profiles anyway. But I
repeat something in ServicePack2 ruins the ability to change profiles from
inside the controlpanel appication that is in use when you install the
driver and profiles.

I do not know the work around if you get everything on SP2, I do know you
cannot mess with the particulars of profiles but I was sure you could select
one & load one if you had one. if you need one pick the GPL or get a
profile from a buddy. I created the one I use, from the GPL one supplied,
with seperate pedals and all that. this allowed me to race GPL, RBR, GTR,
GTLegends, NRO3 and some others without changing the profile all the time.
It aint as great as changing for each game, but this way all the games are
relatively the same to me, the way I like it...

Old November 14th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Lemme rephrase 2 things...

Plowboy wrote:
> Technically you all are at least half wrong from my experience in
> Sidewinder and monitoring this beard of the last 5 years...

this word here that I typo' d ^^should been BOARD

> I have knowledge that something in windows XP service pak2 screws up
> the installation, (something to do with scripting that was an open
> hole for security). If you have a PreService pack 2 install disk,
> install the wheel before you do win updates. Hell I even got this
> wheel (sidewinder FF wheel) working under RC1 of vista, by installing
> the wheel before I did the upgrades for xp, then installed the trial
> version of Vista as an "upgrade"...
>
> Yes, in any case, XP did warn you it was not software for "your
> version of windows", but we go ahead and install it and all the
> profiles anyway.

YOu can install and half heartedly use the "profier app" if you have SP2
already built in on your version of XP, But I repeat something in
ServicePack2 ruins the ability to change profiles from inside the
controlpanel appication that is in use when you install the driver and
profiles, ONLY if you install SIDEWINDER software, after XP service Pack 2
is INSTALLED...

> I do not know the work around after you allow XP to install the drivers
> and software, after XP is patched to SP2. But I do know you cannot mess
> with the particulars of profiles but I was sure you could "select a known
> good profile" &use it, if you had one.

If you need one to test my theory, pick the GPL or get a profile from a
buddy. AGAIN you cant get in to see what the settins are or anything, but
you would at least have controls setup seperate etc. I recomend maybe find
a POS 98 machine install the SW temporarily to harvest profiles? <<that
would be the hard way>>

Old November 14th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

RAID!!! wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:29:48 +1100, Mr Q wrote:
>

>> You can't program the buttons without the Sidewinder software but most
>> games these days let you do that through their own configs.

> Yea, I don't install the software for my MS wheel either as XP comes with
> the drivers built in but that means I have to always used combined axis
> pedals too.

Unless it changed in later versions of XP the default Sidewinder wheel
setup was for separate axis.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old November 14th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

Plowboy wrote:
> Technically you all are at least half wrong from my experience in Sidewinder
> and monitoring this beard of the last 5 years...
>
> I have knowledge that something in windows XP service pak2

No idea about half what you wrote, but can say from experience that if
you plug the wheel in and DO NOT install the Sidewinder software it all
works quite well. You cannot make different profiles for different games
but most games let you set the controls in their own configs anyway.

--

Mr Q