rFactor-M?

Old September 14th 05, 03:21 AM
Dave

Default rFactor-M?

Is there a freaking manual for this sim?
I bought the download, and would like to RTFM!

Dave

Old September 14th 05, 03:45 AM
Alan Bernardo

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Is there a freaking manual for this sim?
> I bought the download, and would like to RTFM!
>
> Dave

There is no manual. Very odd, I know. The readme file has some important
information. But that's all you're going to get, besides a trip to a few
forums here and there. Never heard of a game, which costs 40 bills, not
having a manual. Most of the figuring about what is going on will have to
be through trial and error. To me, though I am enjoying rFactor immensely,
the game reminds me of GTR, in that the way you have to go about doing
things is completely illogical, defying common sense. It's a nice sim; it
is far from being polished, however.

Alanb

Old September 14th 05, 07:37 AM
Sidney H Bridge

Alan Bernardo wrote:
> To me, though I am enjoying rFactor immensely,
> the game reminds me of GTR, in that the way you have to go about doing
> things is completely illogical, defying common sense.

Example?
Old September 14th 05, 12:54 PM
Byron Forbes

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> Is there a freaking manual for this sim?
>> I bought the download, and would like to RTFM!
>>
>> Dave
>>

> There is no manual. Very odd, I know. The readme file has some important
> information. But that's all you're going to get, besides a trip to a few
> forums here and there. Never heard of a game, which costs 40 bills, not
> having a manual. Most of the figuring about what is going on will have to
> be through trial and error. To me, though I am enjoying rFactor
> immensely, the game reminds me of GTR, in that the way you have to go
> about doing things is completely illogical, defying common sense. It's a
> nice sim; it is far from being polished, however.
>
> Alanb

That's far too general a comment imo. The game is highly polished in
most important areas in fact The ommision of a good, intuitive manual with
an index is slack however. It only needs this and the hopefully small
problem of results for online races fixed and it is highly polished in fact.
The rest all seems perfectly logical to me.

If this thing had the 2 things mentioned above, a replay system the
equal or better of NR2003 AND weather, then apart from the oval racing for
NR2003, everyone on the planet would drop everything else and be racing
rFactor. Even without all that, I'd say even a lot of the GPL diehards will
jump on board when we see a few more tracks and mods.

Old September 15th 05, 03:27 AM
Alan Bernardo

"Sidney H Bridge" > wrote in message
> Alan Bernardo wrote:
>> To me, though I am enjoying rFactor immensely,
>> the game reminds me of GTR, in that the way you have to go about doing
>> things is completely illogical, defying common sense.

> Example?

Right off the bat, I can think of few examples.

First, the process of entering IP addresses and then having to search the
servers for the one you want. No big deal, but just strange. Why not a
simple entering of the IP address and then you connect to that address.

Second, the whole situation with the *.ini files. To change the POV or the
front-back seat movement, you pretty much have to edit the respective *.ini
files. Using hotkeys moves the seat back and forward and up and down in
very small increments, with short limitations.

Third, the deal with adding AI drivers to a race or when playing singly.
There is no way to limit upgrades or the faster cars. For example, running
a race with only the zr vehicles, there is a wide discrepancy in lap times,
with those cars having the upgrades running a lot faster. What has to be
done is to let the AI run some laps and then boot those AI cars who are
running a good 10 seconds faster. Otherwise, there's no chance to even have
a chance of winning or placing well.

Fourth, the entire menu system is just too involved. It's not as bad as
GTR; but still, a few mouse-clicks here and there could be saved.

Thinking with any depth on this issue, it's possible that I could give you
ten more examples. rFactor is a nice sim. But polished it is not.

Alanb

Old September 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Steve Whitty

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
> Third, the deal with adding AI drivers to a race or when playing singly.
> There is no way to limit upgrades or the faster cars. For example,
> running a race with only the zr vehicles, there is a wide discrepancy in
> lap times, with those cars having the upgrades running a lot faster. What
> has to be done is to let the AI run some laps and then boot those AI cars
> who are running a good 10 seconds faster. Otherwise, there's no chance to
> even have a chance of winning or placing well.

when setting up a race against the ai, when you come to selecting track,
click on the "opponents" tab. you can select which type of vehicle and what
classes are allowed to run.

cheers

steve

Old September 15th 05, 08:20 AM
Sidney H Bridge

Steve Whitty wrote:
> "Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
>
>>Third, the deal with adding AI drivers to a race or when playing singly.
>>There is no way to limit upgrades or the faster cars. For example,
>>running a race with only the zr vehicles, there is a wide discrepancy in
>>lap times, with those cars having the upgrades running a lot faster. What
>>has to be done is to let the AI run some laps and then boot those AI cars
>>who are running a good 10 seconds faster. Otherwise, there's no chance to
>>even have a chance of winning or placing well.

> when setting up a race against the ai, when you come to selecting track,
> click on the "opponents" tab. you can select which type of vehicle and what
> classes are allowed to run.
>
> cheers
>
> steve

Yep all seems simple and straightforward enough for me. But maybe not
simple enough for the young gentleman to understand.
Old September 15th 05, 11:35 AM
Alan Bernardo

>> when setting up a race against the ai, when you come to selecting track,
>> click on the "opponents" tab. you can select which type of vehicle and
>> what classes are allowed to run.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> steve
>>

> Yep all seems simple and straightforward enough for me. But maybe not
> simple enough for the young gentleman to understand.

I may be older than you (which I probably am) and a lot simpler, but if you
recheck your facts you'll notice that yes, you can select certain car
classes, but some of these cars within the classes have upgrades and are
faster than the cars without upgrades.

Look into this and you'll see.

All in all, you've made a real fool of yourself, calling someone young (and
by implication, simple) when by the extent of your knowledge of what you
speak, you've probably just got out of grammar school.

Alanb

Old September 15th 05, 02:29 PM
Darus

Look at it this way. If EA put our rFactor instead of the "no
publisher" method, you would have received the same thing. Take F1C for
example. Sure there was a manual included, but what good did it do?
IIRC, there was nothing of value in there and the exact same system of
trial and error and reading RAS, RSC, etc. would apply.

Old September 15th 05, 03:54 PM
Dave

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Look at it this way. If EA put our rFactor instead of the "no
> publisher" method, you would have received the same thing. Take F1C for
> example. Sure there was a manual included, but what good did it do?
> IIRC, there was nothing of value in there and the exact same system of
> trial and error and reading RAS, RSC, etc. would apply.

whatever.