Highway On-Ramps

Old November 29th 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Highway On-Ramps

Highway On-ramps:

When entering a high-speed limited
access or toll highway, is it necessary
to use the entire length of the on-ramp,
right up to the last inch?

I noticed some drivers do this, even
after I've flicked high beams to
allow them to merge.
Old December 4th 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Jeff wrote: "Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:
I would much rather see that than the ones that jump right into the traffic
lane while they are still only going 30-40 mph."

Not me. I take care of business in an on-ramp, and
except for the stupid parkway ones with a STOPSIGN
and barely three car lengths of merge lane beyond it,
I'm going fast enough to merge before the solid line
becomes dashes.

IOW, I shake my ASS, not sniff roses.
Old December 4th 15, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 12/03/2015 11:14 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 20:57:41 -0800, The Real Bev >
> wrote:
>
>>On 12/03/2015 08:15 PM, wrote:
>>> Jeff wrote: "Ashton Crusher > wrote in
>>> :
>>> I would much rather see that than the ones that jump right into the traffic
>>> lane while they are still only going 30-40 mph."
>>>
>>> Not me. I take care of business in an on-ramp, and
>>> except for the stupid parkway ones with a STOPSIGN
>>> and barely three car lengths of merge lane beyond it,
>>> I'm going fast enough to merge before the solid line
>>> becomes dashes.

>>Three car lengths? LOOOXURY! There are on-ramps to the Pasadena
>>Freeway where the stop sign is AT the freeway. At least it used to be
>>that way. I haven't used it for a long time.
>>
>>> IOW, I shake my ASS, not sniff roses.

> Those things were designed in the 40's weren't they? High speed back
> then was 50 mph.

It's the second (maybe first) freeway in the US. They might have been
able to knock down some houses and reroute some streets to give longer
ramps, but it's so curvy (fun to drive) that it's doubtful that that
would do much good. I'll try to notice next time.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Some people say that when it rains it means that God is crying,