Running over bicycles

Old June 2nd 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Scholnick[_2_]

Default Running over bicycles

I'm sure you've all seen the trend to mark a lane as shared between bicycles and motor vehicles. Some such lanes even post a sign "Bicycles may use entire lane".

I recently encountered such a situation in which the city (Thousand Oaks, CA) painted a depiction of a bicycle on the pavement (near the right edge of the lane) every couple of hundred feet; in doing this, they used extra thick paint so that drivers would hear a thump each time they drove over a painted bicycle.

I hope they didn't do this as a way to get drivers used to running over bicycles!

Zoom, zoom, zoom, ka-thump, zoom, zoom, zoom, ka-thump.

Old June 2nd 15, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 06/02/2015 11:34 AM, Larry Scholnick wrote:
> I'm sure you've all seen the trend to mark a lane as shared between
> bicycles and motor vehicles. Some such lanes even post a sign
> "Bicycles may use entire lane".
>
> I recently encountered such a situation in which the city (Thousand
> Oaks, CA) painted a depiction of a bicycle on the pavement (near the
> right edge of the lane) every couple of hundred feet; in doing this,
> they used extra thick paint so that drivers would hear a thump each
> time they drove over a painted bicycle.
>
> I hope they didn't do this as a way to get drivers used to running
> over bicycles!
>
> Zoom, zoom, zoom, ka-thump, zoom, zoom, zoom, ka-thump.

Wait until it rains -- the extra-thick paint becomes a slipNslide.
Pasadena used that to mark the white line between the traffic lane and
the bicycle lane.

The world would be a much better place if assholes and idiots weren't in
control.

We've been driving down to TJ for dental work for the last several
weeks. Every time I see a yellow vette I wonder about Scott.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's important to never be arrogant. Especially if you're one