Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

Old January 2nd 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

Default Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:40:43 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 00:46:35 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
> Humble Philosopher" > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:56:05 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> >> In every country in the world, the first thing people want as they
> >> come up out of the mud is personal transportation. Even in China,
> >> with cities far bigger then most, and with plenty of public
> >> transportation of one sort or another, the people still hunger for
> >> personal transportation.

> >Right, and because of it they are choking in pollution and the world is looking into the abyss of irreversible climate change.
> >
> >And they are sitting in endless traffic jams as well, so they are not getting fast anywhere.

> So? What's it to you? It's their choice, why do you keep suggesting
> you know better how they should live then they do? Maybe you'd like
> to tell us all what size house we should be allowed and what kind of
> food we should be allowed to eat. Clearly they like cars, with all
> the attendant problems, over mass transit. Even in a
> quasi-dictatorship you see this over and over. People want the
> freedom of a car. It's only in a few places that have become rats
> nests, like NYC where many are forced to give up that dream and SETTLE
> for impersonal transportation. Even in NYC people who can will pay
> ungodly sums of money to have a car.

Funny, you want to enjoy the "freedom" to drive a car while denying a place to public transportation, trains and bicycles.

You need to be serious about them because the car has no future.
Old January 2nd 15, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-02 22:59:52 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:40:43 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 00:46:35 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
>> Humble Philosopher" > wrote:

>>> Right, and because of it they are choking in pollution and the world is
>>> looking into the abyss of irreversible climate change.
>>>
>>> And they are sitting in endless traffic jams as well, so they are not
>>> getting fast anywhere.

>> So? What's it to you? It's their choice, why do you keep suggesting
>> you know better how they should live then they do? Maybe you'd like
>> to tell us all what size house we should be allowed and what kind of
>> food we should be allowed to eat. Clearly they like cars, with all
>> the attendant problems, over mass transit. Even in a
>> quasi-dictatorship you see this over and over. People want the
>> freedom of a car. It's only in a few places that have become rats
>> nests, like NYC where many are forced to give up that dream and SETTLE
>> for impersonal transportation. Even in NYC people who can will pay
>> ungodly sums of money to have a car.

> Funny, you want to enjoy the "freedom" to drive a car while denying a
> place to public transportation, trains and bicycles.

Really? Where did he say that?

Personally, what I'd like is for those other modes of transportation to
pay their own way.

> You need to be serious about them because the car has no future.

The car has a bright future. The car is working for the vast majority
of people in North America.

How do we know this? Because they continue to choose it.

Old January 3rd 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-03 15:09:12 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> Oh no, the working class is struggling to eat because of the car. How
>>> many kids can you feed when you own a car? Not many. Unless you live on
>>> welfare.

>> What a load of unsupported bull****.

> Place yourself in their shoes and imagine they hit you with a silly red
> light ticket that costs you 160 bucks.

Hmmmm....

Don't go through red lights.

That works for me.

>>> DO YOU THINK PEOPLE ON WELFARE SHOULD OWN A CAR?

>> Strawman

> Just give me the answer. Maybe they need from the car.

Then if they need own they should own one.

It's still a strawman.

> Not all people must drive.

As is this. I never said that everyone must.

>>> Or perhaps because they have no choice. People in NYC pass on the car.
>>> They live longer than other Americans. Perhaps they eat better by not
>>> having a car.

>> I can just make things up too, you know...

> Well, if it is COMMON SENSE, yes.

Good of you to admit you made it up though.

>>> FREEDOM FROM THE CAR IS FREEDOM TOO.

>> Nope.

> Freedom from the car means freedom from the payments and the tickets.
> Don't forget the tickets. You have been targeted for predation.

I've had perhaps two tickets in the last 10 years...

....and I drive fast.

So how am I being preyed upon?

And unless you're advocating a public transportation system that can
take me everywhere I want to go as quickly as I need to get there, it
won't eliminate the car and its expenses for most people...

....simply add to those expenses.

Old January 3rd 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

More completely bull****.

> Everything is dysfunctional. You think we want free facilities. No, we
> don't want any of that. Bike lanes don't work, not connected, used for
> deliveries. They become another excuse for corruption.

I KNOW you receive free facilities.

Who will pay for those if you actually eliminate car use?

> We want a traffic lane. That means "taking the lane" in the bike
> culture. You want us to pay for it? OK, how about 30 bucks a year for
> the "license." Oh don't worry, we are not going to let loose any monkey
> on the road. Anyways the true idiots are driving already. And we don't
> want them next to us. We want next to us scooters and slow vehicles. Oh
> yes, those Neighborhood Electric Vehicles are cute and friendly.

And if that $30 a year can't pay for all the lanes you want? Where will
they come from?

Old January 4th 15, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-04 02:08:11 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> Place yourself in their shoes and imagine they hit you with a silly red
>>> light ticket that costs you 160 bucks.

>> Hmmmm....
>>
>> Don't go through red lights.

> It's NOT going through red lights. It's passing a line or failing to
> stop when turning right. That's a bad habit we could eradicate without
> being swallowed whole. We could learn by being issued a $50 ticket.
> They just go for the jugular.

It IS going through a red light. Period.

If you stop behind that line: no problem.

If you stop when turning right: no problem.

>> That works for me.

>>> Just give me the answer. Maybe they need from the car.

>> Then if they need own they should own one.
>>
>> It's still a strawman.
>>

>>> Not all people must drive.

>> As is this. I never said that everyone must.

>>> Well, if it is COMMON SENSE, yes.

>> Good of you to admit you made it up though.

> Well, am I making up that more people and more cars mean more traffic
> jams? You need a study for that or is it commonsense?

You are making up that people in NYC live longer by not having a car.

I'll put it more simply so that you can understand:

You are LYING.

>>> Freedom from the car means freedom from the payments and the tickets.
>>> Don't forget the tickets. You have been targeted for predation.

>> I've had perhaps two tickets in the last 10 years...
>>
>> ...and I drive fast.
>>
>> So how am I being preyed upon?

> Tickets, tickets, tickets. Also towing, parking fees, tolls...

Nope. Sorry, but I don't get "tickets, tickets, tickets", and any time
I've been towed, it's been my fault.

> They just doubled the tolls around here. No escape.
>>

>> And unless you're advocating a public transportation system that can
>> take me everywhere I want to go as quickly as I need to get there, it
>> won't eliminate the car and its expenses for most people...
>>
>> ...simply add to those expenses.

> Actually public transportation is a good option for those who are not
> such good drivers. It would make your driving more fun and pleasurable.

It might be a good option...

....if it didn't require drivers to subsidize it.

Old January 4th 15, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-04 02:10:29 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:35:08 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-03 17:19:34 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> I don't think we should turn this into a class struggle issue because
>>> we often are both cyclists and drivers.
>>>
>>> Naturally the bicycle is the most democratic vehicle of the two and the
>>> one that keeps you in touch with your community. I don't think you
>>> should even vote if you don't ride a bike. You don't know what's going
>>> on. You don't know about crime. You don't know about broken sidewalks.
>>> You don't know about corruption.

>> More completely bull****.
>>

>>> Everything is dysfunctional. You think we want free facilities. No, we
>>> don't want any of that. Bike lanes don't work, not connected, used for
>>> deliveries. They become another excuse for corruption.

>> I KNOW you receive free facilities.
>>
>> Who will pay for those if you actually eliminate car use?
>>

>>> We want a traffic lane. That means "taking the lane" in the bike
>>> culture. You want us to pay for it? OK, how about 30 bucks a year for
>>> the "license." Oh don't worry, we are not going to let loose any monkey
>>> on the road. Anyways the true idiots are driving already. And we don't
>>> want them next to us. We want next to us scooters and slow vehicles. Oh
>>> yes, those Neighborhood Electric Vehicles are cute and friendly.

>> And if that $30 a year can't pay for all the lanes you want? Where will
>> they come from?

> I don't want bike lanes. I want the right lane be prioritized for slow
> vehicles.
>
> We can pay as well, but don't terrorize us.

Cyclists AREN'T paying.

Neither are public transit users.

Car drivers are paying.

Old January 4th 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-04 14:42:22 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:32:48 AM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> You are not even paying for the environmental damage you cause.

>> Maybe...
>>
>> Show me the math.
>>
>> What I know is that public transit as it is today depends on there
>> being enough drivers in cars to pay for it.

> Do you think the public transit of NYC is paid by drivers as well?

I know it is. They take in only 52% of their operating costs from fares.

> It's only in the suburbs where public transportation struggles. The
> sprawl was built around the car and there lies the problem. But now we
> are talking about solutions, right?

You're mostly talking fantasies.

>>> People in Norway and the Netherlands pay their fair share for gas, that
>>> is twice as much as you do.

>> And where have I said I'd object to paying that much?

> Sure but first we need to take care of corruption. No matter how much
> money you throw into the system, it will find its way into the black
> hole of corruption.

Assumes facts you've not proven.

In other words, more bull****.

Old January 4th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:35:08 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2015-01-03 17:19:34 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:
>
> > On Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:23:54 AM UTC-5, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
> > Humble Philosopher wrote:
> >> You drivers are placing the noose around your own neck. Your radicalism
> >> doesn't even tolerate the bicycle. The bicycle infrastructure is non
> >> existent or dysfunctional. Public transportation is highly
> >> dysfunctional too. You oppose trains in the city. You oppose fast
> >> trains as well. What's next?
> >>
> >> "Carmageddon!"

> > I don't think we should turn this into a class struggle issue because
> > we often are both cyclists and drivers.
> >
> > Naturally the bicycle is the most democratic vehicle of the two and the
> > one that keeps you in touch with your community. I don't think you
> > should even vote if you don't ride a bike. You don't know what's going
> > on. You don't know about crime. You don't know about broken sidewalks.
> > You don't know about corruption.

> More completely bull****.
>

> > Everything is dysfunctional. You think we want free facilities. No, we
> > don't want any of that. Bike lanes don't work, not connected, used for
> > deliveries. They become another excuse for corruption.

> I KNOW you receive free facilities.
>
> Who will pay for those if you actually eliminate car use?

"Eliminate car use?"

I tell you drivers tend to be radical. I want to retire the bad drivers so the other forms of transportation as well as the good drivers can enjoy more room.

Old January 4th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-04 22:43:11 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:35:08 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2015-01-03 17:19:34 +0000, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher said:

>>> I don't think we should turn this into a class struggle issue because
>>> we often are both cyclists and drivers.
>>>
>>> Naturally the bicycle is the most democratic vehicle of the two and the
>>> one that keeps you in touch with your community. I don't think you
>>> should even vote if you don't ride a bike. You don't know what's going
>>> on. You don't know about crime. You don't know about broken sidewalks.
>>> You don't know about corruption.

>> More completely bull****.
>>

>>> Everything is dysfunctional. You think we want free facilities. No, we
>>> don't want any of that. Bike lanes don't work, not connected, used for
>>> deliveries. They become another excuse for corruption.

>> I KNOW you receive free facilities.
>>
>> Who will pay for those if you actually eliminate car use?

> "Eliminate car use?"
>
> I tell you drivers tend to be radical. I want to retire the bad drivers
> so the other forms of transportation as well as the good drivers can
> enjoy more room.

I want to require all drivers to be good drivers... ...or lose their
right to drive.

Old January 4th 15, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:46:14 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2015-01-04 22:43:11 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> >> More completely bull****.

> >> I KNOW you receive free facilities.
> >>
> >> Who will pay for those if you actually eliminate car use?

> > "Eliminate car use?"
> >
> > I tell you drivers tend to be radical. I want to retire the bad drivers
> > so the other forms of transportation as well as the good drivers can
> > enjoy more room.

> I want to require all drivers to be good drivers... ...or lose their
> right to drive.

Well, we need those SPEED CAMERAS to start separating the good drivers from the bad drivers.

Hint: Good drivers don't go speeding on city streets. They should have a working passing lane on freeways.