Passing On The Right - Causes Of

Old November 26th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Passing On The Right - Causes Of

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:41:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>Dave Head wrote: "- show quoted text -
>Its completely legal to pass on the right on interstates most places.
>That law was repealed in the late 60's or early 70's. That's why no
>cops are writing tickets over it. "
>

>I'll show your reply to the next state or local cop I walk into and see what they think.
>
>Until then I'm giving this one a wiiiide berth.

Virginia, my current state of Residence:

§ 46.2-841. When overtaking vehicle may pass on right.

A. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of
another vehicle only:

1. When the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn,
and its driver has given the required signal;

2. On a highway with unobstructed pavement, not occupied by parked
vehicles, of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles
in each direction;

3. On a one-way street or on any one-way roadway when the roadway is
free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines
of moving vehicles.

B. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on
the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety.
Except where driving on paved shoulders is permitted by lawfully
placed signs, no such movement shall be made by driving on the
shoulder of the highway or off the pavement or main traveled portion
of the roadway.

(Code 1950, § 46-226; 1952, c. 666; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-210; 1985, c.
481; 1989, c. 727.)

I googled "Virginia Traffic Laws Passing on the Right" Try it for
your state. I've read where it is illegal only rarely.
Old November 26th 14, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head: Sounds like pure anarchy to me - even if on the books in your's and other states.

I'll continue to stay to the right and pass only on the left, and f%^k any A-hole who tailgates and flicks their high beams at me for going too slow in the right-most lane when I'm already at or just above the speed limit!
Old November 28th 14, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Wise Tibetan Monkey wrote: "That's exactly what we've got on the roads: PURE ANARCHY. Everybody trying to get ahead of everybody, anything goes, the mighty rule...
It shows how impossible that system is. "

I'm not trying to get ahead here, just trying to drive responsibly and uphold what has worked. If you have folks trying to pass in all lanes you don't have a highway - you have a RACE TRACK.

No thanks...
Old November 28th 14, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Friday, November 28, 2014 7:16:56 AM UTC-8, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
> On Friday, November 28, 2014 8:40:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> > Wise Tibetan Monkey wrote: "That's exactly what we've got on the roads: PURE ANARCHY. Everybody trying to get ahead of everybody, anything goes, the mighty rule...
> > It shows how impossible that system is. "
> >
> > I'm not trying to get ahead here, just trying to drive responsibly and uphold what has worked. If you have folks trying to pass in all lanes you don't have a highway - you have a RACE TRACK.
> >
> > No thanks...

> I'm talking in general. A well managed road should have place for the slow and the fast, just different lanes, always predictable: slow on inner lane, fast on outside lane.
>
> This philosophy may be summed up as "live and let live."
>
> The problem is those who sit on the passing lane holding everybody back. The road requires cooperation, not extreme competition.

Really not even "cooperation", just obey the laws and rules KRETP cures it.

Harry K
Old November 28th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

On Friday, November 28, 2014 11:58:33 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
> On Friday, November 28, 2014 7:16:56 AM UTC-8, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
> > On Friday, November 28, 2014 8:40:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> > > Wise Tibetan Monkey wrote: "That's exactly what we've got on the roads: PURE ANARCHY. Everybody trying to get ahead of everybody, anything goes, the mighty rule...
> > > It shows how impossible that system is. "
> > >
> > > I'm not trying to get ahead here, just trying to drive responsibly and uphold what has worked. If you have folks trying to pass in all lanes you don't have a highway - you have a RACE TRACK.
> > >
> > > No thanks...

> > I'm talking in general. A well managed road should have place for the slow and the fast, just different lanes, always predictable: slow on inner lane, fast on outside lane.
> >
> > This philosophy may be summed up as "live and let live."
> >
> > The problem is those who sit on the passing lane holding everybody back. The road requires cooperation, not extreme competition.

> Really not even "cooperation", just obey the laws and rules KRETP cures it.
>
> Harry K

Just a small comment. The word "cooperation" implies more than it's stated in the traffic codes, irrelevant of enforcement. It means seeing yourself as part of a whole or caring for the other driver. An ant colony couldn't work without it.

And yet the German road system is highly competitive as well. Better skills, better car, determines who's fittest.
Old November 30th 14, 11:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:25:13 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
Humble Philosopher" > wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:31:06 AM UTC-5, Dave Head wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 01:30:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>>
>> >Arif Khokar wrote: "(I wish this newsgroup was a bit more active ...) "
>> >
>> >It is very active Arif - just look at the percentage of posts by sexual perverts and self-proclaimed political pundits(Bev). You can blame things like Facebook & Twitter for the rest of Usenet's demise.
>> >

>> >Back on topic: I think more of us need to make a conscious effort to drive in the right-hand-most lanes of our highways, forcing passers to pass where it is legal to.
>> >
>> >That might require leaving an extra 5-10 min early for work, but it would drive the point home for those think they can pass in any lane they choose(including breakdown/shoulders!).

>> Its completely legal to pass on the right on interstates most places.
>> That law was repealed in the late 60's or early 70's. That's why no
>> cops are writing tickets over it.

>It was repealed when they realized the idiots couldn't tell right from left.

It was repealed when the boneheads all queued up in the left lane and
drove under the speed limit anyway. If I'm on a trip, and aim to be
in Texas the same night after leaving from Virginia, and you're poking
along in the left lane, I'm gonna blow your doors off so bad in the
right lane that you won't even be able to tell the color of my license
plate.
Old November 30th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
None

<"Monkey ****er"> wrote in message news:d9db5bb1-2135-442f-9396
> It was repealed when they realized the idiots couldn't tell right
> from left.

Kman is one of those idiots.

Old December 1st 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Wise TibeteanMonkey wrote: "Sorry, I think that's the definition of a terrorist. "

Or, that of a pompous asshole.
Old December 1st 14, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Monday, December 1, 2014 12:00:44 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
> On Monday, December 1, 2014 9:32:58 AM UTC-5, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
> > "Why doesn't the U.S. have freeways, like the German Autobahn, with no general speed limit?"
> >

> Why not? Because the result would be carnage.
>
> I've driven in both countries. Germans are much better drivers on average, and more responsible.

There would be a solution: Issue a special license to drivers who undergo training (not the regular "license to kill") so they can go full blast. Stick shift, please!

And clear the idiots from the passing lane.
Old December 1st 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 6:49:54 AM UTC-5, Dave Head wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:25:13 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
> Humble Philosopher" > wrote:

> >> Its completely legal to pass on the right on interstates most places.
> >> That law was repealed in the late 60's or early 70's. That's why no
> >> cops are writing tickets over it.

> >It was repealed when they realized the idiots couldn't tell right from left.

> It was repealed when the boneheads all queued up in the left lane and
> drove under the speed limit anyway. If I'm on a trip, and aim to be
> in Texas the same night after leaving from Virginia, and you're poking
> along in the left lane, I'm gonna blow your doors off so bad in the
> right lane that you won't even be able to tell the color of my license
> plate.

I have a general theory: Idiots sit in the fast lane because other idiots sit in the fast lane.