I was found guilty of cellphone gps use in CA and now they overturned the law

Old March 31st 14, 10:31 PM posted to misc.legal,rec.autos.driving,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Arif Khokar

Default I was found guilty of cellphone gps use in CA and now they overturnedthe law

On 02/28/2014 09:25 AM, richard wrote:

> Too bad.
> Let's say you got a ticket last month for doing 65 in a 55mph zone.
> Today, the speed limit is changed to 65.
> Can you get your money back from the citation?
> Nope.

Close to fifteen years ago, I received a speeding ticket for going 64
mph in a 55 mph zone and the speed limit was changed to 65 mph at that
location roughly a month after I received a citation.

That was the event that lead me to join the NMA, and fight every traffic
citation I've received since and educate myself on pretty much all
topics related to speed limits, the criteria used to set them, and other
traffic engineering topics (a lot of which I learned while lurking and
subsequently posting to this newsgroup).

Also, FYI, I got that particular citation dismissed (mainly due to the
fact that the case didn't go to trial until just over a year after I was
cited and the prosecutor decided not to proceed with the case).
Old March 31st 14, 11:23 PM posted to misc.legal,rec.autos.driving,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
aprufrok

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:31:47 -0400, Arif Khokar >

> Close to fifteen years ago, I received a speeding ticket .........
> I got that particular citation dismissed (mainly due to the
> fact that the case didn't go to trial until just over a year after I was
> cited and the prosecutor decided not to proceed with the case) .........

......... thus illustrating Rule No. 1 in the Great Book of How To
Fight A Traffic Citation: Adjourn, adjourn, and adjourn again, then
delay some more, then succeed in obtaining still more adjournments and
so on, and on, and on, ......... until the citations issuing officer
retires or dies and the court grants a nol pros motion, a dismissal
for failure to prosecute.

Old April 1st 14, 04:32 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.autos.driving,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-03-31, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> On 02/28/2014 09:25 AM, richard wrote:
>
>> Too bad.
>> Let's say you got a ticket last month for doing 65 in a 55mph zone.
>> Today, the speed limit is changed to 65.
>> Can you get your money back from the citation?
>> Nope.

> Close to fifteen years ago, I received a speeding ticket for going 64
> mph in a 55 mph zone and the speed limit was changed to 65 mph at that
> location roughly a month after I received a citation.
>
> That was the event that lead me to join the NMA, and fight every traffic
> citation I've received since and educate myself on pretty much all
> topics related to speed limits, the criteria used to set them, and other
> traffic engineering topics (a lot of which I learned while lurking and
> subsequently posting to this newsgroup).
>
> Also, FYI, I got that particular citation dismissed (mainly due to the
> fact that the case didn't go to trial until just over a year after I was
> cited and the prosecutor decided not to proceed with the case).

I let my membership lapse when I found their resources well lacking for
where I live. After reviewing them I realized I was still on my own or
needed to pay a traffic lawyer.

Old April 2nd 14, 05:59 AM posted to misc.legal,rec.autos.driving,alt.satellite.gps.garmin
Arif Khokar

On 03/31/2014 11:32 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2014-03-31, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>> Close to fifteen years ago, I received a speeding ticket for going 64
>> mph in a 55 mph zone and the speed limit was changed to 65 mph at that
>> location roughly a month after I received a citation.
>>
>> That was the event that lead me to join the NMA, and fight every traffic
>> citation I've received since and educate myself on pretty much all
>> topics related to speed limits, the criteria used to set them, and other
>> traffic engineering topics (a lot of which I learned while lurking and
>> subsequently posting to this newsgroup).
>>
>> Also, FYI, I got that particular citation dismissed (mainly due to the
>> fact that the case didn't go to trial until just over a year after I was
>> cited and the prosecutor decided not to proceed with the case).

> I let my membership lapse when I found their resources well lacking for
> where I live. After reviewing them I realized I was still on my own or
> needed to pay a traffic lawyer.

I think they were a bit better off back when I joined. I also let my
membership lapse several years ago, though I still receive email
newsletters from them. I think given my experience, I probably wouldn't
learn much more in terms of fighting a traffic citation from them.
Though, if I ever moved to a different state, I may look into them again
given the differences in laws from state to state.