Family Survives High-Speed Crash Caused by Hogs

Old March 31st 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Family Survives High-Speed Crash Caused by Hogs

On 03/31/2013 10:48 AM, gpsman wrote:
> On Mar 31, 8:48 am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>
>> Often when I dim my lights for an oncoming
>> car but I don't have to slow much if at all because the oncoming car's
>> headlights are illuminating the road past where I can see well by the
>> light of my own low beams.

> Your glare sensitivity and the unconscionable glare from US spec
> headlights seems to have suddenly vanished.
>
> How do you explain that...?
> -----
>
> - gpsman

As usual, you post non sequiturs. Did you have a point?

US-spec headlights *are* garbage, some much worse than others, but
that's irrelevant to what we were discussing. And yes, for some people
it is more of a problem than others due to physiological differences.
Again irrelevant to what we were discussion. Life would certainly be
better if everyone used E-code headlights, but again, it's irrelevant.

Do you have to jump into every thread and post complete nonsense to see
yourself type?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 31st 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Mar 31, 11:15*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 10:48 AM, gpsman wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 8:48 am, Nate Nagel > wrote:

> >> Often when I dim my lights for an oncoming
> >> car but I don't have to slow much if at all because the oncoming car's
> >> headlights are illuminating the road past where I can see well by the
> >> light of my own low beams.

> > Your glare sensitivity and the unconscionable glare from US spec
> > headlights seems to have suddenly vanished.

> > How do you explain that...?

> As usual, you post non sequiturs.

You on some new kind of crack, son? I'm pointing out your non
sequitur.

> Did you have a point?

Yes. You have previously reported many times you are glare sensitive,
and that US spec headlights allow too much glare.

Here you report those same oncoming lights extend your visual
perception. That's a non sequitur, of the glaring variety.

> US-spec headlights *are* garbage, some much worse than others, but
> that's irrelevant to what we were discussing.

Looks like you didn't consider "headlights" irrelevant until I pointed
out your non sequitur:
From: Nate Nagel >
Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 08:48:54 -0400

<q>Often when I dim my lights for an oncoming car but I don't have to
slow much if at all because the oncoming car's headlights are
illuminating the road...</q>

We needn't delve into "illuminating the road" as "adequate
illumination" while the rest of the motoring world finds oncoming
headlights to be detrimental to nighttime visual perception.

> And yes, for some people
> it is more of a problem than others due to physiological differences.
> Again irrelevant to what we were discussion.

It's relevant to what we're discussing now.

> Life would certainly be
> better if everyone used E-code headlights, but again, it's irrelevant.

"Better", huh? That is a fascinating analysis.

> Do you have to jump into every thread and post complete nonsense to see
> yourself type?

It was a simple question to which you could have typed an answer:
<q>Your glare sensitivity and the unconscionable glare from US spec
headlights seems to have suddenly vanished.

How do you explain that...?<q>
-----

- gpsman
Old April 1st 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:15:16 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 03/31/2013 10:48 AM, gpsman wrote:
>> On Mar 31, 8:48 am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>>
>>> Often when I dim my lights for an oncoming
>>> car but I don't have to slow much if at all because the oncoming car's
>>> headlights are illuminating the road past where I can see well by the
>>> light of my own low beams.

>> Your glare sensitivity and the unconscionable glare from US spec
>> headlights seems to have suddenly vanished.
>>
>> How do you explain that...?
>> -----
>>
>> - gpsman
>>

>As usual, you post non sequiturs. Did you have a point?
>
>US-spec headlights *are* garbage,

To be fair, while the spec might be terrible it doesn't mean it always
produces terrible lights. It is possible to produce decent light
patterns that meet (and exceed without violating) the spec. I've
noted huge differences on various cars, all of which *meet* the same
lousy spec.

Old April 2nd 13, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
T0m $herman

On 3/31/2013 8:51 AM, Harry K wrote:
> One of my best cruises was a night portion E/R PNW to South Texas. No
> traffic to speak of and a full moon.

Last time I saw a "full moon" while driving, I was behind a school bus.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old April 2nd 13, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 04/01/2013 05:25 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:15:16 -0400, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:

>>> Your glare sensitivity and the unconscionable glare from US spec
>>> headlights seems to have suddenly vanished.
>>>
>>> How do you explain that...?
>>> -----
>>>
>>> - gpsman
>>>

>> As usual, you post non sequiturs. Did you have a point?
>>
>> US-spec headlights *are* garbage,

> To be fair, while the spec might be terrible it doesn't mean it always
> produces terrible lights. It is possible to produce decent light
> patterns that meet (and exceed without violating) the spec. I've
> noted huge differences on various cars, all of which *meet* the same
> lousy spec.

Quite true.

However, since the proliferation of vehicle-specific headlamps, which
need to be designed for each vehicle, it seems like less time is spent
on making them *good* and just enough is spent to have them meet the
spec. Some very popular vehicles seem to have spectacularly bad lights,
e.g. Ford trucks. Some VW models had really bad headlights as well
(although some were really good) perhaps the Germans were punishing us
for not getting with the program?

nate