headlight lens

Old December 18th 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael[_19_]

Default headlight lens

Honda wants about $100 to polish/restore the headlight lenses on my
2000 Accord. I find kits ranging in price from $10-$40. Are they
all the same? Any recommendations as to which is good/bad? TIA.
Old December 18th 12, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

I got a kit at Harbor Freight on special sale for less than $10, as I
recall. I procrastinated a LONG time before doing it but once I did it
restored the lenses on both my '99 Hyundai Electra and my wife's SUV so
that they look great. Biggest thing is to take your time and, on the
final coating don't fall for the temptation to go back over it like you
would painting. That makes it streaky. The '99 Elentra's lenses were
badly yellowed and looked more like a frosted light before I started but
now look as clear as if I'd bought new lenses.

Good luck!

Old December 18th 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

On 12/18/2012 8:05 AM, KWW wrote:
> I got a kit at Harbor Freight on special sale for less than $10, as I
> recall. I procrastinated a LONG time before doing it but once I did it
> restored the lenses on both my '99 Hyundai Electra and my wife's SUV so
> that they look great. Biggest thing is to take your time and, on the
> final coating don't fall for the temptation to go back over it like you
> would painting. That makes it streaky. The '99 Elentra's lenses were
> badly yellowed and looked more like a frosted light before I started but
> now look as clear as if I'd bought new lenses.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On 12/17/2012 8:28 PM, Michael wrote:
>> Honda wants about $100 to polish/restore the headlight lenses on my
>> 2000 Accord. I find kits ranging in price from $10-$40. Are they
>> all the same? Any recommendations as to which is good/bad? TIA.
>>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Brand was Klear Lites, provided by Lane's Professional Car Care Products
www.lanescarproducts.com They show it for $14.99.

Old December 18th 12, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Douglas C. Neidermeyer[_4_]

On 12/18/12 9:05 AM, KWW wrote:
> I got a kit at Harbor Freight on special sale for less than $10, as I
> recall. I procrastinated a LONG time before doing it but once I did it
> restored the lenses on both my '99 Hyundai Electra and my wife's SUV so
> that they look great. Biggest thing is to take your time and, on the
> final coating don't fall for the temptation to go back over it like you
> would painting. That makes it streaky. The '99 Elentra's lenses were
> badly yellowed and looked more like a frosted light before I started but
> now look as clear as if I'd bought new lenses.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On 12/17/2012 8:28 PM, Michael wrote:
>> Honda wants about $100 to polish/restore the headlight lenses on my
>> 2000 Accord. I find kits ranging in price from $10-$40. Are they
>> all the same? Any recommendations as to which is good/bad? TIA.
>>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I wonder how long the new finish lasts. When did you do yours?

--
We have a spending problem, not a failure to raise taxes problem.
--Grover Norquist
Old December 21st 12, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

On 12/18/2012 12:06 PM, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
> On 12/18/12 9:05 AM, KWW wrote:
>> I got a kit at Harbor Freight on special sale for less than $10, as I
>> recall. I procrastinated a LONG time before doing it but once I did it
>> restored the lenses on both my '99 Hyundai Electra and my wife's SUV so
>> that they look great. Biggest thing is to take your time and, on the
>> final coating don't fall for the temptation to go back over it like you
>> would painting. That makes it streaky. The '99 Elentra's lenses were
>> badly yellowed and looked more like a frosted light before I started but
>> now look as clear as if I'd bought new lenses.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> On 12/17/2012 8:28 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> Honda wants about $100 to polish/restore the headlight lenses on my
>>> 2000 Accord. I find kits ranging in price from $10-$40. Are they
>>> all the same? Any recommendations as to which is good/bad? TIA.
>>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

> I wonder how long the new finish lasts. When did you do yours?

I did it over a month ago and it is fine thus far. The '99 Elentra was
as bad as they come for yellowing & frostiness.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Old December 21st 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/18/2012 10:06 AM, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:
> On 12/18/12 9:05 AM, KWW wrote:
>> I got a kit at Harbor Freight on special sale for less than $10, as I
>> recall. I procrastinated a LONG time before doing it but once I did it
>> restored the lenses on both my '99 Hyundai Electra and my wife's SUV so
>> that they look great. Biggest thing is to take your time and, on the
>> final coating don't fall for the temptation to go back over it like you
>> would painting. That makes it streaky. The '99 Elentra's lenses were
>> badly yellowed and looked more like a frosted light before I started but
>> now look as clear as if I'd bought new lenses.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> On 12/17/2012 8:28 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> Honda wants about $100 to polish/restore the headlight lenses on my
>>> 2000 Accord. I find kits ranging in price from $10-$40. Are they
>>> all the same? Any recommendations as to which is good/bad? TIA.
>>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

> I wonder how long the new finish lasts. When did you do yours?

has anyone ever bothered to ask themselves why it is that these lenses
deteriorate? we had cars with side light and turn signal lenses that
didn't suffer these problems for 2 or 3 decades. now we can't have a
light lens that doesn't start to cloud in just 5 years. it's not like
the polymer guys don't know about successful u.v. protection.

--
fact check required
Old December 21st 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_2_]

Weren't the old lenses glass, with plastic being reserved for the
colored lights (red, yellow, and frosted white)? Used to be in the US
that one could not have a cover over the sealed beam headlight, I
believe. Of course about 30 years ago part of the yearly inspection
included making sure that the headlights were aimed properly and that
they were not over the legal limit for candle power. Wish they'd
re-institute that part of inspection. Some headlights these days are
blinding.

Old December 26th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
QuestionQuigley

For many years, well into the 1960's, VW had both integral glass lenses
and a glass covering lens. Jaguar also had something similar on the XKE.
Pretty much all headlamps through the 1980's were the integrated glass
design, either rectangular or round. I had a 1984 Audi 4000S coupe
(only one I ever saw in the US) with four small rectangular integrated
glass lenses. Over 18 years I believe I replaced only one of them and
the glass never pitted or frosted.

The push for aerodynamics and flexibility of design, as well as
regulation, has resulted in the plastic lenses of today. They are costly
and a pain to replace. For many vehicles replacing a bulb is an arduous
task, often requiring the removal of many parts and trim.

Old December 27th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww1491

"QuestionQuigley" wrote in message ...

For many years, well into the 1960's, VW had both integral glass lenses
and a glass covering lens. Jaguar also had something similar on the XKE.
Pretty much all headlamps through the 1980's were the integrated glass
design, either rectangular or round. I had a 1984 Audi 4000S coupe
(only one I ever saw in the US) with four small rectangular integrated
glass lenses. Over 18 years I believe I replaced only one of them and
the glass never pitted or frosted.

Never had a problem with the headlamps on the XKE I had back in the mid 60s,
but the sealed beams were terrible back then and the glass covers did not
help.

Old January 4th 13, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/26/2012 08:04 AM, QuestionQuigley wrote:

> For many years, well into the 1960's, VW had both integral glass lenses
> and a glass covering lens. Jaguar also had something similar on the XKE.
> Pretty much all headlamps through the 1980's were the integrated glass
> design, either rectangular or round. I had a 1984 Audi 4000S coupe (only
> one I ever saw in the US) with four small rectangular integrated glass
> lenses. Over 18 years I believe I replaced only one of them and the
> glass never pitted or frosted.
>
> The push for aerodynamics and flexibility of design, as well as
> regulation, has resulted in the plastic lenses of today.

aerodynamics and flexibility of design have absolutely nothing to do
with it. casting glass lenses is easy, cheap, and can be done to
practically any shape. plastic lenses are 100% regulation. end of
story. go to europe and you'll see that models available both sides of
the pond [vw, merc, audi, porsche] have glass lenses for the euro market
and plastic for here. absolutely ridiculous.