Reduced MPG on 2000 Accord EX V6

Old June 24th 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Slim

Default Reduced MPG on 2000 Accord EX V6

I have a 2000 Honda Accord with ~200k miles and I've noticed lower gas milage the last few months. It would be great to get some ideas on what could be happening from this forum. I am seeing about 19 mpg with 30% highway and 70% city driving.

The EPA estimates the car should get 26 highway / 21 city. From 2002 to 2006, I kept very meticulous records and I averaged 22mpg for those years very consistently. My driving at the time was about 70% highway and 30% city. Not great but expected.

Last summer I noticed the gas milage goto 16 mpg. I has the spark plugs replaced and a coil and the car seemed to be working fine where I was getting 25 mpg highway.

Since, last fall something has occurred where I am not getting about 19 mpg hybrid again. I'm a bit puzzled as to why. Some history.
1. Spark plus and one coil replaced at 190k
2. Timing belt replaced at 110k, so wearing but should still be good for another 10k miles or so.
3. Air filter replaced at 150k. Overdue for replacement but I read that with fuel injection this should not cause a big hit to MPG. Have ordered the parts for replacement.
4. The EGR kit was done around 150k.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should look at when trying to debug this reduced milage issue?

Thanks,
Are there
Old June 24th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

My bet would be on the oxygen sensors at that age and mileage. They can
go bad over time without throwing a code, IMHO.

Are there any codes?

My 0.02.

dan

Old July 26th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Cheah[_2_]

> Can anyone suggest anything else I should look at when trying to debug this reduced milage issue?

Chk brake pads' binding of discs : if calipers & brake pads' seats & pads' contact area with seats are cleaned & lubricated ( with synthetic oil / grease, preferably has fullerene ), so pads when idle can slide away from discs, discs will turn more freely. This should be in service*schedule, but I've not seen this in any car's *.
Chk wheel alignment : for Front Wheel Drive cars, set all toe-in to zero. My '90 accord rear wheels were factory-set to toe-in, really stupid.
Put nitrogen in tyres, @ higher pressure than prescribed, even wear indicates correct pressure.

Approximate mpg for 2000 Accord 2.0 [email protected] Honda 0 June 6th 06 09:05 AM
what's your 2005 Accord V6 MPG? harry Honda 13 September 30th 05 06:24 PM
New Accord V-6 Hybrid 38 mpg and it is quick. Bobby Fischler Honda 24 January 6th 05 05:32 AM
2002 Accord V6 only 12 mpg Red98 Honda 9 November 14th 04 05:33 AM
2005 Diesel Accord .... 92 mpg! Mathu Honda 3 October 24th 04 01:24 PM