multiple factory service manuals?

Old September 14th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Cox Newsgroups

Default multiple factory service manuals?

Would anyone know what is contained in the different types of factory
service manuals?

I'm searching for a OEM Factory Service Manual for a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron
GTC Convertible. EBay lists at least 2 types of OEM manuals for this
vehicle.
1. 1994 SERVICE MANUAL= LeBaron, Sprint, Acclaim, Shadow, Sundance
2. 1993-1994 BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES = Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron
I'm kind of confused now. I was under the impression there was a single
manual that contained all the documents to service/repair the specific year
and type vehicle.

I inherited this Convertible (for my 16 year old son) after my mother-in-law
passed away and quickly learned about the rear 1/4 window problems. I've
never owned a Chrysler before but the windows were pretty easy to fix thanks
to this newsgroup advice...
THANKS!!!

Old September 14th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

On Sep 13, 4:24�pm, "Cox Newsgroups" > wrote:
> Would anyone know what is contained in the different types of factory
> service manuals?
>
> I'm searching for a OEM Factory Service Manual for a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron
> GTC Convertible. EBay lists at least 2 types of OEM manuals for this
> vehicle.
> 1. 1994 SERVICE MANUAL= LeBaron, Sprint, Acclaim, Shadow, Sundance
> 2. 1993-1994 BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES = Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron
> I'm kind of confused now. I was under the impression there was a single
> manual that contained all the documents to service/repair the specific year
> and type vehicle.
>
> I inherited this Convertible (for my 16 year old son) after my mother-in-law
> passed away and quickly learned about the rear 1/4 window problems. I've
> never owned a Chrysler before but the windows were pretty easy to fix thanks
> to this newsgroup advice...
> THANKS!!!

Cox

Multiple manuals are not really that uncommn. This has been the case
for all the Chrysler cars/products that I have owned in the last
several decades. In your case it might be best to be glad you can
still get the information.

Bob AZ
Old September 14th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Cox Newsgroups wrote:
> Would anyone know what is contained in the different types of factory
> service manuals?
>
> I'm searching for a OEM Factory Service Manual for a 1994 Chrysler
> LeBaron GTC Convertible. EBay lists at least 2 types of OEM manuals for
> this vehicle.
> 1. 1994 SERVICE MANUAL= LeBaron, Sprint, Acclaim, Shadow, Sundance
> 2. 1993-1994 BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES = Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron
> I'm kind of confused now. I was under the impression there was a single
> manual that contained all the documents to service/repair the specific
> year and type vehicle.
>
> I inherited this Convertible (for my 16 year old son) after my
> mother-in-law passed away and quickly learned about the rear 1/4 window
> problems. I've never owned a Chrysler before but the windows were pretty
> easy to fix thanks to this newsgroup advice...
> THANKS!!!

If you're a DIY'er, you probably want the Factory Service Manual (FSM) -
most people find that *the* most useful of the factory books. It has
specs., descriptions, electrical schematics, and detailed maintenance
procedures (some are written better than others - Chrysler FSM's are
better than most). The diagnostic manual, although it can be useful,
has flow charts on diagnosing problems, most of which can be done with
common sense troubleshooting skills and the electrical schematics in the
FSM.

You may or may not already know this, but just make sure that what
you're getting is the *factory* book and not an aftermarket wannabe
(Haynes, Chiltons, etc.).

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 14th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

What ever happened to Glenn Beasley (Maxpower) ??

He usually would answer questions like this.

His last post (according to google) was Oct 23 / 2008 in
alt.autos.dodge.

Has it been that long since he's posted here?
Old September 14th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AVHarry

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Cox Newsgroups wrote:
>> Would anyone know what is contained in the different types of factory
>> service manuals?
>>
>> I'm searching for a OEM Factory Service Manual for a 1994 Chrysler
>> LeBaron GTC Convertible. EBay lists at least 2 types of OEM manuals for
>> this vehicle.
>> 1. 1994 SERVICE MANUAL= LeBaron, Sprint, Acclaim, Shadow, Sundance
>> 2. 1993-1994 BODY DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES = Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron
>> I'm kind of confused now. I was under the impression there was a single
>> manual that contained all the documents to service/repair the specific
>> year and type vehicle.
>>
>> I inherited this Convertible (for my 16 year old son) after my
>> mother-in-law passed away and quickly learned about the rear 1/4 window
>> problems. I've never owned a Chrysler before but the windows were pretty
>> easy to fix thanks to this newsgroup advice...
>> THANKS!!!

> If you're a DIY'er, you probably want the Factory Service Manual (FSM) -
> most people find that *the* most useful of the factory books. It has
> specs., descriptions, electrical schematics, and detailed maintenance
> procedures (some are written better than others - Chrysler FSM's are
> better than most). The diagnostic manual, although it can be useful, has
> flow charts on diagnosing problems, most of which can be done with common
> sense troubleshooting skills and the electrical schematics in the FSM.
>
> You may or may not already know this, but just make sure that what you're
> getting is the *factory* book and not an aftermarket wannabe (Haynes,
> Chiltons, etc.).
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')

Thanks again.
I'm pretty sure both manuals offered are Not Haynes, Chilton's, etc...
(picture shown is Chrysler manual)
I have used those type manuals in my younger years, but always found them to
be very generic.

Next on the Honey Do for this car is a timing belt.
With 98K miles on the original belt I'm scared to even start up the
engine...

By the way, I'm fairly new to posting in newsgroups and was asked to change
my user name & email address to protect against spam. Hopefully I've
accomplished that change in this posting...

-Harry Abels
(to reply by e-mail, reverse the first two letters in my address)

Old September 14th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

AVHarry wrote:

> ...Next on the Honey Do for this car is a timing belt...

That's the type of thing I assumed you were wanting the manual for.
Definitely go with the FSM for that type of thing.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 16th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
William R. Walsh

Hi!

There are two manuals, each one covering different subjects. The ones I have
for my '84 Reliant cover Electrical and Engine Performance (one book) and
all body stuff is in the other book.

It's worthwhile to have both of them. I've found them to be very good
resources. Would like to find a set for the '88 Reliant "project wagon".

William

Old September 16th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article >,
"AVHarry" > wrote:

> >> I'm searching for a OEM Factory Service Manual for a 1994 Chrysler
> >> LeBaron GTC Convertible. EBay lists at least 2 types of OEM manuals for
> >> this vehicle.

I recently bought a FSM (well I believe it is a Chrysler manual) for my
2004 Chrysler 300M at eBay on a CDrom.
Very economical and minimum storage required.
Old September 16th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"William R. Walsh" m>
writes:

> There are two manuals, each one covering different subjects. The ones I have
> for my '84 Reliant cover Electrical and Engine Performance (one book) and
> all body stuff is in the other book.
>
> It's worthwhile to have both of them. I've found them to be very good
> resources. Would like to find a set for the '88 Reliant "project wagon".

You're talking about a single manual, in multiple volumes. The OP was
talking about a FSM, and one of the other, more specialized references
Chrysler put out. So, for instances, I have the FSM for my '78 Newport,
which is in two volumes (in '78 they were Electrical and Everything
Else), and I also have the '78 Emissions Manual and the '78 Parts
catalog.

Somebody else mentioned getting the manual on CD -- absolutely the only
way to go, if available for your car. Print the pages you need for the
procedure you're going to perform, put them in a 3-ring binder, throw
them away afterwards. No 30 year old paper manuals held together by
duct tape...
Old September 16th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AVHarry

"Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> "William R. Walsh" m>
> writes:
>>
>> There are two manuals, each one covering different subjects. The ones I
>> have
>> for my '84 Reliant cover Electrical and Engine Performance (one book) and
>> all body stuff is in the other book.
>>
>> It's worthwhile to have both of them. I've found them to be very good
>> resources. Would like to find a set for the '88 Reliant "project wagon".

> You're talking about a single manual, in multiple volumes. The OP was
> talking about a FSM, and one of the other, more specialized references
> Chrysler put out. So, for instances, I have the FSM for my '78 Newport,
> which is in two volumes (in '78 they were Electrical and Everything
> Else), and I also have the '78 Emissions Manual and the '78 Parts
> catalog.
>
> Somebody else mentioned getting the manual on CD -- absolutely the only
> way to go, if available for your car. Print the pages you need for the
> procedure you're going to perform, put them in a 3-ring binder, throw
> them away afterwards. No 30 year old paper manuals held together by
> duct tape...
> --
> As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
> be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
> and this we should do freely and generously. (Benjamin Franklin)

THANKS to all for helping answer my questions about Chrysler factory
manuals.

I ultimately found and bought a "lot" of 6 Chrysler factory manuals on EBay
for about the same price as the factory service manual alone.
The lot included:
Factory Service Manual for 94' LeBaron (etc.)
Body Diagnostic Manual for 93-94' LeBaron (etc.)
Body Diagnostic Manual for Airbag System on 94' LeBaron (etc.)
Body Diagnostic Manual for 93-9?' Spirit & Acclaim
Body Diagnostic Manual for Airbag system on 93-9?' Spirit & Acclaim
93-94' Power train Diagnostic Procedures Manual for 2.2L/2.5L TBI and 2.5
SFI engines

I'll have to check them when they arrive, but it looks like the last 3 books
won't be of use to me personally.
Do you know of anyone willing to swap those last 3 books for a Power train
Diagnostic Manual of the 3.0L engine used in my 94' LeBaron Convertible?