49 Chrysler with no compression

Old August 5th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Default 49 Chrysler with no compression

On Aug 5, 1:28 am, "Joe" > wrote:

> I always wanted to drive one of those cars. Sounds interesting.

i got to ride in it one time, when i was five. what a great time!

I am just dying to get the thing running already, but i have been so
busy and haven't had time to do much to it..

BTW - update.. I removed the thermostat housing, as i said in an
earlier post. So I filled the water jacket with water again and stuck
my coffee-cup heating element in there... cranked the car after
heating the water jacket to 140 and sprayed a little ether in there
while cranking... *POOF* it backfired through the carb.. probably
hosed it up with my luck!

Old August 5th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Hey, I forgot to show you guys the car...

Here's what it looked like after a preliminary washing..

http://a811.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...0bcc25d08a.jpg

Old August 5th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve B.

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:20:12 -0700, Nza > wrote:

>Hey, I forgot to show you guys the car...
>
>Here's what it looked like after a preliminary washing..
>
>http://a811.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...0bcc25d08a.jpg

VERY COOL. You will have a lot of fun getting it back on the road
again.

Steve B.
Old August 6th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Nza wrote:

> Hey, I forgot to show you guys the car...
>
> Here's what it looked like after a preliminary washing..
>
> http://a811.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...0bcc25d08a.jpg

WOW! That's definitely a keeper, even if you have to start from scratch
on the engine. FWIW, all the wear parts for Chrysler flatheads are still
readily available. Not as common as big-block V8s, but available.

Old August 6th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 19:20:12 UTC, Nza > wrote:

> Hey, I forgot to show you guys the car...
>
> Here's what it looked like after a preliminary washing..
>
> http://a811.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...0bcc25d08a.jpg

Is that the coupe? Which model: Royal, Windsor/Deluxe?
Mine is the 4 door sedan, Windsor. My 40 Royal is the coupe version.
Looks like the chrome is in good shape and you have the hard to find
chrome side spears. Also, the tail lamp housings/lenses are hard to
find for this year car. They were only produced from about March 49
to September, known as the second series 49's, the first series were
carryovers on the 46-48's.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old August 7th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Aug 6, 3:09 pm, > wrote:

> Is that the coupe? Which model: Royal, Windsor/Deluxe?
> Mine is the 4 door sedan, Windsor. My 40 Royal is the coupe version.
> Looks like the chrome is in good shape and you have the hard to find
> chrome side spears. Also, the tail lamp housings/lenses are hard to
> find for this year car. They were only produced from about March 49
> to September, known as the second series 49's, the first series were
> carryovers on the 46-48's.

It's a Royal Coupe. I will take some more pictures of the car later
when it is not 100 degrees and 110 percent humidity outside..
argh.. damn that global warming... LOL ... I have an idea -- we
should change the season name from "summer" to "global warming"....
aahhahahha

Mostly the chrome is in good shape. A couple of pieces are dinged/
dented from "road hazards" in the past, i imagine.. One of the rear
bumper overriders is pretty well toasted. The taillights are
intact, but show some cracking internally.. I was afraid of hearing
what you said -- the taillights are hard if not impossible to find..
The only broken lens is the one on the top of where the chrome on the
back of the trunk says "Fluid Drive". I guess it is the license
plate light.

The trunk is a little rusty and that band around the back under the
trunk is pretty well rusted as well. It looks like someone used
lead foil (was there such a thing?) to temporarily fix that part..
The door sills are rusted and there's a nice hole right above the
master cylinder. Other than that.. when I go to remove what I think
is rust on the bottom of the car, it turns out to be some heavy
undercoating... or some 45 year old georgia red clay... i'm really
amazed at the structure of this thing.. if it were built today, I
believe it would be a terrifically expensive piece of machinery what
with all the extra gusseting that today is considered "overkill".

The cowl vent leaks... not a whole lot, but i found out when i washed
it, it does indeed leak .. can't wait to use that 55 mph A/C ... LOL

Just got the generic wiring harness today in the mail.. woohoo!
Can't wait to see how difficult it's going to be to install.. I think
I'm going to have to re-use a majority of the old connectors... lots
of soldering..

Old August 7th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 23:42:36 UTC, Nza > wrote:

> On Aug 6, 3:09 pm, > wrote:
> >
> > Is that the coupe? Which model: Royal, Windsor/Deluxe?
> > Mine is the 4 door sedan, Windsor. My 40 Royal is the coupe version.
> > Looks like the chrome is in good shape and you have the hard to find
> > chrome side spears. Also, the tail lamp housings/lenses are hard to
> > find for this year car. They were only produced from about March 49
> > to September, known as the second series 49's, the first series were
> > carryovers on the 46-48's.
> >

> It's a Royal Coupe. I will take some more pictures of the car later
> when it is not 100 degrees and 110 percent humidity outside..
> argh.. damn that global warming... LOL ... I have an idea -- we
> should change the season name from "summer" to "global warming"....
> aahhahahha
>
> Mostly the chrome is in good shape. A couple of pieces are dinged/
> dented from "road hazards" in the past, i imagine.. One of the rear
> bumper overriders is pretty well toasted. The taillights are
> intact, but show some cracking internally.. I was afraid of hearing
> what you said -- the taillights are hard if not impossible to find..
> The only broken lens is the one on the top of where the chrome on the
> back of the trunk says "Fluid Drive". I guess it is the license
> plate light.
>
> The trunk is a little rusty and that band around the back under the
> trunk is pretty well rusted as well. It looks like someone used
> lead foil (was there such a thing?) to temporarily fix that part..
> The door sills are rusted and there's a nice hole right above the
> master cylinder. Other than that.. when I go to remove what I think
> is rust on the bottom of the car, it turns out to be some heavy
> undercoating... or some 45 year old georgia red clay... i'm really
> amazed at the structure of this thing.. if it were built today, I
> believe it would be a terrifically expensive piece of machinery what
> with all the extra gusseting that today is considered "overkill".
>
> The cowl vent leaks... not a whole lot, but i found out when i washed
> it, it does indeed leak .. can't wait to use that 55 mph A/C ... LOL
>
> Just got the generic wiring harness today in the mail.. woohoo!
> Can't wait to see how difficult it's going to be to install.. I think
> I'm going to have to re-use a majority of the old connectors... lots
> of soldering..

Look at Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts. Great source for all old Chrysler
parts. The cowl vent is no problem, as are complete gasket sets,
door/window handles, lenses, check it out.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old August 7th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Aug 6, 10:31 pm, >
wrote:

> Look at Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts. Great source for all old Chrysler
> parts. The cowl vent is no problem, as are complete gasket sets,
> door/window handles, lenses, check it out.

excellent site! Thanks!

Old August 7th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Nza wrote:

> The cowl vent leaks... not a whole lot, but i found out when i washed
> it, it does indeed leak ..

They usually do. You can adjust them to clamp closed a bit tighter, but
unless the rubber seal is in good shape it'll leak a tad.

> can't wait to use that 55 mph A/C ... LOL

Warn your date you're about to open it if she's wearing a skirt. Or
don't.... ;-p

Old August 7th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Aug 7, 10:22 am, Steve > wrote:
> Nza wrote:
> > The cowl vent leaks... not a whole lot, but i found out when i washed
> > it, it does indeed leak ..

> They usually do. You can adjust them to clamp closed a bit tighter, but
> unless the rubber seal is in good shape it'll leak a tad.
>
> > can't wait to use that 55 mph A/C ... LOL

> Warn your date you're about to open it if she's wearing a skirt. Or
> don't.... ;-p

LOL... i'm the type that wouldn't warn anyone except a relative or old
lady..