Tegger replaces his alternator

Old March 14th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default Tegger replaces his alternator

Did I ever tell you aftermarket sucks?

Through no fault of my own, I ended up with two aftermarket reman
alternators (NAPA), both of which failed very quickly. This time I said
screw the aftermarket warranty, bit the bullet and bought a genuine Honda
reman.

And this one I installed...myself. First time for this type of project.

I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way of
removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing the left
driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.

As with my suspension repairs, I found my electric impact gun and my
balljoint tool to be worth their weight in gold. With them, the job was a
piece of cake. Without them I don't think the job would have been possible.
The spindle nut is torqued to 134 ft lbs, and requires at least twice that
to remove.

The factory manual wants you to remove the damper fork entirely. I wonder
why, as the entire driveshaft was easily removable through the fork without
even removing the pinch bolt. Perhaps my (aftermarket) inner CV joints are
smaller in diameter than the OEMs were.

The patient is resting comfortably, as is the surgeon.

Pics he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 14th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Nick wrote:
> Now you know when I have posted in the past saying the alternator was
> a PITA to do. There was absolutely no need to place that component in
> that location, they should have been able to get it in front like the
> Accord of that year.

so where would you put the a/c and the power steering pump?

Old March 14th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

I thought I would have to do the same in my 98 civic, ie remove driveshaft
etc.... but I didn't. I simply got the alternator loose, then removed the 2
bolts on the alternator-engine block bracket, and it pretty much fell in my
lap.

Not so lucky on my wife's 87 prelude though.... with that one I had to remove
the driver side upper motor mount to allow me to shift the engine over enough
to make room to get the alternator out.

Tegger, would this option have worked in your situation at all?

Old March 14th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

PS, I used an alternator from the wrecker... $90 and I spent $5 on brushes
and $3 on new bearings before I put it in.

The wrecker alternator had 118000 kms on it, the civic had 198000kms at the
time. Now its at 271000kms, still goin strong!

My next replacement will be a honda reman, or I will take mine in to a shop
to have reworked provided the diode is still good.

Old March 14th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

Old March 14th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Nick > wrote in
:

> Now you know when I have posted in the past saying the alternator was
> a PITA to do. There was absolutely no need to place that component in
> that location, they should have been able to get it in front like the
> Accord of that year. I'm curious, were you able to get the spindle nut
> off with your impact gun? If so what's the model...I may invest in
> one. I had to use a torch to get mine off and that was after 3 tries!

My DeWalt (model DW293) is capable of 325 ft lbs of torque. It buzzed the
spindle nut off in literally seconds. NO problem. I wasn't able to drive
out all the staking the last guy put in the spindle nut, but that didn't
matter to the DeWalt.

I don't want to appear like a shill for DeWalt, but that electric impact
gun is absolutely, astoundingly amazing. It has never failed to shift ANY
bolt I've ever attempted to remove. Occasionally I have to go back-and-
forth for a minute, but so far everything's always come loose. Some day I'm
sure I'll run into a bolt it can't move, but so far that hasn't happened.

The one and only drawback to the DeWalt is its considerable heft and bulk.
It's a foot long from square drive to end of motor housing. It's therefore
useless in an engine bay or other tight spot, but for bolts where you have
lots of room for the beast, it's wonderful.

It was $200 at Home Depot.

Old March 14th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:6f2613ff2f450@uwe:

> I thought I would have to do the same in my 98 civic, ie remove
> driveshaft etc.... but I didn't. I simply got the alternator loose,
> then removed the 2 bolts on the alternator-engine block bracket, and
> it pretty much fell in my lap.

Can't do that with the 'Teg. The alternator is directly above the inner CV
joint.

Believe me, alternator removal is most assuredly impossible unless you
remove the driveshaft and the alternator bracket.

> Not so lucky on my wife's 87 prelude though.... with that one I had to
> remove the driver side upper motor mount to allow me to shift the
> engine over enough to make room to get the alternator out.
>
> Tegger, would this option have worked in your situation at all?

No. There is absolutely NO room ANYWHERE to remove the alternator unless
you remove the two parts I list above. You cannot remove the alternator
from above. IMPOSSIBLE.

I did study the situation thoroughly to make sure.

Somebody once posted here that his dad or someone had managed to remove his
alt upwards, removing the brake master cylinder to make room. That is
impossible as well.

Old March 14th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:14:55 -0700, jim beam
> wrote:

They are both in the front and above on my 95 Accord with the
alternator...the engineers could have done the same, might have needed
to extend the vertical size of the car a few inches but there is
definitely room.

Old March 15th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> Did I ever tell you aftermarket sucks?
>
> Through no fault of my own, I ended up with two aftermarket reman
> alternators (NAPA), both of which failed very quickly. This time I said
> screw the aftermarket warranty, bit the bullet and bought a genuine Honda
> reman.
>
> And this one I installed...myself. First time for this type of project.
>
> I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way of
> removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing the left
> driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.
>
> As with my suspension repairs, I found my electric impact gun and my
> balljoint tool to be worth their weight in gold. With them, the job was a
> piece of cake. Without them I don't think the job would have been possible.
> The spindle nut is torqued to 134 ft lbs, and requires at least twice that
> to remove.
>
> The factory manual wants you to remove the damper fork entirely. I wonder
> why, as the entire driveshaft was easily removable through the fork without
> even removing the pinch bolt. Perhaps my (aftermarket) inner CV joints are
> smaller in diameter than the OEMs were.
>
> The patient is resting comfortably, as is the surgeon.
>
> Pics he
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/

Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...

<G>

JT

Old March 15th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>

>> I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way
>> of removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing
>> the left driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.
>>

> Did I mention why my cutoff date for Honda(s) is 1983 where the
> alternator replacement is a whopping fifteen minutes or so...

You didn't mention it and you don't need to. Stop making people jealous.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

"Volkswagen's born-again Rabbit replaces Golf" Mike VW water cooled 1 November 19th 06 05:08 PM
TeGGer!! Do you have these TSB yet? Llatikcuf Honda 11 October 31st 05 02:54 PM
Mazda replaces car keys with USB drive... BE Driving 6 September 5th 05 07:48 AM
Thank You Tegger chefkojak Honda 2 July 27th 05 05:41 PM
Thank You Tegger chefkojak Honda 0 July 27th 05 02:43 AM