Which To Buy?

Old February 28th 07, 10:02 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Default Which To Buy?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:12:34 -0800, isquat wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
>> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She is
>> talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
>> wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward something
>> not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would ask
>> this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
>> there certain models/years to stay away from?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.
> Much better value and reliability because $5k buys you a dilapidated
> jap car and an american car in very good shape.

You smoke crack, don't you? 5K buys you an older jap car that still runs
longer and more reliably than the newer american scrap...

> Unless your daughter is a mechanic or runs a repair shop
> I won't advise to buy a desirable fun car for that kind of
> money. I suggest to get something some boring piece of junk that won't
> fall apart next day.
>
> Speaking of that, are 07 and 08 Civics any better than 06s
> reliability wise?

There are no 08 civics (or anything else). There have been no reliability
problems with 06 civics. Hell, my Si is almost a year old, and there has
not been a single recall for it. I don't remember ever having an American
car with no recalls...
Old February 28th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
>> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She
>> is
>> talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
>> wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward
>> something
>> not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would
>> ask
>> this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
>> there certain models/years to stay away from?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.
> Much better value and reliability because $5k buys you a dilapidated
> jap car and an american car in very good shape.
> Unless your daughter is a mechanic or runs a repair shop
> I won't advise to buy a desirable fun car for that kind of
> money. I suggest to get something some boring piece of junk that won't
> fall apart next day.
>
> Speaking of that, are 07 and 08 Civics any better than 06s
> reliability wise?

At $5K either a Japanese or American make can be a good deal, but either
will certainly need some attention in the years to come. Depending on where
you live, it can be hard to find a decent Honda or Toyota for $5K that is
less than seven or eight years old. With the American makes 5 years is
reasonable.

Definitely ask about specific cars (model and year) on the appropriate
newsgroups. The common experiences are going to be typical of what you can
expect and you will get warnings to check on various things. Ignore those at
your own risk!

One last word - if the engine uses a timing belt (and most engines from the
years you are looking at do) expect it to need changing immediately. Unless
you can get help from a serious DIYer expect to pay in the $500 range for
that.

Okay - my own prejudice... I don't like the reliability of Dodge/Chrysler
used cars.

Mike

Old February 28th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Newby

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
.. .
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
> >> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She
> >> is
> >> talking Honda Civic.

[snipped]
> At $5K either a Japanese or American make can be a good deal, but either
> will certainly need some attention in the years to come. Depending on

where
> you live, it can be hard to find a decent Honda or Toyota for $5K that is
> less than seven or eight years old. With the American makes 5 years is
> reasonable.
>
> Definitely ask about specific cars (model and year) on the appropriate
> newsgroups. The common experiences are going to be typical of what you can
> expect and you will get warnings to check on various things. Ignore those

at
> your own risk!
>
> One last word - if the engine uses a timing belt (and most engines from

the
> years you are looking at do) expect it to need changing immediately.

Unless
> you can get help from a serious DIYer expect to pay in the $500 range for
> that.
>
> Okay - my own prejudice... I don't like the reliability of Dodge/Chrysler
> used cars.
>
> Mike

Thanks for your input.
I have just started looking at prices and looks like she might have to spend
more than planned.

Old March 1st 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 28, 1:02 am, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:12:34 -0800, isquat wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
> >> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She is
> >> talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
> >> wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward something
> >> not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would ask
> >> this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
> >> there certain models/years to stay away from?

> >> Thanks for any help.

> > For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.
> > Much better value and reliability because $5k buys you a dilapidated
> > jap car and an american car in very good shape.

> You smoke crack, don't you? 5K buys you an older jap car that still runs
> longer and more reliably than the newer american scrap...

Whatever. I stand by my statement. $5k on a jap car
are likely to be flushed down the drain. At least that's my
experience with the jap cars in that range. Won't go there. Ever.

> > Unless your daughter is a mechanic or runs a repair shop
> > I won't advise to buy a desirable fun car for that kind of
> > money. I suggest to get something some boring piece of junk that won't
> > fall apart next day.

> > Speaking of that, are 07 and 08 Civics any better than 06s
> > reliability wise?

> There are no 08 civics (or anything else). There have been no

Yep. I stand corrected. No 08s just yet.

reliability
> problems with 06 civics. Hell, my Si is almost a year old, and there has
> not been a single recall for it. I don't remember ever having an American
> car with no recalls...

I believe your Si is made in Japan and DX thru LXes are made all
over the place. According to the previous posts here 06 civics
were nothing but trouble. Especially with the automatic geatboxes.
The don't make Si with an auto do they? My point exactly.
Si is a very special car in the Civic lineup and it's reliability
is not a good indicator of how DX, EX and LX fare.
I suspect Honda may have cleaned up its civic act for 07. Did it?

Old March 1st 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:09:21 -0800, isquat wrote:

> On Feb 28, 1:02 am, Joe LaVigne > wrote:

>> > For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.
>> > Much better value and reliability because $5k buys you a dilapidated
>> > jap car and an american car in very good shape.

>> You smoke crack, don't you? 5K buys you an older jap car that still runs
>> longer and more reliably than the newer american scrap...
>>

> Whatever. I stand by my statement. $5k on a jap car
> are likely to be flushed down the drain. At least that's my
> experience with the jap cars in that range. Won't go there. Ever.

Your experience is clearly BS. I'd rather have a 8 year old Accord (well
maintained) than a 5 year old GM, Chrysler or Ford product. Any day of
the week.

>> > Unless your daughter is a mechanic or runs a repair shop
>> > I won't advise to buy a desirable fun car for that kind of
>> > money. I suggest to get something some boring piece of junk that won't
>> > fall apart next day.

>> > Speaking of that, are 07 and 08 Civics any better than 06s
>> > reliability wise?

>> There are no 08 civics (or anything else). There have been no

> Yep. I stand corrected. No 08s just yet.
>
> reliability
>> problems with 06 civics. Hell, my Si is almost a year old, and there has
>> not been a single recall for it. I don't remember ever having an American
>> car with no recalls...

> I believe your Si is made in Japan and DX thru LXes are made all
> over the place. According to the previous posts here 06 civics
> were nothing but trouble. Especially with the automatic geatboxes.
> The don't make Si with an auto do they? My point exactly.
> Si is a very special car in the Civic lineup and it's reliability
> is not a good indicator of how DX, EX and LX fare.
> I suspect Honda may have cleaned up its civic act for 07. Did it?

And yet again, you'd be wrong. My Si was assembled in Ontario, using
parts from the US, Canada and Japan.

The last time there was a common problem with a Honda Auto Tranny it was
02 in the Accords and Odyssey lines using a V6. I know a couple people
with 06 Civics with Auto Tranny, and they have had no problems...
Old March 1st 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 28, 8:18 pm, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:09:21 -0800, isquat wrote:

> >> You smoke crack, don't you? 5K buys you an older jap car that still runs
> >> longer and more reliably than the newer american scrap...

> > Whatever. I stand by my statement. $5k on a jap car
> > are likely to be flushed down the drain. At least that's my
> > experience with the jap cars in that range. Won't go there. Ever.

> Your experience is clearly BS. I'd rather have a 8 year old Accord (well
> maintained) than a 5 year old GM, Chrysler or Ford product. Any day of
> the week.

My experience might be BS but I can assure you that the money flushed
the drain on my old Subaru were very real. No old used cars for me jap
or otherwise thank you very much. The reliability is way overhyped.

> > is not a good indicator of how DX, EX and LX fare.
> > I suspect Honda may have cleaned up its civic act for 07. Did it?

> And yet again, you'd be wrong. My Si was assembled in Ontario, using
> parts from the US, Canada and Japan.
>
> The last time there was a common problem with a Honda Auto Tranny it was
> 02 in the Accords and Odyssey lines using a V6. I know a couple people
> with 06 Civics with Auto Tranny, and they have had no problems...

You have a representative sample don't you?
And I have $10k flushed on a 7 y.o. Legacy that I paid $7k for.

Then when I was shopping for a car three years ago I stop
by a Honda dealer to see what they had.
Well, they had a 3-4 y.o. civic with 50-60k miles on it
and the dealer wanted $9600 or so for it. $10k for a stinky
piece of "certified" junk with a half the juice taken out of it? It
was probably due for a timing belt and gawd knows what else.
I went straight to the Mazda dealer and bought a 1 y.o. Protege with
3k on odometer. Very clean and no stench. Granted, Civic has a better
shifting
tranny and a smooth motor to match but I feel that I got
a much better value (and unlike Corolla the car is a hoot to drive)
If I were to replace my car and I were in snowbelt I'd get a new Civic
Si. A used one?
Given the depreciation rates for Hondas: no bloody way!
I'm not a complete moron. Used Hondas (Toyolets and Subarus too)
are WAY overpriced.
So I stand by my recommendation to OP to look elsewhere for a used
car.

Just my $.02.

Old March 1st 07, 10:05 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:46:39 -0800, isquat wrote:

> My experience might be BS but I can assure you that the money flushed
> the drain on my old Subaru were very real. No old used cars for me jap
> or otherwise thank you very much. The reliability is way overhyped.

SNIP

> Just my $.02.

Ahh, I see... So you are in a Honda newsgroup complaining about civics
because you feel you paid too much for your Subaru. Good logic...
Old March 1st 07, 10:06 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> My experience might be BS but I can assure you that the money flushed
> the drain on my old Subaru were very real. No old used cars for me jap
> or otherwise thank you very much. The reliability is way overhyped.

You're badmouthing Honda based on your experience with Subaru. That
makes no sense what-so-ever.

Old March 1st 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 1, 1:06 am, "Brian Smith" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > My experience might be BS but I can assure you that the money flushed
> > the drain on my old Subaru were very real. No old used cars for me jap
> > or otherwise thank you very much. The reliability is way overhyped.

> You're badmouthing Honda based on your experience with Subaru. That
> makes no sense what-so-ever.

I was explaining to the OP that there are better deals and that
for $5k he can get a car in better shape if he shops elsewhere.
I don't have a problem if he buys a new Civic but a used one
is not a good value that's all. I think I explained already
that CIvic Si is on the list of my protege replacements
along with RX-8 and EVO. (Mazdaspeed 3 won't cut it for me).
In case you wonder what I'm doing on this NG in the first place.