1988 Honda Accord won't idle when warmed up

Old January 30th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default 1988 Honda Accord won't idle when warmed up

jim beam wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
>> wrote in
>> :
>>> On Jan 29, 7:05 pm, Grumpy AuContraire >
>>> wrote:

>>> i drive industrial vehicles at work and i realise that most of the
>>> engines in these vehicles are diesel-powered, oil-cooled, no
>>> computers, compact in size and yet puts out decent power with good
>>> fuel efficiency, they can take a good abuse and yet requires virtually
>>> no maintenance, other than scheduled oil and filter changes...

>> And none but the barest governmental diktats.
>>

>>> corporate america knows what's best for them.. but us consumers are
>>> f*cked... haha

>> "Corporate America" had cars getting ever /simpler/ for the consumer
>> over the decades.
>> It's the government that's to blame for complexity, specifically the
>> EPA and NHTSA. You can call what they do good, bad or indifferent, but
>> it is undeniable that their mandates have introduced enormous and
>> hugely expensive complication into cars.

> a lot of this "complication" is not that expensive. well, it is at the
> consumer end, but not for the manufacturers. at their kind of volume
> levels, a complete fuel injection package, with catalyst and all
> sensors, is probably less than $500. that's not exactly a significant
> burden on a vehicle retailing for over $15k.

Guess again, Detroit's cost to produce an entire V8 engine was $150 in
the late 60's/early 70's (I'm remembering this from an old Car & Driver
article), so $500 just for the FI system is decidedly non trivial.
Old January 31st 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tony Harding wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> wrote in
>>> :

>>> And none but the barest governmental diktats.

>>> "Corporate America" had cars getting ever /simpler/ for the consumer
>>> over the decades.
>>> It's the government that's to blame for complexity, specifically the
>>> EPA and NHTSA. You can call what they do good, bad or indifferent,
>>> but it is undeniable that their mandates have introduced enormous and
>>> hugely expensive complication into cars.

>> a lot of this "complication" is not that expensive. well, it is at
>> the consumer end, but not for the manufacturers. at their kind of
>> volume levels, a complete fuel injection package, with catalyst and
>> all sensors, is probably less than $500. that's not exactly a
>> significant burden on a vehicle retailing for over $15k.

> Guess again, Detroit's cost to produce an entire V8 engine was $150 in
> the late 60's/early 70's (I'm remembering this from an old Car & Driver
> article), so $500 just for the FI system is decidedly non trivial.

that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
values, not last.
Old January 31st 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The EGR valve is stuck open.

Old January 31st 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:

<snip>

>>> a lot of this "complication" is not that expensive. well, it is at
>>> the consumer end, but not for the manufacturers. at their kind of
>>> volume levels, a complete fuel injection package, with catalyst and
>>> all sensors, is probably less than $500. that's not exactly a
>>> significant burden on a vehicle retailing for over $15k.

>> Guess again, Detroit's cost to produce an entire V8 engine was $150 in
>> the late 60's/early 70's (I'm remembering this from an old Car &
>> Driver article), so $500 just for the FI system is decidedly non trivial.

> that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
> values, not last.

<ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars - suppose
the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a very
significant cost factor.
Old January 31st 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Tony Harding > wrote in
:

> jim beam wrote:
>> Tony Harding wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Guess again, Detroit's cost to produce an entire V8 engine was $150
>>> in the late 60's/early 70's (I'm remembering this from an old Car &
>>> Driver article), so $500 just for the FI system is decidedly non
>>> trivial.

>> that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
>> values, not last.

> <ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars -
> suppose the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a
> very significant cost factor.

$150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.

It has been estimated (forget where I read this; might have been Forbes)
that the cost of meeting the myriad regulations and mandates adds up to
many thousands of dollars per car.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 31st 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> Tony Harding > wrote in
> :
>
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> Tony Harding wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
>>> values, not last.

>> <ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars -
>> suppose the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a
>> very significant cost factor.
>>

> $150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.
>
> It has been estimated (forget where I read this; might have been Forbes)
> that the cost of meeting the myriad regulations and mandates adds up to
> many thousands of dollars per car.

retail, not wholesale. listening to detroit bleating about costs is
like listening to the riaa say they're incurring $1.5M loss for the
copying of one cd.
Old January 31st 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> Tony Harding > wrote in
> :
>

>>jim beam wrote:
>>
>>>Tony Harding wrote:

>><snip>

>>>that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
>>>values, not last.

>><ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars -
>>suppose the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a
>>very significant cost factor.
>>

> $150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.
>
> It has been estimated (forget where I read this; might have been Forbes)
> that the cost of meeting the myriad regulations and mandates adds up to
> many thousands of dollars per car.

Don't fret too much... They, (the guv'ment), still has not insisted
that onboard porta potties be provided for each vehicle manufactured.
After all, they do have thangs like airpressure checks etc.

How friggin' lazy have we gotten?

<grrrr>

JT

Old February 1st 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Tegger wrote:
> Tony Harding > wrote in
> :
>
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> Tony Harding wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> that might be a useful comparison if you used this century's money
>>> values, not last.

>> <ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars -
>> suppose the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a
>> very significant cost factor.

> $150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.

Even at $1,500, the incremental cost of $500 is a big deal. (Thanks for
looking it up, BTW)
Old February 1st 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tony Harding wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
>> Tony Harding > wrote in
>> :
>>> <snip>

>>> <ignoring the snark factor> Not too hard to adjust the dollars -
>>> suppose the $150 in 1970 dollars is $500 in 2008 dollars, it's still a
>>> very significant cost factor.

>> $150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.

> Even at $1,500, the incremental cost of $500 is a big deal. (Thanks for
> looking it up, BTW)

on a $15k+ car??? that's 3%. and that cost, for the manufacturer, is
more than recouped by fewer returns under warranty. for the consumer,
it's significantly greater as it allows almost total avoidance of all
that b.s. tune-up rip-off we used to endure.
Old February 10th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> Tony Harding > wrote in
>>> :

>>> $150 1970 dollars is about $1,500 in today's money.

>> Even at $1,500, the incremental cost of $500 is a big deal. (Thanks
>> for looking it up, BTW)

> on a $15k+ car??? that's 3%. and that cost, for the manufacturer, is
> more than recouped by fewer returns under warranty. for the consumer,
> it's significantly greater as it allows almost total avoidance of all
> that b.s. tune-up rip-off we used to endure.

I disagree - auto manufacturers are very cost sensitive and that's an
enormous incremental cost (for the engine, not the entire car).