Oil above spark plugs

Old February 9th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
GK[_3_]

Default Oil above spark plugs

1994 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord - 310K

I changed the spark plugs 11,000 miles ago after
I replaced the head gasket. Lately, I seem to be getting
a rough idle that turns into a very slight vibration at higher
rpms. I thought that maybe I had solved the problem by
doing the "Italian Tuneup" (driving the "snot" out of it),
but it stills exhibits the same problem. The vacuum hoses,
rotor, and distributor all checked out fine. I haven't cleaned the
throttle plate or idle air control valve yet.

I figured I would check out the spark plugs first. The plugs
looked fine, they were not fouled and still gapped correctly.
However, when I pulled the two outside plugs, the wells that
they came out of were both filled about halfway with oil. The
oil did not appear to get past the "rubber boot" of the spark
plug wire, but it appeared that something wasn't correct. I
have sometimes in the past check the oil, and found that it would
be low one day, and normal the next. I often wondered if the oil
was "migrating" above the engine somehow. Can someone shed some
light on what might be happening here.

Would it do any harm to try an oil additive like Seafoam?

Thanks,

Gary

Old February 9th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

GK wrote:
> 1994 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord - 310K
>
> I changed the spark plugs 11,000 miles ago after
> I replaced the head gasket. Lately, I seem to be getting
> a rough idle that turns into a very slight vibration at higher
> rpms. I thought that maybe I had solved the problem by
> doing the "Italian Tuneup" (driving the "snot" out of it),
> but it stills exhibits the same problem. The vacuum hoses,
> rotor, and distributor all checked out fine. I haven't cleaned the
> throttle plate or idle air control valve yet.
>
> I figured I would check out the spark plugs first. The plugs
> looked fine, they were not fouled and still gapped correctly.
> However, when I pulled the two outside plugs, the wells that
> they came out of were both filled about halfway with oil. The
> oil did not appear to get past the "rubber boot" of the spark
> plug wire, but it appeared that something wasn't correct. I
> have sometimes in the past check the oil, and found that it would
> be low one day, and normal the next. I often wondered if the oil
> was "migrating" above the engine somehow. Can someone shed some
> light on what might be happening here.
>
> Would it do any harm to try an oil additive like Seafoam?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Gary

oil leak needs new rocker cover "b" gaskets. rough running maybe a
balance shaft timing issue since you've had the belts off.

forget oil additives.
Old February 9th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
GK[_3_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> GK wrote:
> > 1994 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord - 310K
> >
> > I changed the spark plugs 11,000 miles ago after
> > I replaced the head gasket. Lately, I seem to be getting
> > a rough idle that turns into a very slight vibration at higher
> > rpms. I thought that maybe I had solved the problem by
> > doing the "Italian Tuneup" (driving the "snot" out of it),
> > but it stills exhibits the same problem. The vacuum hoses,
> > rotor, and distributor all checked out fine. I haven't cleaned the
> > throttle plate or idle air control valve yet.
> >
> > I figured I would check out the spark plugs first. The plugs
> > looked fine, they were not fouled and still gapped correctly.
> > However, when I pulled the two outside plugs, the wells that
> > they came out of were both filled about halfway with oil. The
> > oil did not appear to get past the "rubber boot" of the spark
> > plug wire, but it appeared that something wasn't correct. I
> > have sometimes in the past check the oil, and found that it would
> > be low one day, and normal the next. I often wondered if the oil
> > was "migrating" above the engine somehow. Can someone shed some
> > light on what might be happening here.
> >
> > Would it do any harm to try an oil additive like Seafoam?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary
> >

> oil leak needs new rocker cover "b" gaskets. rough running maybe a
> balance shaft timing issue since you've had the belts off.
>
> forget oil additives.

When I put the belts back on, I remember wondering
if I had properly adjusted the tension on the timing belt.
I think I was having a hard time accessing a bolt. Could this
cause a rough idle ("dieseling") and a very slight vibration
at higher rpm's?

Old February 9th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"GK" > wrote in
:

> 1994 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord - 310K
>

> I figured I would check out the spark plugs first. The plugs
> looked fine, they were not fouled and still gapped correctly.
> However, when I pulled the two outside plugs, the wells that
> they came out of were both filled about halfway with oil. The
> oil did not appear to get past the "rubber boot" of the spark
> plug wire, but it appeared that something wasn't correct. I
> have sometimes in the past check the oil, and found that it would
> be low one day, and normal the next. I often wondered if the oil
> was "migrating" above the engine somehow. Can someone shed some
> light on what might be happening here.

This has been a common one in the past few days...

See he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 9th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

GK wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> GK wrote:
>>> 1994 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord - 310K
>>>
>>> I changed the spark plugs 11,000 miles ago after
>>> I replaced the head gasket. Lately, I seem to be getting
>>> a rough idle that turns into a very slight vibration at higher
>>> rpms. I thought that maybe I had solved the problem by
>>> doing the "Italian Tuneup" (driving the "snot" out of it),
>>> but it stills exhibits the same problem. The vacuum hoses,
>>> rotor, and distributor all checked out fine. I haven't cleaned the
>>> throttle plate or idle air control valve yet.
>>>
>>> I figured I would check out the spark plugs first. The plugs
>>> looked fine, they were not fouled and still gapped correctly.
>>> However, when I pulled the two outside plugs, the wells that
>>> they came out of were both filled about halfway with oil. The
>>> oil did not appear to get past the "rubber boot" of the spark
>>> plug wire, but it appeared that something wasn't correct. I
>>> have sometimes in the past check the oil, and found that it would
>>> be low one day, and normal the next. I often wondered if the oil
>>> was "migrating" above the engine somehow. Can someone shed some
>>> light on what might be happening here.
>>>
>>> Would it do any harm to try an oil additive like Seafoam?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>> oil leak needs new rocker cover "b" gaskets. rough running maybe a
>> balance shaft timing issue since you've had the belts off.
>>
>> forget oil additives.

> When I put the belts back on, I remember wondering
> if I had properly adjusted the tension on the timing belt.
> I think I was having a hard time accessing a bolt. Could this
> cause a rough idle ("dieseling") and a very slight vibration
> at higher rpm's?

a little, yes. when the belt flops about, the timing flutters and that
leads to roughness. you can see that if you use a timing light and
check the ignition timing - it leaps about. but i suspect the balance
shaft is the main culprit. need to get back in there and check.

the timing belt is easy enough to tension - google this group - i've
posted it several times. check that first, then ask again if you have a
problem.
Old February 10th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

GK wrote:

<skip>

> When I put the belts back on, I remember wondering
> if I had properly adjusted the tension on the timing belt.
> I think I was having a hard time accessing a bolt. Could this
> cause a rough idle ("dieseling") and a very slight vibration
> at higher rpm's?

Minor nit, dieseling is not a rough idle - it refers to a spark engine
continuing to run after the ignition is shut off:

Dieseling in spark-ignition engines

A gasoline (spark ignition) engine can sometimes act as a compression
ignition engine under abnormal circumstances, a phenomenon typically
described as pinging or pinking (during normal running) or dieseling
(when the engine continues to run after the electrical ignition system
is shut off). This is usually caused by hot carbon deposits within the
combustion chamber that act as would a glow plug within a diesel or
model aircraft engine. Excessive heat can also be caused by improper
ignition timing and/or fuel/air ratio which in turn overheats the
exposed portions of the spark plug within the combustion chamber.
Finally, high-compression engines that require high-octane fuel may
knock when a lower-octane fuel is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_...nition_engines

spark plugs Don Moore Mazda 6 August 27th 07 03:54 AM
spark plugs newman Ford Explorer 3 March 26th 07 02:01 AM
spark plugs? zakman via CarKB.com VW water cooled 3 March 31st 06 08:16 AM
VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 09:15 PM
Oil in spark plugs bigrob4201 Honda 7 June 26th 05 05:23 AM