2002 Honda Civic Power Los

Old March 18th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2002 Honda Civic Power Los

2002 Honda Civic, Automatic, 38,000 miles lightly driven, well upkept
no problems other than a door sensor and an A/C heat sensor. Since the
winter time I have had a problem with engine power when driving after
the car has been idle for some time(ex. parked at the mall). It'll
start but once you start to drive it'll start to sputter, like the
engine isn't getting fuel. I'll be pressing the same amount on the
pedal but not much happening. I can floor it and it'll pick up and
won't happen after the initial 5 mins of driving. The car is also
idiling rough. Also noticable loss of power going up hills, which I'm
sure happens on the flats but not as noticable Mentioned it to the
dealer when I had an oil change but they could not duplicate it, no
surprise there. Ok so I did use a fuel system cleaner and replaced the
sparkplugs but the problem persists. I've heard it might be the timing
as well as the idle control valve. Any ideas? Thank you

Error codes:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air
Metering????

P0132 Primary

Old March 19th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in news:1174255821.253719.284140
@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

> 2002 Honda Civic, Automatic, 38,000 miles lightly driven, well upkept
> no problems other than a door sensor and an A/C heat sensor. Since the
> winter time I have had a problem with engine power when driving after
> the car has been idle for some time(ex. parked at the mall). It'll
> start but once you start to drive it'll start to sputter, like the
> engine isn't getting fuel. I'll be pressing the same amount on the
> pedal but not much happening. I can floor it and it'll pick up and
> won't happen after the initial 5 mins of driving. The car is also
> idiling rough. Also noticable loss of power going up hills, which I'm
> sure happens on the flats but not as noticable Mentioned it to the
> dealer when I had an oil change but they could not duplicate it, no
> surprise there. Ok so I did use a fuel system cleaner and replaced the
> sparkplugs but the problem persists. I've heard it might be the timing
> as well as the idle control valve. Any ideas? Thank you
>
> Error codes:
>
> P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage
>
> Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air
> Metering????

The first one is correct. Honda has a TSB on this issue: 05-006.
Your ELD is defective. Bring it to the dealer.

> P0132 Primary

....H02S Circuit High Voltage

Do you have this code too? Likely need a new sensor, but some diagnostic
troubleshooting is needed to make sure it's not a wiring problem.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 19th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1174255821.253719.284140
> @p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:
>

> > 2002 Honda Civic, Automatic, 38,000 miles lightly driven, well upkept
> > no problems other than a door sensor and an A/C heat sensor. Since the
> > winter time I have had a problem with engine power when driving after
> > the car has been idle for some time(ex. parked at the mall). It'll
> > start but once you start to drive it'll start to sputter, like the
> > engine isn't getting fuel. I'll be pressing the same amount on the
> > pedal but not much happening. I can floor it and it'll pick up and
> > won't happen after the initial 5 mins of driving. The car is also
> > idiling rough. Also noticable loss of power going up hills, which I'm
> > sure happens on the flats but not as noticable Mentioned it to the
> > dealer when I had an oil change but they could not duplicate it, no
> > surprise there. Ok so I did use a fuel system cleaner and replaced the
> > sparkplugs but the problem persists. I've heard it might be the timing
> > as well as the idle control valve. Any ideas? Thank you

> > Error codes:

> > P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

> > Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air
> > Metering????

> The first one is correct. Honda has a TSB on this issue: 05-006.
> Your ELD is defective. Bring it to the dealer.
>

> > P0132 Primary

> ...H02S Circuit High Voltage
>
> Do you have this code too? Likely need a new sensor, but some diagnostic
> troubleshooting is needed to make sure it's not a wiring problem.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Thank you Tegger.

Would the P1298 cause any performance problems? Would this faulty ELD
fail to detect any real electrical problems?

Can I check the 02 sensor myself? Where is it? I don't have the
equipment to test the voltage but can check to make sure the airflow
is not fouled or the wires/connection are not compromised? If I take
it out what should I be looking for, build up on the tip?

Could this be a fuel filter problem? I'll tell ya I've heard it all
from different boards I've posted on.

Old March 19th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in news:1174262952.234392.75340
@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> wrote in news:1174255821.253719.284140
>> @p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

>> > Error codes:

>> > P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

>> > Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air
>> > Metering????

>> The first one is correct. Honda has a TSB on this issue: 05-006.
>> Your ELD is defective. Bring it to the dealer.
>>

>> > P0132 Primary

>> ...H02S Circuit High Voltage
>>
>> Do you have this code too? Likely need a new sensor, but some
>> diagnostic
>> troubleshooting is needed to make sure it's not a wiring problem.
>>

> Thank you Tegger.
>
> Would the P1298 cause any performance problems? Would this faulty ELD
> fail to detect any real electrical problems?

All possible, yes.

> Can I check the 02 sensor myself? Where is it? I don't have the
> equipment to test the voltage but can check to make sure the airflow
> is not fouled or the wires/connection are not compromised? If I take
> it out what should I be looking for, build up on the tip?

You cannot test the sensor yourself. You need to have a dealer -- or a
garage with a very good ODB-II tester and multimeter -- check it out.
Preferably either the OBD-II tester has graphing capability, or the
garage has an oscilloscope.

The sensor goes bad electrically. There will be no visible evidence of
problems.

> Could this be a fuel filter problem? I'll tell ya I've heard it all
> from different boards I've posted on.

Not a filter problem Plugged filters manifest themselves at high revs.

Old March 24th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Ok maybe this might help. I'm determined to figure this out without
the dealer.

I was leaving the parking lot after shopping and the engine started to
cut-out as described before. Instead of gunninng it and continuing on
I parked it. I sat there in drive and allowed the car the struggle to
reach a normal idle. It sputtered and bucked a little, but I didn't
give it any gas(I was parked with my foot on the brake and the car in
drive). Eventually it worked itself into a normal idle. Does this help
any?

Thank you for your help, I really want to figure this out. It's
frustrating that the dealer wasn't a big help and I'm as descriptive
as possible on these boards and receive few replies, while others
write little and get many replies. Oh well.

Old March 24th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in
ups.com:

> Ok maybe this might help. I'm determined to figure this out without
> the dealer.
>
> I was leaving the parking lot after shopping and the engine started to
> cut-out as described before. Instead of gunninng it and continuing on
> I parked it. I sat there in drive and allowed the car the struggle to
> reach a normal idle. It sputtered and bucked a little, but I didn't
> give it any gas(I was parked with my foot on the brake and the car in
> drive). Eventually it worked itself into a normal idle. Does this help
> any?

No, unfortunately it doesn't help much.

Your problem could be anything from a dirty throttle body to misadjusted
idle speed to poor ignition maintenance to a neglected cooling system to
dirty injectors.

I suspect it's a mix of things, but most likely unrelated to the oxygen
sensor. (Although it could be that too.)

You can try dumping a can of Chevron "Techron" fuel additive in the gas
tank and see if that does anything. Worst case you're out $15 or so.

> Thank you for your help, I really want to figure this out.

It's unlikely you'll be able to sort this out on your own. You need a
garage with the necessary equipment, experience and familiarity with the
vehicle. Engine controls these days are very complex and interact in
ways you would never guess.

> It's
> frustrating that the dealer wasn't a big help

Try some other dealer, or an independent garage that specializes in
imports.

> and I'm as descriptive
> as possible on these boards and receive few replies,

You probably receive few replies because of your subject. Driveability
problems are difficult to impossible to diagnose remotely. The best
anyone can give are guesses.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

2001 Honda Civic power windows WOOD1948 Honda 0 December 13th 06 11:43 PM
2000 honda civic power window kameau Technology 1 September 18th 06 03:23 PM
honda-civic-2002 at 7k [email protected] Honda 1 August 10th 06 02:01 PM
2002 Honda Civic creditcontrol Honda 5 February 9th 06 06:02 AM
2002 Honda Civic EX troublecodes DavidT Honda 2 January 4th 06 02:26 AM