800+ platinum remote starter: cranks engine, but engine never starts

Old February 17th 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chris[_6_]

Default 800+ platinum remote starter: cranks engine, but engine never starts

Honda Element 2004, 800+ platinum remote starter.
This happened after my battery drain completely. I did install a new
battery and now the starter cranks the engine, but but engine never
starts (fires). The lock/unlock works fine, even I can enable/disable
the starter. Nothing was modified as wiring, remote started was
installed by dealer, not more in warranty. Even when the key is on
contact (on), the starter craks the engine, but engine never fires.
When I crank with the key itself, all is perfect, engine cranks and
starts normal.
Old February 18th 12, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Chris" > wrote in message
> Honda Element 2004, 800+ platinum remote starter.
> This happened after my battery drain completely. I did install a new
> battery and now the starter cranks the engine, but but engine never
> starts (fires). The lock/unlock works fine, even I can enable/disable
> the starter. Nothing was modified as wiring, remote started was
> installed by dealer, not more in warranty. Even when the key is on
> contact (on), the starter craks the engine, but engine never fires.
> When I crank with the key itself, all is perfect, engine cranks and
> starts normal.

So the car wasn't jump started? That could possibly blow out a circuit on
the remote starter unit. What make\model is it? It is possible it lost it's
programming but pretty much any decent unit when in that state wouldn't
crank the engine. They would flash the lights\beep the horn to indicate an
error condition. The fact that it cranks without catching tells me it is
energizing the starter circuit (the cranking) but not energizing the
ignition circuit (key in run position). This can be handled via an onboard
relay or through a signal (12v or GND) to an external relay.

Old February 21st 12, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chris[_6_]

On Feb 18, 6:14*pm, "Seth" > wrote:
> "Chris" > wrote in message

> > Honda Element 2004, 800+ platinum remote starter.
> > This happened after my battery drain completely. I did install a new
> > battery and now the starter cranks the engine, but but engine never
> > starts (fires). The lock/unlock works fine, even I can enable/disable
> > the starter. Nothing was modified as wiring, remote started was
> > installed by dealer, not more in warranty. Even when the key is on
> > contact (on), the starter craks the engine, but engine never fires.
> > When I crank with the key itself, all is perfect, engine cranks and
> > starts normal.

> So the car wasn't jump started? That could possibly blow out a circuit on
> the remote starter unit. *What make\model is it? It is possible it lost it's
> programming but pretty much any decent unit when in that state wouldn't
> crank the engine. *They would flash the lights\beep the horn to indicate an
> error condition. *The fact that it cranks without catching tells me it is
> energizing the starter circuit (the cranking) but not energizing the
> ignition circuit (key in run position). *This can be handled via an onboard
> relay or through a signal (12v or GND) to an external relay.

Thanks for answer.
Indeed, I did start the car with jumper or booster couple of times. I
did not think this could afftect the remote starter.
I did not see any flashing code error. One more detail: after I do
start the engine by key, I can then press the start button from remote
and engine keep runing after removing the key from contact (like
normal). Also I can stop the engine from remote. But when I try to
start again, it cranks, but not fire. I will check the relay as you
suggest, but I was thinking is some programming issue. And I dont know
how to reset the defaul programming.
Old February 21st 12, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_3_]

"Chris" > wrote in message
> On Feb 18, 6:14 pm, "Seth" > wrote:
>> "Chris" > wrote in message

>> > Honda Element 2004, 800+ platinum remote starter.
>> > This happened after my battery drain completely. I did install a new
>> > battery and now the starter cranks the engine, but but engine never
>> > starts (fires). The lock/unlock works fine, even I can enable/disable
>> > the starter. Nothing was modified as wiring, remote started was
>> > installed by dealer, not more in warranty. Even when the key is on
>> > contact (on), the starter craks the engine, but engine never fires.
>> > When I crank with the key itself, all is perfect, engine cranks and
>> > starts normal.

>> So the car wasn't jump started? That could possibly blow out a circuit on
>> the remote starter unit. What make\model is it? It is possible it lost
>> it's
>> programming but pretty much any decent unit when in that state wouldn't
>> crank the engine. They would flash the lights\beep the horn to indicate
>> an
>> error condition. The fact that it cranks without catching tells me it is
>> energizing the starter circuit (the cranking) but not energizing the
>> ignition circuit (key in run position). This can be handled via an
>> onboard
>> relay or through a signal (12v or GND) to an external relay.

> Thanks for answer.
> Indeed, I did start the car with jumper or booster couple of times. I
> did not think this could afftect the remote starter.
> I did not see any flashing code error. One more detail: after I do
> start the engine by key, I can then press the start button from remote
> and engine keep runing after removing the key from contact (like
> normal). Also I can stop the engine from remote. But when I try to
> start again, it cranks, but not fire. I will check the relay as you
> suggest, but I was thinking is some programming issue. And I dont know
> how to reset the defaul programming.

Well that additional info means the relay for the ignition circuit is
working otherwise the engine would stop when you took out the key. I suppose
the relay could still be faulty but it seems very unlikely.

And as mentioned previously all the models I ever worked with when the
programming was lost would error out and NOT crank the engine until
reprogrammed as to do so could be a safety issue.

So, things its not likely to be...
- ignition circuit or relay otherwise override (take key out with engine
still running) wouldn't work
- starter circuit or relay otherwise wouldn't crank at all
- neutral safety switch otherwise unit wouldn't crank at all
- brake sensor but I would expect this to also prevent cranking
- lost programming as that would prevent crank attempts

Possibly
- bad programming would allow engine to crank but shut-down right away if it
thinks the engine is running at too high an RPM

ooh, possibly tach sensor. Engine is catching but remote starter is
shutting down right away if it isn't detecting the engine is running. Most
units do this one of 2 ways. Cheaper units do it via voltage sensing. They
assume under 13volts engine is not running and over 14volts engine is
running. Better units actually have a wire specifically for detecting
engine running by either connecting to the ODBCII plug or directly to the
negative line on the coil. Do either of these wires exist? Specifically to
the coil as it is possible this wire was knocked loose while changing out
the battery. There is also a 3rd less common method that involves vacuum
lines but I personally never worked with one of those.