Anti-matter

Old February 8th 11, 10:44 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films, rec.autos.makers.honda, rec.arts.sf.movies
Steven L.[_2_]

Default Anti-matter

"Mike Dworetsky" > wrote in message
news
> Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> >> All this time I thought it has fission powered engines (and general
> >> electrical power generation as well) and the long boom was supposed
> >> to reduce the crew's radiation exposure. There wold also need to be
> >> some serious volume for consumables storage, with two crewmen eating
> >> and breathing for the entire voyage. There would also need to be
> >> some place to store the air pumped out of that huge bay every time
> >> they used a pod.

> > Unless it were a pulsed engine. You spend a few days building up your
> > anti-matter supply and then, PCHOOM!!, fire all of the guns at once
> > and explode into space. I'm still working on why you'd want to do
> > that, but I do know that one of the Skunk Works' classified projects
> > at Area 51 is a pulsed conventional engine. They must like 'em pulsed
> > for some reason.

> Thermodynamics still applies; it would take more energy to produce the
> antimatter than you would get out of it, because the manufacturing is not
> 100% efficient [partly because production results in various particles that
> leak away and carry energy]. Better to apply that energy to producing
> propulsion directly than producing antimatter.
>
> A pulsed conventional engine (like the WW2 V1 flying bombs) is very basic
> technology, very cheap to manufcture, but remarkably enough, it still
> requires a fuel tank to be filled up before launch; they don't manufacture
> the fuel on board during flight, in between pulses.

In the 1950s, the Pentagon funded a research project, Orion, to build a
starship that could be powered by the explosion of a series of atomic
bombs, one after the other. A "pusher plate" made of special materials
would shield the starship cabin from the atomic explosions, and act as a
shock absorber to smooth out the impulses. A dispenser not unlike that
in a Coca-Cola vending machine would drop atomic bombs out the
spaceship, one after the other. These would explode against the pusher
plate, one at a time, propelling the ship forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

Orion was cancelled when the U.S. signed the Outer Space Treaty which
forbade nuclear testing in space.

-- Steven L.

Old February 8th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.arts.sf.movies
Halmyre

In article > ,
says...

> "Mike Dworetsky" > wrote in message
> news >
> > Joe Snodgrass wrote:

> > > Unless it were a pulsed engine. You spend a few days building up your
> > > anti-matter supply and then, PCHOOM!!, fire all of the guns at once
> > > and explode into space. I'm still working on why you'd want to do
> > > that, but I do know that one of the Skunk Works' classified projects
> > > at Area 51 is a pulsed conventional engine. They must like 'em pulsed
> > > for some reason.

> > Thermodynamics still applies; it would take more energy to produce the
> > antimatter than you would get out of it, because the manufacturing is not
> > 100% efficient [partly because production results in various particles that
> > leak away and carry energy]. Better to apply that energy to producing
> > propulsion directly than producing antimatter.
> >
> > A pulsed conventional engine (like the WW2 V1 flying bombs) is very basic
> > technology, very cheap to manufcture, but remarkably enough, it still
> > requires a fuel tank to be filled up before launch; they don't manufacture
> > the fuel on board during flight, in between pulses.

> In the 1950s, the Pentagon funded a research project, Orion, to build a
> starship that could be powered by the explosion of a series of atomic
> bombs, one after the other. A "pusher plate" made of special materials
> would shield the starship cabin from the atomic explosions, and act as a
> shock absorber to smooth out the impulses. A dispenser not unlike that
> in a Coca-Cola vending machine would drop atomic bombs out the
> spaceship, one after the other. These would explode against the pusher
> plate, one at a time, propelling the ship forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

Kubrick was considering this as a method for Discovery's propulsion in
2001:ASO, but decided that he'd already had enough of exploding nukes.

--
Halmyre

The more you know the less the better

Anti-matter Steven L.[_2_] Honda 2 February 7th 11 09:09 PM
Do matching numbers matter? bill kolofa Corvette 7 June 19th 07 03:22 PM
Ah Ha Ha! It was just a matter of time... Pete C. Technology 2 January 6th 07 04:50 PM
Why rules matter. Brent P[_1_] Driving 3 January 6th 07 01:31 PM