CRX OIL DRAIN CRUSH WASHER: What size is a 1-over washer?

Old February 1st 11, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

Default CRX OIL DRAIN CRUSH WASHER: What size is a 1-over washer?

Had go with the 1-over oil drain plug from Advance/AZ/Reilly' or the
like as it was stripping out. I know the routine, but the damage
started before I got to it :-) "I" use a torque wrench :-) Still buy
Honda filters but the only way to get the stock crush washer (dealer)
to fit is to wrench it on in a vice ever so tenderly. So what size am
I looking for...or how to tell on my own? Just curious if anyone has
the specs on the tip of their tongue. Don't waste a lot of time on
this, pls. Also, for those who don't know...basically walk into your
dealer and ask for 'x' number of oil filters and they won't ask the
model/type for anything from '86-2010 (which is almost everything).
AFAIK the only difference is the S2000 filter, IF IF IF I remember
correctly? Anyway, thanks again Beamer, Tigger, Nasty and the
gang! :-)
Old February 1st 11, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Meatman > wrote in
:

> Had go with the 1-over oil drain plug from Advance/AZ/Reilly' or the
> like as it was stripping out. I know the routine, but the damage
> started before I got to it :-) "I" use a torque wrench :-) Still buy
> Honda filters but the only way to get the stock crush washer (dealer)
> to fit is to wrench it on in a vice ever so tenderly. So what size am
> I looking for...or how to tell on my own? Just curious if anyone has
> the specs on the tip of their tongue.

It's 7/8" overall diameter, with a 9/16" hole in the middle.
The OD's not really important, so an inch OD would do.

You can get nylon and other types of washers at any auto parts store.

> Don't waste a lot of time on this, pls.

I have some sitting right here.

> Also, for those who don't
> know...basically walk into your dealer and ask for 'x' number of oil
> filters and they won't ask the model/type for anything from '86-2010
> (which is almost everything). AFAIK the only difference is the S2000
> filter,

There is just one filter that fits most models (15400-PLM-A02), but
there are a couple of other sizes in use, so they SHOULD ask you what it's
going on.

--
Tegger
Old February 2nd 11, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

> > Don't waste a lot of time on this, please...
Nice one, Lenny Bruce. I meant don't waste too much time trying to
find the answer/research. If you know...then you know. That would be
sufficient info.

> There is just one filter that fits most models (15400-PLM-A02)...

My point exactly. "I need an Accord filter"."I need a CRX filter".
9.7/10 times (oh, and they know me) if they threw a filter at you/me,
it would fit. Period. Pretty universal in the filter department by a
friggin long shot.

> there are a "couple" of other sizes in use...

yep. I noted one of the two you mentioned. A "couple'" is two.
S2000 is one. What's the other one, honestly? Curious now.
Ridgeline?

>> You can get nylon and other types of washers at any auto parts store.

Now back to sincerity: After doing the one-over plug I figgered I
stay with the alum crush as the dealer does. No difference using
nylon or similar so long as it has a crush/formable factor to it and
won't melt/deform under heat...as compared to stiff generic steel
washer?? I've never tested any other options but do remember nylon
washers on a few cars over time. Maybe the best option considering my
situation. And cheapest.

And, yes, actually...despite the sarcasm...thanks Tigger! Much
obliged yet again :-)

Kevin

Old February 2nd 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Meatman > wrote in news:a4da827c-b86f-4844-9fb6-
:

>> > Don't waste a lot of time on this, please...

> Nice one, Lenny Bruce. I meant don't waste too much time trying to
> find the answer/research. If you know...then you know. That would be
> sufficient info.
>
>> There is just one filter that fits most models (15400-PLM-A02)...

> My point exactly. "I need an Accord filter"."I need a CRX filter".
> 9.7/10 times (oh, and they know me) if they threw a filter at you/me,
> it would fit. Period. Pretty universal in the filter department by a
> friggin long shot.
>
>> there are a "couple" of other sizes in use...

> yep. I noted one of the two you mentioned. A "couple'" is two.
> S2000 is one. What's the other one, honestly? Curious now.
> Ridgeline?

Probably. And an Acura version (maybe the 5-cylinder engine). I'd have to
ask my parts guy to be sure.

>>> You can get nylon and other types of washers at any auto parts store.

> Now back to sincerity: After doing the one-over plug I figgered I
> stay with the alum crush as the dealer does. No difference using
> nylon or similar so long as it has a crush/formable factor to it and
> won't melt/deform under heat...as compared to stiff generic steel
> washer??

You can use just about any kind of washer you want. The dealer's is the
/correct/ one, but if your drain plug doesn't hold too well, it may not be
the best choice for you anymore.

I did some experimentation years ago, and found that gaskets made of nylon
or other gasketing materials held just fine with 20# of torque on the bolt.

> I've never tested any other options but do remember nylon
> washers on a few cars over time. Maybe the best option considering my
> situation. And cheapest.
>
> And, yes, actually...despite the sarcasm...thanks Tigger! Much
> obliged yet again :-)

I try.

--
Tegger
Old February 2nd 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_13_]

pssst: Hey there Christopher Robin, he might appreciate it if you
called him Tegger (as derived from "Integra") instead of Tigger (as
found in Winnie-the-Pooh)

Old February 2nd 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Al > wrote in :

> pssst: Hey there Christopher Robin, he might appreciate it if you
> called him Tegger (as derived from "Integra") instead of Tigger (as
> found in Winnie-the-Pooh)

"Tegger" is in fact derived from both Integra AND Tigger. When I thought of
the name, my daughter was very small, and Tigger was her favorite Pooh
character.

I later discovered I was far from the first to use "Tegger" as a handle.

--
Tegger
Old February 3rd 11, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

<<I try. >>

....and we appreciate it. Smooch!!! (But only in a smart-ass kinda
way!) :-)

<<Hey there Christopher Robin, he might appreciate it if you
called him Tegger (as derived from "Integra") instead of Tigger (as
found in Winnie-the-Pooh) >>

Heh-heh! No offense intended. Me and a buddy *******ize every name,
title, phrase, euphemism, etc possible as it comes to our minds. It's
just a "thing". Nothin' personal except that it's fun...for me
anyway!! :-) Tigger, Beamer, and Nasty. AKA: TEGGER, JIM BEAM, and
ELMO SHAGNASTY. A little levity mixed with proper 'thanks' and
respect can't hurt, right? Besides, (laughing to self!!!!!!), Tigger
has heard much worse! :^) BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS: What's the
most wonderful thing about Tiggers???? Look it up..
-
Sub-thread done! Now, back on topic, people. :-)

Old February 3rd 11, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

As for "AL", I guess you gotta be Alfred or Albert or Alfonso...just
in case the opportunity shows itself in the future. I'll let ya
pick! All in fun. :-) Happy Honda-ing everyone!

Oil drain plug washer? james Technology 1 August 4th 09 03:18 PM
differential oil change and windshield washer fluid [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 March 25th 07 09:25 AM
ZR1 oil drain plug washer. Anthony Cesaroni Corvette 5 May 23rd 06 10:22 PM
Crush Washer [email protected] Honda 19 October 16th 05 03:36 PM
2003 Honda Accord Oil Drain Washer Replacement pencilcup Honda 16 February 28th 05 02:09 PM