Headlight bulb replacement

Old January 6th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Default Headlight bulb replacement

wrote:
> Tegger > wrote:
>> Ay. Plastic body-stuff that lives under the car has an exceedingly hard
>> life indeed. Plus, cars in wrecking yards are carried around by forklift,
>> which tends to destroy everything south of the rocker panels.

>> Ever considered a rice-boy fiberglass kit?

> I haven't even looked underneath yet.
>
> I pulled back from the curb, which seemed harder than when I've grounded
> myself before, but I didn't think much of it.
>
> I did look underneath, and everything seemed okay.
>
> As I drove off down the road, I heard some noise, but the roads were wet,
> and I thought it was tire noise.
>
> When I got on the highway, I realized that it was not a normal noise. I
> pulled over, and I could see something hanging down that had been worn away
> by road abrasion. I used a handy bungee cord to lift it up.
>
> It was raining, so I didn't investigate further. I thought I would be okay
> until after a wedding the next day.
>
> Not.
>
> There was some noise, as the bungee cord and wind competed for control of
> the plastic. The bungee cord lost, flying up onto the hood, and the
> plastic folded back under the car, dragging heavily.
>
> I left it in the parking lot at the wedding, pouring rain.
>
> I came back the next day and tied it up with some hay baling twine in a
> couple of places.
>

> Then it snowed.
>
> I might get under the car eventually, or I might just take it to the local
> body shop and have them "handle it".
>
> I did go back to the parking lot and drive the rebar down below flush with
> the curb piece.
>
> I wondered why people drove around with bungee cords holding up body
> parts. Now I have a little better understanding.

I see litigation by a crafty lawyer in your future...

JT

Old January 7th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
> wrote:

> > I did go back to the parking lot and drive the rebar down below flush with
> > the curb piece.

> I see litigation by a crafty lawyer in your future...

I did have the thought that "someone else is at fault here".
Then I smacked the rebar down with a hammer, looked around for some little
clips that might belong to me, lying on the ground, and got back in my car.

I have a "normal" parking place, here at the "mailbox pod" where folks in
my area get their mail.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.797162,-122.553558
Someone was in "my" spot, and I pulled in to a different spot, and ...
crunch. If I had stopped and had a look when I couldn't back off easily, I
probably could have flexed something and saved my plastic car parts from
damage.

I think I've probably ground off some of the plastic against the road. I
suppose a crawl under this Saturday, with some duct tape and baling wire.

I did glance under there, thinking I might remove it instead of tying it
up. Because it's a hybrid, there is a lot of plastic under there, probably
more than other Civics.

Old January 12th 11, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bucky3

On Jan 4, 11:38*am, wrote:
> And what if there is no alt.autos.honda on my news server?
> I don't get to read your pithy reply?

you can read it on google groups
Old January 12th 11, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

bucky3 > wrote in news:e6431a4d-522a-467a-a92f-9ee9c9d7a335
@f9g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

> On Jan 4, 11:38*am, wrote:
>> And what if there is no alt.autos.honda on my news server?
>> I don't get to read your pithy reply?

> you can read it on google groups

Ewww. Google Groups sucks big time. It's a dumb way to get Usenet.

The free providerEternal September carries it, as does the for-pay Altopia.

--
Tegger
Old January 12th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Tegger" wrote

> The free providerEternal September carries it, as does the for-pay
> Altopia.

news.eternal-september.org

It works great.

Old January 16th 11, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in :

> > There was some noise, as the bungee cord and wind competed for control
> > of the plastic. The bungee cord lost, flying up onto the hood, and
> > the plastic folded back under the car, dragging heavily.

> Aha, that sounds like the splash shield. Given what you've just described,
> the plastic just might be salvageable. It's pretty tough.

Crawling under the car today wasn't very exciting at all.
There is some bubbled up plastic on an edge from road rash, and some breaks
too small to be concerned about, but overall, I think I'll be in fine shape
after replacing 9 of the push-pin fastners.

The piece that hit the ground is about four inches long, from the bumper
back to about the radiator. It wraps up the sides into the fender well,
and I think the fender well connections are all that kept it on the car.

The larger piece of plastic under the engine cavity has some damage, but
that may have been from other road debris over the miles. there are a
couple of pushpins missing of the original 9 in that pan.

I can see where the bumper snagged the piece of rebar and partially tore,
popping some of the pushpins. I found one on top of the engine, pin still
in, but the bulging part of the surrounding plastic was broken off.