'79 CJ5 intake/exhaust manifold gasket

Old March 30th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '79 CJ5 intake/exhaust manifold gasket

Hello all,

I know that a permanent solution for intake/exhaust manifold leaks is to
go to headers. But I want to do an engine swap at some point so I want
to mess with it for a bit longer.

Is there some specific gasket, or something else, one can use/do that
works better then other things ?

I have a leak between manifold and engine and/or exhaust manifold and
exhaust pipe (probably both)

Ron
Old March 30th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All the ones I have seen will tighten up just fine. There is a pattern
to tightening it down, the same as if you were doing a head gasket.
Start in the middle and do a circular spiral pattern out to the ends.

I also find they need a second torque down after running it for a while.

I think I used a 'felpro' (sp?) gasket.

The exhaust pipe fitting might have a donut gasket, but most don't. The
flange is preformed on the manifold. The trick to keeping that one
tight is to have a good solid hanger at the bell housing. If the pipe
runs free to the muffler, it will be swingy and always leak. There
should be a hanger right by the clutch bell crank linkage on the bell
housing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 31st 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ahhh...ok... I think I am missing that hanger near the bellhousing. (I
am pretty sure it is missing. Can those be found after market ?

Ron

Old March 31st 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Most auto-parts stores carry a good selection. If in doubt any muffler
shop can take care of it.

Old March 31st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes, you can use one of those rubber strap type universal hangers. I
have compared the auto parts stores hangers with ones from a muffler
shop and the muffler shop ones are thicker rubber and thicker metal for
the clamping/bolting parts.

Mike

Old April 3rd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

what does the hanger near teh bellhousing look like ?

(You guys have been very helpfull in sending links to pictures
for my ZJ draglink.)

thanks,

Ron

Old April 3rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I just have a universal one on. It has a clamp for the pipe and a strap
with holes punched in it. I used a large washer on either side and one
bell housing bolt. I believe there is a stock bracket I once heard the
muffler guy grumbling about...

It just keeps the pipe moving in tune with the engine so the manifold
'donut' joint stays put.

I could take a photo and email it to you if you would like.

Mike

Old April 10th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If it is opretty straight forward then that's ok.

I have been fighting an exhaust leak several times. Soo that hanger
missing might be the problem.

btw, are there some tricks to get the pipe of the manyfold ? other then
soak it in oil for a while and use an airgun ?

Ron

Old April 10th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I did take a photo of mine and noticed it needs attention pretty quick.
Well it's broke and I don't have a leak 'yet' but soon will I am sure.
I broke/shattered that engine mount and the twisting seems to have
ripped the hanger. Something else to fix...

I have posted the photo he
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290636987

The nuts on the studs for the pipe should be brass. A soak and a normal
wrench should even do it.

Mike

Old April 10th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike have you been using Guinness to flush the radiator again?
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...90636987&idx=5

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>I did take a photo of mine and noticed it needs attention pretty quick.
> Well it's broke and I don't have a leak 'yet' but soon will I am sure.
> I broke/shattered that engine mount and the twisting seems to have
> ripped the hanger. Something else to fix...
>
> I have posted the photo he
> http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290636987
>
> The nuts on the studs for the pipe should be brass. A soak and a normal
> wrench should even do it.
>
> Mike
>
> Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>>
>> If it is opretty straight forward then that's ok.
>>
>> I have been fighting an exhaust leak several times. Soo that hanger
>> missing might be the problem.
>>
>> btw, are there some tricks to get the pipe of the manyfold ? other then
>> soak it in oil for a while and use an airgun ?
>>
>> Ron
>>
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>
>> > I just have a universal one on. It has a clamp for the pipe and a
>> > strap
>> > with holes punched in it. I used a large washer on either side and one
>> > bell housing bolt. I believe there is a stock bracket I once heard the
>> > muffler guy grumbling about...
>> >
>> > It just keeps the pipe moving in tune with the engine so the manifold
>> > 'donut' joint stays put.
>> >
>> > I could take a photo and email it to you if you would like.
>> >
>> > Mike

Intake manifold gasket leaking......... Peter Griffin Technology 3 March 23rd 06 08:21 PM
AWA [OFFER] HEAD GASKET [email protected] General 0 March 15th 06 11:52 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Gasket replacement - 1992 525i Scott BMW 6 October 2nd 04 04:02 AM
Gasket Source Ken Doyle Antique cars 0 August 26th 03 02:16 AM