2.0 JTS

Old January 26th 05, 02:04 PM
Dombrek

Default 2.0 JTS

I'm thinking of buying Alfa 156 2002/3. Has anyone good or bad experience
with 2.0 JTS engine? I've heard it's fast, but could you tell me sth more
about it? Fuel consumption, reliability, etc.
Thanks for all answers
Dombrek

Old January 26th 05, 10:52 PM
news.chello.nl

That's a JTS of the first generation.
Reliability as such is o.k., but remember Alfa did not make this engine for
fuel economy but for power!
Normal fuel consumption (whatever that may be) is around 9ltr/100km, but
6ltr/100km and 15ltr/100km can also come out (depending on how heavy your
foot is)
In this first generation, Alfa suffered from a very large spread in
tolerances of the engine parts, so engine power varies quite a lot between
engines.
I heard that effective HP could range between 140 and 175 HP !!!
Go for a drive and see how the car performes.
0-100 kmh as well as the top speed indicates the performance.
Also check the oil level as the "bad" engines also burn oil at a higher
rate.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Dombrek" > schreef in bericht

Old January 26th 05, 10:57 PM
Dombrek

Thank you very much for your answer - really helpful. Maybe I'll consider
"normal" 2.0 TS because this engine I like.
Dombrek

Old April 1st 05, 05:33 PM
Steve Drake

Do you know what year they start to get better?

I have a 2002 JTS and it uses lots of oil, i top up every 1300 miles or so,
i read a website that sugest that the first gen JTS dont have quality parts.
I am getting a new 2004 JTS next week (it should have been today ) and i
am hoping that this will be better.

The 2002 JTS is still great to drive, but i always have a nagging feeling
about it being 140BHP when i paid for 165BHP, but it does seem to preform OK
but i have nothing to compare it agaist.

Steve

Old April 5th 05, 09:56 PM
Wayne via CarKB.com

I have a late UK 2002 52 plate JTS...I keep getting the annoying "motor
control system failure"

has been back to garage under warranty about 7 times in last 18 months..

To fix the problem I have had lamda sensor re-wired twice, accelerator
pedal replaced, boot catch wiring re-wired...is going back to garage again
tomorrow..see what is done this time??? ill let you know...

Have also had speedo replaced as the service counter could not be reset
and rev counter replaced to stop rear fog lights coming on of their own
accord.

When the car is on the road its a pleasure to drive...

Has anyone had a permanent fix for this problem?

Old April 5th 05, 10:32 PM
alfistagj

What the h*** does lamda sensor re-wired twice, accelerator pedal replaced,
boot catch wiring re-wired have to do with "motor control system failure".
Like filling the tank when you have a flat tyre.
Looks like a ECU travelling in emergency mode to me; most likely a ground
fault on the ECU itself.
The ECU units very rarely fail internally.
Could be that a fresh software download could do the job as well (max. 10
min work and no parts involved!)
Speedo/rev.counter/fog lights indicate a likely ground fault as well.
Find yourself a good official dealer (no comments please........, at least
they have / should have the most recent software readily available)
Good luck.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Wayne via CarKB.com" > schreef in bericht

Old April 6th 05, 11:03 PM
Wayne via CarKB.com

thanks for the advice!! sounds promising

....I do use a local official Alfa Dealer..unsuccessfully as of yet though!!
they reckoned the re-wiring of the lamda sensor was a fix that Alfa (or
manufacturers of sensor) had come up with saying that the sensor was
pulling apart temporarliy when driving...

I will call them and suggest the fix...will let you know how I get on..

I really want to enjoy my Alfa to the full..does every one get the same
grin when behind the wheel and listen to the engine or is it just me??

Cheers

Wayne

Old April 8th 05, 08:35 PM
alfistagj

That's what they call the Alfisti feeling.
People that don't have that will never get it......
I'm grinning since our families first Alfa way back in 1958 (I'm from
1953....)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)